“Not really average”
Review of CityFlatsHotel

Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 31, 2012

An unusual boutique hotel. You will notice the designers touch everywhere but some times they go too far in form vs. function. The place is very attractive. They satisfy rule #1... the rooms are immaculate. However, here are some issues:

1. Shower fixtures are not for the technology challenged. Very slick and modern but they took me 15 minutes of fussing to get the water to flow fom the tub spout to the shower head. Could I have called the front desk? Sure. But should I real need to get training to operate the shower? Not really and I am tech savvy.
2. I guess the trend is away from carpets. Not bad in a home. In a hotel it means there is nothing to muffle the noise of people walking in the halls, opening or closing doors and walking on the floor above you... not to mention street noise. Bottom line, it's noisy.
3. Beautiful, crisp and clean bedding. How about providing a regulation length bed? I am not particularly tall but if I stretched my legs out, my toes would be hanging in space! My business partner was in a similar room. He is 6'4. He had to sleep in a fetal position. Would it really have screwed up the aesthetics of the room to have a standard length bed?

Overall, the room is cool but the decor is definetly not warm and inviting. Call me crusty but I prefer a lot less innovation in my sleeping quarters when traveling on business. It impedes the purpose... A place to sleep.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank mitchm11741
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Dear mitchm11741,

Thank you for staying with us at CityFlats while away on business! We appreciate your honest feedback as it helps us to improve the quality of our hotel and service. If you choose to stay with us again, make sure to request a room with a King size bed for extra space and comfort!

If you have any other suggestions, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

Thank you!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at City Flats because we wanted to try something different than a chain hotel and it definitely delivered. The room was unique and very clean. The lobby and bar were nice as well. The location was amazing! We were able to walk to a ton of bars and restaurants during our stay. Despite being a busy hotel with a bar, it was still very quiet at night. I am very picky about this and usually have a very hard time sleeping at hotels. The only downside was our view. We were not facing towards the street and our room had one small window overlooking the rooftop and an alley. That was pretty disappointing, but overall, we can't complain about our stay! We were traveling without our small children, but I would NOT recommend this hotel for families with young children because of the open room and bathroom.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2012

Dear Cate F,

We are so happy that you had an enjoyable stay here at CityFlatsHotel. It is true that we are in a great location if you plan on enjoying the restaurants and other night life activities in the area. If your travels ever bring you back to Grand Rapids we hope that you choose to stay with us again!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

Front desk staff are very friendly and helpful.

Parking lot is conveniently located.

Our room was absolutely awesome! Very clean, great street view (we requested this after reading other reviews), soft towels, and the MOST COMFORTABLE BED EVER.

Though I didn't hear any of the plumbing noise other people have complained about, we did have a VERY heavy footed person in the room above ours, though it still wasn't anything that really disturbed us.

Continental breakfast could have been better for the price we were charged. I can't complain since whenever I read "continental breakfast" I go in with low expectations. Processed pastries, yogurt and fruit. The coffee was good though, so I was happy.

Room Tip: Request a room with street view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear Veronica G,

Thank you so much for your review! We appreciate your honest feedback. We hope that you enjoyed your visit to Grand Rapids. Please consider CityFlatsHotel on your next trip to the west side of the state!

Reviewed July 28, 2012

This was my second stay in a CityFlats Hotel (the first stay was in Holland, MI). This Grand Rapids hotel has a very urban, hip feel (more hip than I feel, but I did fine).

Check in was very personable. My only "cringe" was how loudly the music was playing in the lobby. It's probably very atmospheric if you're hanging out at the bar (which is right near the check in desk), but it seemed too loud every time we entered or left the building. Luckily, that's in high contrast to the tranquility of the rooms. Each room is different, but each has so much urban/zen ambiance. Both of my CityFlats visits have been with my friend, and we've loved exploring all the room features. We get two beds and appreciate how each feels like it has its own space while still being open to the other. Our room this time had a window that faced another building, but it was surprising that it didn't both us. It still allowed a lot of privacy and added to the character of the room. The beds are WONDERFUL! The bathroom fixtures are very cool. We were both eager to have our turns in the shower (if we were hip, we would have been down at the bar). Breakfast was light but a good start.

The location in Grand Rapids is great. The GRAM (art museum) is within a block's walk. We were there on a Wednesday in July and got to enjoy the free Blues Festival (weekly?) just a block from the hotel. The river walk is only a few blocks' walk. If you're parking overnight, it's a better deal to use the lot recommended by the hotel as the $14 Daily Max posted at most lots isn't for 24 hours, but starts over early each day (our $16 hotel rate would have cost us $23 for less than 24 hours).

Room Tip: If you get a mirror with white square lighting around it, be sure to notice the alien affect it give...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Terry9
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. I love the philosophy and the eco-friendly attempts that they've made in their design. However, our room was really small & cramped, oddly designed so it was hard to move around (especially since I had a wedding dress to deal with).

All of that I could've dealt with because it was nice enough, and we'd wanted something different from the Marriott & Amway Grand that we've stayed at before.

But it was LOUD. We had loud neighbors that we could here through the walls at 11pm & then when they came back at 2:30am (I did call the desk that time & it seemed to help). Everytime someone on a floor above us flushed a toilet, it sounded like ice cubes were being poured down the walls. It actually startled me awake at night. I put ear plugs in, but could still hear it, although not quite as harshly. We missed breakfast because I was finally able to sleep in the am & it only went until 8:30. Thankfully they gave me some leftover fruit when I asked.

We needed ice & had to take the bucket down to the bar, which was a little weird. There was zero information in the room as far as maps, amenities, restaurants, room service, etc. That was frustrating to me even in a familiar city (but new hotel). I like looking at the welcome packets to get my bearings.

I think most frustrating was that I mentioned this (the noise mostly) to two different front desk associates & other than a quick apology, they made no effort to remedy the situation or offer financial apology. Instead they just told me to email the next time we came & they'd get us a quieter room...something I'd asked for when I made my reservation.

While I want to like this place, I'm not sure I'll be back. It shouldn't take a special email to get a room that doesn't have loud jarring noises built right into it.

Room Tip: They told me to ask for a room with an outside view next time, which would cut down on the noise.
2  Thank Zebe912

Dear ZeBe912,

Thank you for your honest review as your feedback helps us to improve for our future guests.

I would like to sincerely apologize that you did not have a better experience here at CityFlatsHotel. If you would like to discuss the situation further, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

We hope that you give us another chance. You might also want to check out our other location in downtown Holland, Michigan. Being a larger property, the rooms are more spacious. Also, since it's not located in such an urban/downtown city-life environment, you might find it more quaint and peaceful. :)

Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Modern. Best bed I've ever experienced. Nice staff. Great little bar with super food.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I found my overall expierence to be good here. The bed was very comfortable. The style and decorations of the room were great. The room was very small. Our small window view was of a brick wall. The continental breakfast was coffee and mini muffins. I felt like I didn't get my money worth.

2  Thank jcs1974