“Great vegan food”

Garden Diner and Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed August 10, 2013

It's hard to find vegan restaurants (or even vegetarian for that matter) so I thought it was awesome when I found this place when planning our day trip to Grand Rapids. We went for lunch and had the collard greens (really good!!), michigander (black bean burger), curried lentil salad, burrito, a "green" smoothie (It was actually purple - as there were probably blueberries in it along with the greens) and got some grilled tofu and GF/raw chocolate cake to take home. Being mostly vegan already for the last year for the health benefits, we thought everything here was great. The michigander, curried lentils, collard greens, grilled tofu and cake were things that I think everyone would enjoy even if you're not vegan. The burrito filling is subject to change/chef's choice so that one probably depends on the day, but it was a very nice large portion and my husband seemed to enjoy it though had to take half home because it was quite large and filling. I enjoyed the green smoothie since I make them at home regularly, but if one is not already accustomed to non-dairy, non-sweetened smoothies with greens in them, I could see where others might not care for it much. The service was very friendly and the atmosphere was fun and hip. We will definitely be back next time we're planning a trip to the area.

Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

The food here is just Delicious! We had the taco salad and the chick pea melt. I can't even tell you how often I think of both and my mouth waters. Definitely stop here if you get the chance. Great food, great people. Would love to see some juicing here but other than that is perfect.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had breakfast at Bartertown Diner and loved it. I had the big breakfast and my husband had the oat cakes. We loved the food and will go back the next time we are in the area. People are helpful and friendly.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

After reading the reviews on Trip Advisor, I knew I had to try it out while in town for work. It is very difficult to find vegetarian restaraunts. I stopped in for lunch. Cool vibe. I ordered the mint tea (yummy) and the chick pea melt. It was amazing. Trying to figure out how I can make another trip here before leaving town. My sandwich was huge and the prices were reasonable (8.50). Wish I lived closer...

Reviewed June 10, 2013

I try to go here every time that I am in GR. I have brought some non vegetarian friends here as well, and they love the food. One went so far is to comment that if all Vegan food tasted like this she could become vegan!