Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park
Open today: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
Stunning!

One of the most delightful places in the whole USA. Along with miles of gardens, lots of annual... read more

Reviewed yesterday
KMarmion
Grand Rapids, Michigan
via mobile
Stunning Gardens

Loved spending time meandering the pathways through these magnificent gardens. Beautiful plants... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Linda M
via mobile

Recommended experiences in and around Grand Rapids
from $51.00
More Info
2,846 results
All reviews children's garden japanese garden butterfly exhibit meijer gardens tram tour christmas trees from around the world summer concert series gardens are beautiful beautiful place to visit world class tree house all ages great lakes year round something for everyone gift shop da vinci
Selected filters
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We only had about 90 minutes to explore the gardens, but I would have loved much more time. We spent our time on the rooftop garden, the indoor exhibits, and the children’s garden. My 10 year old had a blast in the children’s garden. My husband and I also enjoyed it and actually I didn’t even realize that we were still in the children’s garden after 60 minutes. There’s so much to see and do! We loved how the sculptures are interspersed with the gardens. I would love to return and explore the rest of the grounds.

1  Thank 351jenna
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Beautiful sculpture and Gardens. Took the trolly for an overview - very worth it. Loved the Japanese Gardens- very tranquil.
Only one wish- would loves to know the names of many of the outdoor plantings. No tags or signs.
Worth stopping. If we lived closer we’d have a membership for sure !

1  Thank J4973KWkathyh
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My mother passed away in 2010 at the age of 94. She was an avid gardener and the first to have a membership introducing me to this magnificent facility. She met Fred and Lena on a bus trip to Mackinac Island. Fred had just recieved the plans and ok to obtain the da Vinci horse. He was so excited showing her the plans and talking about this outstanding acquisition. A few years later Mom was in the gift shop at the gardens when Fred came in. He came over to her and struck up a conversation remembering her from the trip they shared. She was shocked he remembered her, but it is that humble caring, sharing and love for people by Fred and Lena that is so evident in Meijer Gardens. It is a beautiful inspiration for young and old, master gardeners and those who don't dig in the dirt but appreciate natures beauty. In the years since, my husband and I have maintained a yearly membership to Meijer Gardens. There is something there for all to enjoy. We live about 40 miles away in Muskegon and visit numerous times throughout the year. It has become a tradition for my husband and myself, plus our daughter and 9 year old grandson to visit the butterfly exhibit. Such a spectacular display and beautiful way to welcome spring. Our grandson is thrilled when one lands on him. We always have to visit the children's garden with its sensory garden, sandbox to play archiologist and dig in for buried treasures, the log cabin to step back in time, the fantastic tree house and a water exhibit featuring the great lakes for kids to splash in and race boats. Beautiful flowers and trees are everywhere to delight the senses. The Japanese Gardens are absolutely magnificent from the authentic tea house to the bonsai exhibit. You are transported to a state of peace and tranquility. There is a replica of the farm where Lena grew up and a sculpture garden that will take your breath away in its grandeur, This is where you will find Fred's pride and joy, the magnificent da Vinci horse. You will be in awe experiencing its majesty. Inside they always have rotating exhibits, classes to enhance your knowledge of horticulture, a lovely café and a gift shop to round out your visit.

Every area of the facility is thoughtfully and beautifully laid out. During the Christmas holiday they have a festival of trees decorated in the traditions of various countries. Everywhere is beautifully decorated for the season and kids of all ages enjoy the train running above and the lovely vignettes all made from natures bounty. It is also great fun to take a horse drawn ride through the park. During the summer months they offer a wonderful outdoor concert series.

Plan on staying for a few hours as there is lots to see and enjoy. Dress appropriately for the outdoors and toss in suntan lotion. Especially wear comfortable walking shoes as there are miles of grounds to explore. For a slightly extra fee, they offer a tram with guides who provide narration and information about various aspects of the park. I would recommend this ride to enhance your understanding and appreciation of the sculptures and park. Sadly, you are not allowed to get on and off the tram. In my experience, everything from the grounds to the restrooms are clean and pristine.

If I had one negative to share it would be the lack of handicap friendly and senior citizen considerations. This year they are undergoing major renovations and expansion. Parking is not close to the enterance and there are no shuttles. They do have wheelchairs located in the parking lot, but those are not always the answer. It is a considerable walk and a shuttle would be nice not only for seniors and handicapped but for families with young children, as well. Once inside the gardens you find the same issue. You must walk everywhere. You cannot go through one area to get to another on the opposite side, you must go completely around the perimeter of each. There are no openings to take shortcuts nor are the openings in close proximity to another. To go from the Japanese garden to the main building you must walk around the entire children's garden. There are considerable seniors who love gardening and who would like to enjoy the splendor of this fabulous facility but their needs are not being adaquately met. My husband has back issues and can only walk a short distance before he has to stop. He does not need a wheelchair, but, can not make it through the entire facility and often ends up waiting for us back at the main building. I feel so bad for him because he misses so much, especially participating in the memories and delight of sharing with our grandson. He did not join us this year due to this issue. If he could simply get on and off the tram at the different areas, it would be tremendous. We would even be willing to spend extra for a tram that would offer such a convenience. I'm sure others would also appreciate this consideration in meeting their needs.

Over all, I would highly recommend Meijer Gardens. It is a magnificent place filled with glorious sites that are good for the soul and senses. You won't regret a visit to this special place.

Date of experience: May 2019
1  Thank rainbowhorse
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What a lovely place, plenty of parking of course we went midweek. The grounds were clean beautiful and well thought out. The tea garden was amazing and the sculptures were, hard to describe impressive and thought provoking

1  Thank 2kf
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Frederik Meijer Gardens & Sculpture Park is a can’t miss place to visit in Grand Rapids. Acres of gardens with some of the best sculpture in America. Multiple trams are available to move help tour or wander at your own leisure. Indoor gardens including a desert scape and a garden of succulents that eat bugs! There is a great children’s garden and cafeteria, so you can plan a fun day.

Date of experience: July 2019