“Convenient location in a relatively quiet spot”

Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport
Ranked #18 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed August 20, 2013

The drive down 28th Street in Grand Rapids can be pretty crazy, and it seems as though it's been under construction for years. Lake Eastbrook Road crosses 28th Street and the hotel is tucked away from the hustle and bustle, about a block behind a Panera. I stayed at the hotel using reward points (I have stayed there many times before) and I was pleased. It's clean and the staff is nice (Matt checked me in). There's one oddity of room design in that the bathroom door also serves as a door to close off the toilet area (thus someone could close him or herself in the toilet area and the shower area would be open to the rest of the hotel room). I think it is better for a business traveler than families traveling because of this. There are adjoining rooms in the hotel and you do hear a little noise from those, although I was there at the height of vacation season. This particular Holiday Inn has a full-service restaurant (and, as I mentioned, other restaurants in walking distance). It's a short drive to the Calvin College Prince Conference Center, which is where I had a meeting. Good news on the Prince Conference Center - if you turn left on 28th (leaving the hotel) and right on Beltline (37), you'll come to Calvin College in a mile or so. The college spans BOTH sides of the street, with a pedestrian bridge and a tunnel beneath. I figured the 1800 address for the Prince Conference Center meant it would be on the side of the street opposite from where it was actually located, so the first night I circled through the seminary entrance and drove through the tunnel under the highway to the correct side of campus. The next morning, I realized that going north on 37 (Beltline), I could actually just turn right into the conference center (I let my GPS do the guiding the second time).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I live in Grand Rapids, but I had to stay at this hotel for a few days while I was between a house I had rented and one I had bought. I had my two kids with me as well. It was a great stay!
Granted, I got a great rate on Hotwire, but had I paid full-price, I would have been happy here.
It is a fairly new (I think) hotel in a very quiet area yet close to food and shopping. The staff there was amazing, and seemed genuinely concerned with my stay.
There is a lounge and restaurant on-site, though the breakfast prices were a little high and the lounge staff was inattentive, at least the one time I went. I'm used to a free breakfast at hotels, and spending $20 for my kids and me seemed high.
The pool and the exercise rooms were in great shape, and the kids had a blast in the larger-than-normal pool, as did I.
The internet connection was solid and reliable, and there is also a nice business center in the lobby area.
The rooms were quiet and comfortable. The showers were amazing, but I have come to expect that from the Holiday Inn brand.
Overall, a great stay! I will suggest this to people coming to Grand Rapids.

Room Tip: This hotel is in a quiet area, so I suspect all the rooms are fine.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The Holiday Inn was the same quality that we expected-clean, neat, staff was welcoming, room was fine-comfortable bed, quiet and dark at night-just what we wanted. The price was better than the other Inns in town and the location was fine. We chose it only because of a trip change and it was the only one available at the last minute. We would stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband, 5 year old son, and I booked a room for a little get away from home (we live about 20 minutes away). The ladies at the front desk were very pleasant and helpful. Immediately after check in we visited the pool which was very nice and well maintained (I hate it when u get to the pool and there are no pool towels). The room we had was very nice. There were a few stains on the carpet where it looked like a little kid had colored on the carpet (no big deal, I'm not gonna sleep on the floor!) The bathroom was very clean as were the beds. We had breakfast buffet this morning at the restaurant downstairs. It was normal breakfast fair (eggs, meat, cereal, breads) it was fine. I am very happy with this hotel - we will definately book again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Stayed here on the first night of our family vacation. We were traveling with youg children and needed adjoining rooms. The staff was very attentive to our needs from the time we made our reservation until our departure. The property was beautiful and well kept. Rooms were spacious and spotless! Loved this property and would certainly stay again when in the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2013

If you are looking for an place close to the airport, this a a good place. Very easy to get to. Everything was very clean, the staff was very attentive, just a nice place overall. I will stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 20, 2013

When going to Grand Rapids recently we stayed at this hotel. It looked new and clean from the outside, but once inside it was a different story. Even though we had reservations we were given the handicap room which had dirty carpets, was very dark and had a broken desk chair with stains. The bathroom was minimal. The beds were clean superficially, but one wonders in view of the room appearance. The restaurant did not seem appealing so we did not eat there. Had a drink in the bar which was decent. Needs some constant maintenance to improve this property.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear drishi,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit at our hotel. My apologies for the inconvenience you experienced over the cleanliness and condition of the room. Your comments will be forwarded to the ownership of the hotel to take into consideration for future upgrades. Despite your disappointment I do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention. We all hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Karen G.