An unusual boutique hotel. You will notice the designers touch everywhere but some times they go too far in form vs. function. The place is very attractive. They satisfy rule #1... the rooms are immaculate. However, here are some issues:
1. Shower fixtures are not for the technology challenged. Very slick and modern but they took me 15 minutes of fussing to get the water to flow fom the tub spout to the shower head. Could I have called the front desk? Sure. But should I real need to get training to operate the shower? Not really and I am tech savvy.
2. I guess the trend is away from carpets. Not bad in a home. In a hotel it means there is nothing to muffle the noise of people walking in the halls, opening or closing doors and walking on the floor above you... not to mention street noise. Bottom line, it's noisy.
3. Beautiful, crisp and clean bedding. How about providing a regulation length bed? I am not particularly tall but if I stretched my legs out, my toes would be hanging in space! My business partner was in a similar room. He is 6'4. He had to sleep in a fetal position. Would it really have screwed up the aesthetics of the room to have a standard length bed?
Overall, the room is cool but the decor is definetly not warm and inviting. Call me crusty but I prefer a lot less innovation in my sleeping quarters when traveling on business. It impedes the purpose... A place to sleep.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- CityFlatsHotel - Grand Rapids is located in the heart of downtown Grand Rapids, MI. Built in 1874 this renovated building was once the famous Fox's Jewelry and is now Grand Rapids only LEED Gold certified hotel. Built entirely from local materials and renewable resources, our hotel prides itself on being the first eco-friendly hotel in the Midwest. With just 48 rooms, we offer an intimate stay for all our guests. Cork floors in every room, exposed brick, free wireless Internet, spacious walk-in showers, and notoriously comfy beds are just a part of the CityFlatsHotel experience. We accommodate all guests, whether you're looking to book a room, host a corporate event, or hold a wedding reception. On the first floor you will find CitySēn Lounge serving lunch, dinner, weekend breakfast, and offering Happy Hour specials daily from 4PM-7PM. You will also find CityBrü Coffee, located in our lobby, open 24 hours. Please stop by and see what we have to offer! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your CityFlatsHotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.