“Yum”

erb thai
Ranked #462 of 963 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Everything is good at this reasonably priced, friendly neighborhood restaurant. Great for take out. Love the peanut curry. No alcohol.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I go out of my way to eat at this thai restaraunt. Is it the best in the country? No. But it is a local, small restaraunt that serves up a delicious plate of thai food. If you want to enjoy some good thai food in a low key atmosphere - try it. It is not fancy, it is not pricy; it is only good. Not a "intimate setting" if you want a traditional romantic night, but if you want a casual spot where the staff will be friendly and serve good good I recommend this.
To the reviewer that gave this place 2 stars and compared it to his favorite restaraunt in Santa Fe, NM -- good luck finding perfection.

1  Thank BreakfastOutAVL
Reviewed August 16, 2012

I wish I could tell you that this place was great. I wish there was a truly amazing Thai restaurant in GR, but there isn't. My Gal has been to Thailand on numerous occasions. I even worked in a great one called Star of Siam in Santa Fe, NM when I was much younger. (Man, I didn't know how good I had it.) So, I'm not just talking out of my rear end right now. Erb Thai started out pretty darned good. When they first opened, before they even had silverware or plates, just take out boxes and chopsticks- they were really doing something right. The food was flavorful. They used a lot of fresh peppers, basil, garlic, onions, cilantro, scallions, bean sprouts, you know, THAI FOOD. Then, something changed. I'd order Yum Nuea on a Monday for lunch and be super happy with the dish, come back on a Wednesday and get something that looked (and tasted) like someone who had never tasted Thai food made it from leftovers. Believe me, we gave this place numerous attempts to redeem itself, but the inconsistency slowly grew into consistently poor. The last time we tried to eat here in the hopes of a return to it's former tendencies was the last time I will ever eat there. No fresh herbs. No fresh chilies, only dried powder. It's a shame. We have eaten here and overheard other frequent diners ask, "who's cooking today?" Or, "Did you guy's change owners?"
If you go and have a great meal don't expect to have the same experience the next time.
Good luck.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

If you're gluten-intolerant or vegan, get ready for a special treat! This Thai restaurant goes out of their way to cater to those with such dietary needs. I've found it so easy to work with the wait staff and kitchen at Erb Thai, and I feel confident that I get what I ask for (and need) when I dine there. Here's a link to their Allergen/Vegan Guide: http://www.erbthaigr.com/images/food_allergies-info.pdf

Additionally, I've dined at Erb Thai many times, and I've haven't been disappointed with their menu. The vegetables are always fresh, service is fast, and the dishes are always presented well. They make their own peanut sauce, and it's fantastic. Their menu has a clearly explained spectrum of choices for how much heat/spice you may want in your dish: http://www.erbthaigr.com/images/ErbThai-Menu%28June2012%29.pdf. Their spice levels are truly what they say they are. For me, I can handle heat, but I don't like to be in pain when I eat; the Medium+ is just right for me.

The only downside is the value. The portions are "just right": you'll leave full and have no leftovers. However, I'm accustomed to taking home leftovers at other Thai restaurants for the same price per dish. So, you lose a little value here, but the variety, freshness, and dietary accommodations pretty well make up for it.