“Above and Beyond!”

Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids
Ranked #40 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed January 21, 2010

We used this facility for a Training Meeting. I was planning the meeting from Indiana.
The Sales team was fabulous in getting the arrangements made. We had a mix up on the date of our event and they easily made the necessary changes and our meeting was on as scheduled.

Above and Beyond is exactly what these people can do for you!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled on business
SuitCamper, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2010

Dear CFetrow,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. Our staff members pride themselves on their service and flexibility. I have forwarded your comments to our sales and catering staff.

Thank you for staying at the Ramada Plaza and again for your feedback.

Larry Chesner

There are newer reviews for Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids

Reviewed December 10, 2009

Location was great, right next to the malls and every store you would really need. There was also a restaurant right next door that delivered room service, which I took advantage of after a short power holiday shopping trip. Very nice staff. Rooms were fine, no fridge, but had a coffee pot. They seemed a little old, but not too rundown. I did not use the pool area, but it seemed like it would be good for kids. It was pretty reasonable for the location, I would bring the family back down and visit :)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business

Dear Genie4u76,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I agree......Our location is excellent for Leisure or Business Travelers. Old Chicago Restaurant is attached to the hotel and also offers room service for lunch and dinner. We also have Starbucks, Jimmy Johns and Sports Clips in our shared parking lot.
Thanks again for the feedback on Trip Advisor.

Larry Chesner

Reviewed November 25, 2009

I stayed at the Ramada Plaza with my husband and two daughters (aged 2 1/2 and 1 year at the time). We went to Grand Rapids to visit the John Ball Zoo for a small vacation. We chose the Ramada Plaza because of the price and the "water park". Now I am not sure if it says waterpark on their website, or if I assumed it was more of a waterpark. Either is possible. Nonetheless, it is a pool with a waterslide. My girls enjoyed it because they did not have any other expectations. The pool was nice in that it had a very shallow area as well for small children, and we never left that area, except to take my oldest daughter down the waterslide (about 50 times).
Our room was okay. We booked a two room suite. Everything was very old and outdated, seemed pretty clean. The windows made me very nervous. The supplied a crib when we asked for it, but it was also very old and I should have brought a pack and play, so that is my fault.
The high speed internet is free, we had some difficulty getting connected, but eventually the staff was able to help us get online.
The hotel is attached to Chicago Pizza, which was nice when traveling with the kids, but it is pretty close to being a bar, so it was a little too smoky for my liking when having my children with me.
We had a nice trip, but I don't think we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family

Dear JoJo-PunkyC
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor.
Our Castaway Bay is very unique to Grand Rapids. We have a water slide that is over 3 stories high and 180 feet long. The low depth pool is a big hit for the little ones. Besides the game room , ping pong, air hockey and billards, we play WII Games with the older kids on the weekends. If you compare our hotel to other waterpark hotels, you will find our rates to be lower and we allow our guests to bring in their own food and beverages for even more savings.
Thank you again for your feedabck on Trip Advisor and for staying at the Ramada Plaza.

Reviewed November 25, 2009

DON'T stay at this hotel. Hotel had no shampoo in the room. When I called the front desk they said they'd call housekeeping. 1 hour later I walked to the front desk. They then said, oh, sorry, there is none in the hotel, they didn't receive the shipment. (A phone call might have been nice, or maybe some attempt by this hotel to actually go get some, might have been nice). The staff was COMPLETELY ambivalent, and has no customer service skill whatsoever. This was not the only negative. We had a room by the pool area, and the TV's in the pool area blasted at crazy hours (2:30AM). The room was not great either. Mirror was off the wall and just placed up against the wall. Not so nice for a 4 and 6 year old in the room.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 5, 2009

Bathroom with mildewed grout, grimy tub bottom and floors made us check out after just one night. Tough to find staff. No one in breakfast area the morning we left. Very disappointing. Definitely don't recommend!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
SuitCamper, General Manager at Ramada Plaza Grand Rapids, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2009

Dear Lightning Mom,
Thank you for your comments. There is no excuse for a dirty room! Our housekeeping staff has a great inspection and preventative maintenance program, which I am proud of the work they do. Sadly in your case, it sounds like this was not the case. Since seeing your review, we have performed a sweep of every bathroom just to double check for problems. I am glad to say that we had very few issues. However, I am truely sorry for your experience and would do what ever I could to ensure your satisfaction. Thanks again for using Trip Advisor.

Reviewed November 1, 2009

The hotel & rooms were very nicely decorated, and everything was spotless. We didn't use the pool/water slide area at all, as the times we would have been able to, it was filled with children of course; but we did take a look at it, and if you are traveling with children, it would definitely keep them entertained!

The location is excellent, as we only had to travel a few minutes to find dinner both nights we stayed.

I guess I was just a bit disappointed that for the price we paid, we got no extra amentities. You had to pay for the breakfast downstairs, and there wasn't even any donuts or anything of the sort for the guests.

Again, it was a lovely hotel, but I personally wouldn't stay there again. It's too pricey for the little that is included.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Star686

Dear Star686,
Thank you for your comments in regards to our facilities. I am glad the accommodations met or exceeded your expectations.
Most of the full service Hotels in our area charge extra for breakfast. However, we offer a rate with breakfast or without. Our "Family Meal Deal" includes Breakfast for 2 adults and 2 kids for only $10 extra. Also this plan allows kids to eat free off the kids menu at Old Chicago Restaurant with two paying adults. It's a fantastic value for families and the food is excellent.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed October 26, 2009

7 yr old boy b-day party package w/one night stay. We were upgraded to poolside at same rate (Thanks Lindsey). This was one of the best ever family times. the staff was awesome, Lindsey was very patient and prompt with all of my lengthy emails :) Rooms were clean,quite, Old Chicago restaurant is connected to the hotel kids walked over in their pjs for food.very warm/comfortable stay. The pool was fantastic great party idea. 16kids all had a great time, Thanks Ramada for having flexible packages that fits anyones budget, you also don't have to checkout at regular checkout times you checkout when the party is over. The only thing I didn't like was no free breakfast, and no extra changing rooms for the party guests. other than that my husbands keeps saying we gotta do this again,And we will:) Thanks again Ramada
Cooley Family
Grand Rapids, MI

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family

Dear Dlight9281265,
Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor. I was glad to read your comments in regards to our Sunday Birthday Party Package. It is becoming a very popular birthday partu option among our local neighbors. Lindsey does a great job with this and I will surely pass your comments on to her. Thanks again for your feedback.