“Poor Service, Great Everything Else”
Review of HopCat

HopCat
Ranked #12 of 991 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American, British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: 49 Drafts, 250+ bottles -- all craft beer, plus food you mom would make if she loved craft beer.
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I've been here a handful of times, and am always pleased with the drink selection, food, and general atmosphere.

The times I've visited and been able to sit at the bar, he bar tenders are great. It's when I've sat at a table that I've run into problems. The wait staff are generally friendly and well versed in the menu, but there's about a 50% chance of them being fairly absent.

Beyond that, I really enjoy my visits. They have a great selection of beer and one of the best ranges of hard cider that I've found in GR. The food is always tasty (try the crack fries!) and I always walk away happy

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The beer selection was indeed vast and impressive, however, the beer menu had been printed a few days before and many, many of the selections were not available. This wouldn't have been such a problem, except that when we visited they were absolutely slammed and our waitress stopped by no more than once every 15 minutes. It went like this for our entire group of 7...pick a beer, it's not available, waitress leaves and returns in 15 minutes. Pick another, it's not available, waitress leaves for 15 minutes...well, you get the idea. If they actually had a relatively accurate menu, it'd be WAY easier.

No one at our table was overly impressed with their meal--average bar food at inflated prices, except, happily, me! who ordered the Grand Royale (sans jalepenos) which was the most heart attack inducing but yummiest sloppy joe ever. The crack fries...maybe refer to a part of your anatomy? But in all seriousness, they were just...fries. They were fine, even good....but nowhere near the level of being called 'crack fries.'

So, given that every other reviewer is totally in love with this place, perhaps it IS too much to ask for a micobrewery/brewpub that has good beer AND inspired food? I'm just not seeing it here.

Would I return? Sure. Would I return HUNGRY....no.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

Just an outstanding bar to stop in and grab a beer and food at. Huge selection of beers on tap and bottles. The food was pretty good as well. The staff was friendly. Busy place though so be prepared to wait for a table or hang out at the bar.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

A very fun brewpub! Go, If you like beer and good burgers, sandwiches, etc We sat at the bar and had great service and advice choosing from the huge beer list. My burger was excellent. My friend said that his wings were about the best he's ever had.

Reviewed November 16, 2012

One of the most extensive beer menus I've seen in a long time. I ordered the cheese and ale soup as well as a burger and both were great. I can't say enough about the delicious soup with pieces of soft pretzel!