“I found this restaurant subpar”

San Chez a Tapas Bistro
Ranked #4 of 943 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Commerce
Transit: The Metro system of Grand Rapids called "The Rapid" has 6 lines that stop directly in front of 38 West Commerce. They are 1, 2, 3, 4, 14, 15.
“I found this restaurant subpar”
Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

I am from Boston and NYC so I'm used to some restaurant surprises.

However, having to find out you only get a skimpy portion of Jamon? The restaurants in downtown GR to be surprisingly pricey, but this was a surprise.

Plus, I was charged 20+% for a service fee for a table of four.

I'm not going back

• Visited May 2013

• Korean first
“Fun to share and try new plates”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

My boyfriend and I ventured to this tapas restaurant after seeing several good reviews on trip advisor. We loved being able to share different plates and were pleased with our selections. Our favorite was the assorted ham and cheese plate...it also has great fruit spreads, nuts, and fun goodies. Our server was attentive and checked in often. The food runner was also great and took time to explain each dish that was brought out. Our only complaint would be the price. I am a tapas fanatic and think $8-$9 a plate is typical price of any tapas dish. The average cost of San Chez's plates were $12-$15 and not exceptional enough to justify the cost. Our carafe (not pitcher) of Sangria was $20. Our total bill for two people was $100 for five plates and one carafe of sangria...I would have expected $60-$70 for what we ordered.

• Visited April 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“Ate at the Cafe...”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

San Chez also has a smaller cafe adjacent to the Bistro that is a great place for a business lunch since it's not as much of a tapas as the main restaurant...so meals are quicker and easier to figure out. The Bistro's great, but sometimes that's just not what you're looking for -- if you know what I mean. I had lunch at the Cafe this week with people that I had never met and had a great time. The food was tasty and the atmosphere was perfect for having a conversation. I had a curried chicken salad that was savory and really hit the spot. Others around the table had meals that included everything from soup to breakfast and everybody was happy with their selections. The Cafe is bright and open because of the large windows looking out on the skyline of Grand Rapids and the active street life. Parking is available behind the building, there's also metered parking, and there's a nearby parking ramp.

Visited April 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
“It's a Hit or Miss”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I had the Steak and tortellini and the tortellini's were burnt to the bottom of the skillet it was served in. Seemed like it was sitting in the oven for too long or underneath the hot lamp. The sauce it was served in was good but i could have used more of it. I would go back for the sangria and blue cheese fritters.

• Visited March 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
“my favorite place !”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Love eating here with a group of adventerous friends. We share the Tapas and enjoy the variety - have a few favorites too. Great Sangria! great service.