“Disappointing and overpriced”

Ruth's Chris Steak House
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #11 of 984 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Pearl at Monroe
Description: At Ruth's Chris Grand Rapids inside the Amway Grand Plaza Hotel we're picky about our steaks and you should be picky about your steak houses. That's why we serve only the finest USDA Prime beef available. Our steaks are hand-selected from the top 2% of the country's beef, broiled to perfection and served the Ruth's Chris signature way: sizzling on a 500 degree plate so that every last bite stays hot and delicious. And if you're in the mood for something a little different, choose from our Chef's Seasonal Specials, fresh seafood selections, classic sides and homemade desserts. So whatever the occasion, Ruth's Chris is the perfect excuse to enjoy the perfect night out.
Reviewed December 21, 2013

My husband and I were there on December 20th and had a very disappointing experience.While the ambiance and furnishings are lovely, the food was mostly marginal.The crab cake appetizer was okay, the onion rings were okay, the Caesar salad was really sub-par...the greens were NOT green and the dressing was very typical, nothing special. My husband's filet entre was dry and flavorless. My Rib-eye was almost inedible...fatty and tough. Relative to the sides, the potatoes au gratin were undercooked, but the creamed spinach was delicious. The apple dessert was wonderful and one portion was more than enough for the two of us. They had kindly added "Happy Anniversary" to the presentation. Between our martinis, glass of wine with dinner, and above mentioned food items, the tab was slightly over $300. We've often spent this for dinner, but on this occasion felt like we'd been taken. Last night for the first time, Ruth Chris felt like what it is........an over-priced chain restaurant. There are far better places to eat in West Michigan.

1  Thank Lynn S

Reviewed December 1, 2013

Went here for a business dinner. The steak was amazing. Perfectly cooked and seasoned, then coated with butter .... yum! This is the best steak I have ever had. Server was extremely helpful and made great suggestions on wine, meals, and dessert. Would love to go again, but at $50 per steak, $8 each for a salad and potato it is a bit out of our price range. Highly recommend if price isn't a consideration.

Carrie S, Manager at Ruth's Chris Steak House, responded to this reviewResponded December 5, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for dining with us for your business dinner! I am so glad you enjoyed your steak, and we are honored you consider it the best steak of your life. I am also glad your service was exceptional - we are fortunate to have a great service staff. We hope to host you again for another memorable meal very soon!

At your service,

C. Kolehouse

Reviewed November 24, 2013

We celebrated our 10th anniversary with a treat at Ruth's Chris. Our server, Jake, took such good care of us. His assistant, Jovon, was also friendly and personable. They made us feel like valued guests.
It was nice that they weren't "stuffy", once they figured out that we weren't the sophisticated types who do fine dining more than once a year.
We were even treated to some sparkling wine and our desserts even had chocolate congratulatory messages on them.
The $120 meal set us back a bit, but it's worth it for a special anniversary.

1  Thank kOps210

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for choosing Ruth's Chris to celebrate your 10th anniversary! We are always flattered when guests decide to commemorate their special occasions with a dining experience with us. I am glad you enjoyed the wonderful service from Jake and Jovon, and the little treats provided along the way. We hope to host you for many wonderful anniversary (and other) celebrations in the future!

At your service,

C. Kolehouse

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I liked our server and the food we had. The steak and salmon were prepared exactly the way we asked for. I sampled six wines before I chose one to my taste. Portions were moderate and expensive-this was our 40th anniversary, so we went "all out". They were there to please, and asked often.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

During the conference we were attending, my wife and I took business associates for a great steak dinner at Ruth's Chris - it was the right choice!