All reviews city flats boutique hotel cork floors like sleeping on a cloud small window within walking distance art museum great happy hour heart of downtown comfortable sleep modern feel parking structure van andel arena rooms are modern staying downtown bars and restaurants bottled water
Selected filters
Reviewed March 17, 2019 via mobile

My husband and I chose this hotel for its proximity to Van Andel arena and other great sites in the area. Because of this, the price is on the higher side, however, the charm of this place and its location make it worthwhile. We got upgraded and were put into a suite due to a booking error. We were pleasantly surprised. The cork floors are a nice touch on the feet. I’m not sure I’ve ever had a more comfortable sleep; the mattress was divine. Other reviewers were complaining about not being able to turn on or off their lights except for one major switch, but that is the master switch and all you have to do is make sure that is on or off before using the others and there won’t be a problem.
The CitySen restobar downstairs is a great place to dine, have a drink, or socialize before an event. Special thanks to Jordan (Jordy?) whose helpfulness added to our experience.
Note: there is no on-site parking, but there’s a parking garage attached to the hotel at approximately $25 a night.

Date of stay: March 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2019 via mobile

My sister and I stayed here when a friend was getting married in the event space. We loved it! The rooms are great - clean, unique, good view, and big. It does seem all of the rooms are different so definitely ask questions before booking to make sure you get what is best for you. They have the most comfortable hotel bed I’ve ever slept on. The staff was super nice and helpful. Close to everything. Definitely recommend for a stay downtown Grand Rapids!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Kelsie K
CityFlatsHotels, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 5, 2019

Thank you so much for the kind review! We take great pride in every room being unique and comfortable! We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, we can't wait to see you next time.

Reviewed January 6, 2019 via mobile

Taking a chance. It’s a hipster downtown boutique hotel. Does not include or discount parking in the ramp attached. $20 per night through ticket. Room is sleek. Nice environmental touches. Our room phone didn’t work to call about the tv not working but we survived. There is an actual door on the toilet. That’s good. We are older but the platform bed had a mattress that was so soft and beat up it was like sleeping on a board covered with a down comforter. We need some support. If your over 40 years old, it’s not kind to your back. The overnight clerk was a little testy when I called upon return at 11:45 pm to ask the checkout time. It was not posted in the room or in the room portfolio. They need to be careful about good cleaning and maintenance vs. industrial look. Good luck!

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
CityFlatsHotels, General Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2019

We are pleased you enjoyed the design of our environmentally friendly room. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of the phone and TV, we have looked into this issue to make sure this doesn’t happen to future guests. We are sorry to hear our mattresses were not to your liking, they are exclusively designed in accordance to our LEED Gold Certification to help keep our rooms hypoallergenic. We truly appreciate your feedback, as we know there is always room to grow and improve our business.

Reviewed December 28, 2018 via mobile

We had rented 4 rooms for the weekend and each one was different. Modern and sleek with an industrial feel. I liked how they remodeled what seemed to be an old building. They have a reception room that is gorgeous with all the marble and old wood. It was converted from an old bank. Stunning. The cafe serves really good food. The staff is friendly, talkative and caring. I couldn’t have asked for a better time.

Date of stay: December 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family

Thank you for the perfect rating! We are so glad that you enjoyed your rooms, food and the ballroom. Our staff works very hard to ensure our guests are completely satisfied! We take great pride in our uniquely designed rooms and the history of the building. We are happy you did too. We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed December 18, 2018 via mobile

Stayed one night during Art Prize 2018 (I live in Kalamazoo but wanted more time to explore installations). The location could not have been better. Steps away from lots of dining options, the art museum, DeVos complex. It made parking and walking just about everywhere easy. A month before my stay I asked for an upgrade and received a queen city view. Since its a small hotel it meant I got a view of a building and the sky instead of the alley. Room was.. Okay. Not spectacular but clean and everything laid out simply. The bed though was the star. It was like sleeping on a cloud. Getting out of bed to leave was a real challenge.

Check in and check out process was fairly quick and pleasant. Staff was friendly. When I had a concern about parking (there is none on site so it's take your chances on the street or in the parking ramps around) they said overnight wouldn't be a issue and I didn't need go worry about my car being towed. (I lived in Grand Rapids years before. So this was a potential problem..some lots and ramps are sneaky about time limits and not being clear)

For it being right downtown I didn't consider the price point that outrageous.

Overall i'd consider staying again.

Date of stay: September 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo

We are so glad you enjoyed your time with us and the location of CityFlatsHotel! We are happy that you enjoyed exploring the beautiful and vibrant downtown Grand Rapids, especially during ArtPrize. Also, thank you for the kind words regarding our beds. We hope that you will consider us for your next stay in downtown Grand Rapids, MI!