“Appropriate amounts of delightful food”
Review of Grove

Reserve with OpenTable
Grove is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #5 of 979 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Eastern and Cherry
Transit: Route 4 Southbound (Cherry and Eastern) Approximate .14 miles East of the bus stop on Cherry. Located on the North side of Cherry Street.
Description: Grove, an Essence Restaurant Group establishment, brings Farm-to-Table with modern, authentic cuisine featuring our Essence hallmarks: impeccable service and fresh, natural, local ingredients.
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I don't need mountains of food, I need delicious food served tastefully and interestingly by focused waiters. That's what we all found at Grove. What a surprise from appetizer to desert - delicious and we weren't stuffed.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

My wife and I spent a Saturday in Grand Rapids this month to celebrate my daughter's birthday - so we had her select the restaurant. She picked the Grove and we arrived around 5:00pm without reservations. The interior was already half full at that hour but nothing was available indoors due to pending reservations. But the weather was pleasant and there were tables available outdoors on the terrace overlooking the street - so we were directed to table.

The waitress informed us that the menu changed daily so I was expecting rather limited options. I was quite surprised to find a very extensive menu - and every dish on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Course descriptions sounded quite imaginative. It was tough selecting but we managed to order a mole spiced pumpkin soup, a potato soup with celery and fennel, the local farm vegetable salad, Michigan fruit salad with goat cheese and cinnamon vinaigrette, a herb-jalapeno chicken liver dish, a bouillabaisse and the Grove jambalaya.

All dishes were exquisitely prepared, the vegetable tasted very fresh and not overcooked, the dressings appropriate light and not overbearing. The soups were hot with a mix of distinctive but balanced flavors coming through. All the seafood was succulent and their delicate flavors preserved. I was most surprised with the chicken livers. In addition to the herb-jalapeno, the livers were lightly wrapped with corn tortilla chilaquiles, pickled green tomato and a crème fraiche My wife had a chilled glass of Chilean Sauvignon Blanc while daughter and I had two different hot teas. The dishes were made to be savored without haste! Absolutely wonderful!

All in all, if you are any kind of a foodie, I cannot recommend this restaurant enough. I will definitely search it out - and make reservations next time I'm in town.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

We booked this restaurant in advance based on reviews that we read here as well as their menu. We parked down the street and around the corner as there is very limited parking. They do offer valet for $10 if needed. The restaurant itself was pretty small and in turn was quite loud. It was packed on a Sat. night at 7:30pm. Looking at the menu, we were disappointed that it was completely different than what was displayed on their website. I don't eat red meat, but looking online there were several meal options for me with chicken or seafood. But, at the restaurant there were hardly any options that didn't include some form of beef or pork. I ended up ordering a first corse and second corse option with no main dish. It was good, but not as good as I was expecting. My mom ordered the beef salad as her main dish and was surprised when she received it with no beef on it at all. She had to wait for the waitress to come back to tell her, then instead of taking her plate to have a new salad made, they brought out a little plate with the beef that my mom had to put onto her salad. Just a bit tacky. We were wanted to share some dessert at the table, but nothing on their dessert menu was appealing to any of us. We were disappointed overall with our experience.

1  Thank natys_mommy
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Make a reservation, as much in advance as you can! I booked a week in advance and there were still only one or two slots available for one person.

The food was incredible. I had the quail, beet salad, and ribeye. Each plate was flawlessly presented, and the flavors were complex but expertly blended. Everything was SO full of flavor. Great ambiance, as well -- busy, but the environment is warm and inviting. Also, the butterscotch pudding is basically my favorite thing ever. I'll definitely be back.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have never had food this fresh. We have been to many restaurants around the world. Some rated best in the world, but Grove is by far the best! Contemporary cuisine with fresh ingredients. You can definitely taste that this is truly a "farm to fork" restaurant.
We had the brie, trout dip and duck/salmon rillettes. They were very flavourful. The duck confit quesadilla and thai beef salad were my favourites. We would go back in a heartbeat. If this were located in my neighbourhood, I would go everyday. The ingredients are fresh, and there are plenty of healthy options. Our server was very knowledgeable about the menu and about food/wine in general. If I remember correctly, her name was Melissa!