“pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #24 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Dearborn Heights, Mi
“pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

This hotel was a step above. Very clean rooms, clean pool, Fast wireless internet, great workout room, friendly staff and check in was a breeze. The only negative to this hotel is that there is no free breakfast included. There is a restaurant but they charge. Other chains provide a free meal which helps cut costs. Great stay otherwise. We would definitely be back on our next go around. Jacuzzi was nice but way to much chlorine. Our eyes were watering.

Room Tip: No free breakfast at this location
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sfromd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
USA
Reviewed September 2, 2013

I have stayed here at least twice previously but this time was excellent in all aspects. The hotel has made a lot of improvements very clean and a good shuttle service updated rooms and a fantastic front desk staff one downside is the somewhat limited evening meal menu. Food is good but uninspiring . But this is a great choice for the area and proximity to business.

• Stayed August 2013
JLawn, General Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a response. I am glad that you have noticed the changes occurring at our hotel. The staff has worked very hard to improve themselves along with the hotel itself. We look forward to showing off more of our changes on your next stay.

Thank you for being a loyal guest.
Waxhaw, North Carolina
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The beds were very comfortable! My family and I were in town for a wedding. We were the I
Only guests staying at theis hotel, because quite frankly it was much cheaper then the Staybridge across the street. Our room, pool area and fitness areas were well cleaned and maintained. The hotel has a restaurant, but we did not eat there so no comments. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel 7 times in the past 7 months and have always had an enjoyable experience. The staff know me by name, remember my preferences and are always willing to help or answer any questions I have or just ask how I've been since my last visit. The customer service is the best in the area and the hotel itself is always clean and tidy. I was there during a snow storm earlier this year and the staff even went outside to clean off my rental so that I could get in and out of the car without any hassle. Whenever I am in town, which is every 3-5 weeks, I ALWAYS stay at this property even if there are cheaper locations available. The customer service and overall experience are worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Rockford, Illinois, United States
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Very nice property in the Grand Rapids area about 10 minutes from the downtown area. Staff was very friendly and helpful. My wife and I stayed here during a visit to Michigan International Speedway for a race weekend. If headed to MIS, you're about 2 hours away if you stay here which is not a bad drive at all. Highly recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The drive down 28th Street in Grand Rapids can be pretty crazy, and it seems as though it's been under construction for years. Lake Eastbrook Road crosses 28th Street and the hotel is tucked away from the hustle and bustle, about a block behind a Panera. I stayed at the hotel using reward points (I have stayed there many times before) and I was pleased. It's clean and the staff is nice (Matt checked me in). There's one oddity of room design in that the bathroom door also serves as a door to close off the toilet area (thus someone could close him or herself in the toilet area and the shower area would be open to the rest of the hotel room). I think it is better for a business traveler than families traveling because of this. There are adjoining rooms in the hotel and you do hear a little noise from those, although I was there at the height of vacation season. This particular Holiday Inn has a full-service restaurant (and, as I mentioned, other restaurants in walking distance). It's a short drive to the Calvin College Prince Conference Center, which is where I had a meeting. Good news on the Prince Conference Center - if you turn left on 28th (leaving the hotel) and right on Beltline (37), you'll come to Calvin College in a mile or so. The college spans BOTH sides of the street, with a pedestrian bridge and a tunnel beneath. I figured the 1800 address for the Prince Conference Center meant it would be on the side of the street opposite from where it was actually located, so the first night I circled through the seminary entrance and drove through the tunnel under the highway to the correct side of campus. The next morning, I realized that going north on 37 (Beltline), I could actually just turn right into the conference center (I let my GPS do the guiding the second time).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Grand Rapids, Michigan, United States
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I live in Grand Rapids, but I had to stay at this hotel for a few days while I was between a house I had rented and one I had bought. I had my two kids with me as well. It was a great stay!
Granted, I got a great rate on Hotwire, but had I paid full-price, I would have been happy here.
It is a fairly new (I think) hotel in a very quiet area yet close to food and shopping. The staff there was amazing, and seemed genuinely concerned with my stay.
There is a lounge and restaurant on-site, though the breakfast prices were a little high and the lounge staff was inattentive, at least the one time I went. I'm used to a free breakfast at hotels, and spending $20 for my kids and me seemed high.
The pool and the exercise rooms were in great shape, and the kids had a blast in the larger-than-normal pool, as did I.
The internet connection was solid and reliable, and there is also a nice business center in the lobby area.
The rooms were quiet and comfortable. The showers were amazing, but I have come to expect that from the Holiday Inn brand.
Overall, a great stay! I will suggest this to people coming to Grand Rapids.

Room Tip: This hotel is in a quiet area, so I suspect all the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family