“Not bad, but not good enough”
Review of Bombay Cuisine

Bombay Cuisine
Ranked #218 of 928 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children
Battle Creek, Michigan
“Not bad, but not good enough”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I met friends at Bombay Cuisine, and I have to say that we had a good time. Bombay has a lot of beverage options (including those from the bar next door), so we enjoyed trying the variety of draught beers. The atmosphere was fairly nice, but it is located on a busy street, so I'm glad we didn't agree to sit on the patio.

Unfortunately, the food was just OK. The chicken saag was a bit bland, and my friend thought his chicken tikka masala wasn't near spicy enough. I agree with other reviewers that it is expensive. Between a few beers, an appetizer, 1 order of naan, and 2 chicken entrees, our bill totaled over $70 for two people.

I don't think we'll be back. We definitely prefer the food at Saffron in Kalamazoo.

• Visited June 2011

Grand Rapids, Michigan
“A pleasant experience but prices are out of line”
Reviewed May 1, 2011

I went to Bombay Cuisine for a special occasion dinner with a friend and I have to admit I was a little disappointed with the place. I had been there years ago before they expanded it and now it is nothing like what I remember. Although the service and atmosphere were pleasant, I felt the prices were way out of line for what they are serving. My friend ordered palak paneer as an entree which was about $16. It had only 3 pieces of paneer cheese in it, the rest was just the spinach mixture. It was tasty but didn't seem like it was worth the $16. Spinach isn't that expensive, and that's mostly what this was. I ordered a spicy eggplant dish which tasted good and had some spice to it. For what is going into these entrees, especially the vegetarian ones, the prices are just way out of line. The bulk of this is not expensive ingredients (spinach, rice, bread, chick peas).

Also, the wine selection was disappointing. The wines are only available by the bottle and are overpriced, like $32 for a bottle of wine that is available at the grocery store for $8. They should be able to offer this type of wine by the glass for $5 or $6. Also, the chutneys we received at our table were completely watered down. We didn't remember them being watery before so we asked our server about it. She said that they had changed the recipe. This strikes me as greedy, especially since Bombay is a relatively expensive place to eat.

I understand that part of what you pay for when you dine out is the atmosphere, service and overall experience, not just the food. However, I can't quite get past the high prices at this establishment, especially since they really skimped on some of the items.

• Visited April 2011
Portage, Michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Expensive,”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

Food is OK. Very expensive.
Plates were not clean. I could clearly see food from or opus diner on so called clean plates

• Visited April 2011
Santa Barbara, California
“Very disappointed.”
Reviewed July 29, 2010

I love Indian food and have enjoyed it at many different restaurants (outside of Grand Rapids). Bombay Cuisine has a very high TripAdvisor rating so I was expecting something special. The restaurant is in an interesting neighborhood, the decor and ambiance is comfortable and our waiter was very friendly. The menu showed all my favorites and our party of 4 ordered several different dishes. Don't buy the awful cheap wine - get bottled beer. The samosas were pretty good but were served cold in the center. ALL of the entrees were really bad, not resembling good Indian cooking at all. The raita and chutneys were watery and there is only plain white rice.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Yummy Indian food, in my...”
Reviewed April 25, 2009

Yummy Indian food, in my opinion. Their Sunday buffet is quite tasty. However, I haven't been to their new location next door....

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook