“Good hotel..some safety concerns”

Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
Ranked #39 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Michigan
“Good hotel..some safety concerns”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

The hotel is large and they claim to have an indoor waterpark....waterpark is a pool with a slide. The rooms are large and clean. The bathrooms however were not as clean as they could be, there was dirt in the corners and stained bathmats in tubs. If you have small children BE WARNED the rooms have large windows with no screens. There is no free breafast you have to pay over $3.00 for what other hotesl offer for free. On the other hand there are tons of great places to eat very close to the hotel and most are family friendly including discounts or free meals for kids.Cleaning staff is very rude. knocked on our door and told us it was time to go 30 minutes before checout. Got a good deal on the hotel using hotwire. I would not pay rack rate to stay at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
Kalamazoo
Reviewed May 20, 2010

Upon my arrival to Ramada Plaza I was pleased before I even entered the hotel.
I came to Grand Rapids on business and I felt the location was great with lots of shopping and restaurants to choose from. Upon entering the building I was greeted very nicely by the hotel staff. They asked me what brought me to Grand Rapids and was very eager in letting me know about the Business Center that was offered with free wireless Internet through out the hotel. When I reached my room I was even more pleased to see how nice the room was. Nice comfortable bed and very clean. After a good nights rest I went to the hotel lobby to have breakfast and to my surprise I was able to order a homemade omelet which was a nice way to start off my morning. Before leaving the hotel, I did use the business center which was very traveler friendly. During check out the staff again were friendly and welcomed me back to the hotel which I defiantly will.
Thanks Ramada for such a nice stay

Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed May 18, 2010

This hotel is in a great location next to the Woodland Mall, numerous restaraunts, a movie theatre etc. The bed was very comfortable...from traveling 3-4 days a week, this bed rates higher than most. The pillows could be a little higher quality... but I wont ding them on that by itself.

They offer a very inexpensive contenental/ hot breakfast. The omelet was great. The days we stayed there they offered a managers special for guests which was really impressed me the most... free alcohol and bbq ribs, baked beens and potatoe salad. For a budget traveler, which I am, this hotel was great. The ping pong and pool tables were great to enjoy as well!

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Every other week I travel to Grand Rapids for business and stay at the Ramada. The staff is thoughtful, friendly and welcoming. The rooms are clean and comfortable and it's a great place to bring the kids on the weekend. I would highly recommend the Ramada if you are ever in Grand Rapids.

morley, mi
Reviewed May 10, 2010

The Hotel experience was Great. The Front Desk staff was warm and friendly and very helpful. Our rooms were very nice. We came on a Saturday and it was quite loud but we expected that due to having a pool with a giant water slide. What we didn't expect was having a creepy lifeguard. The male lifeguard was always staring at the bottom of the pool, like he was looking for something. Always staring at you with the "Deer in the headlight look" on his face. Never smiled. Then a young child came down the slide and she was struggling and instead of assisting the child he just stood there with his hand out trying to coax the child to him, a man in the pool ended up coming to the childs aid. That was very disturbing to me. What if the child really I went to the front desk to address the issue, and someone came and spoke with him but he still acted the same after being spoke with. Our over all experience was great but if we come again we will make sure we keep a close eye on any child with us as there as some of there pool staff should not be in this business.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Thailand
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I stayed here for only one night and that was enough for me.
I visited GR quite often and normally I book a hotel using 3rd company website.
Most of the time hotels around this area [28th st near airport] are new and nice!
However, Ramada is not one of them.
From the outside, hotel looks good but inside the building ,,,, old, dark and dirty.
I got a room on a second floor. Bathtub was dirty well even shower curtain was dirty with stain. Blanket had stain on it not even sure whatever that was.
No complimentary breakfast but they do offer manager's special in the evening which is beer/pop and some foods.
Free wifi but it is definitely NOT a high speed internet.
Location is perfect. It's right next to the mall and many restaurants. And this is one of a few pros.

I used to stay at Sleep Inn and I think it's better than here.

Traverse City, Michigan
Reviewed April 26, 2010

For the $ that we paid we could've stayed at a much nicer hotel! The rooms were very musty and smelled of chlorine the entire time. The comforters had holes in them ~ the beds were VERY uncomfortable with "paper"sheets!! I felt like I didn't want to touch anything! There was even hair on the back of the bathroom door! The kids had bunk beds ~ didn't seem like the top bunk sheets had been changed! Pool area was not very clean, including the pool itself! Just think, you can get all this and only pay $130.00!! What a deal :(

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
SuitCamper, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this review, April 29, 2010
Dear Blessed Beyond Measure,
Thank you for your recent stay and your comments on Trip Advisor. I believe you stayed in a Pool side room. Many of our guests with families enjoy being close to the pool. There is so much to do in our pool area, that being close, just makes it easier with little ones. However, the majority of our rooms are not pool side. There is no excuse for housekeeping issues and are addressed right away. We replace linens regularly and are currently replacing our sheets with a 250 thread count product.
Thank you again for your comments.
Larry Chesner