CityFlatsHotel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$102
$81
$249
$201
  • Pool
Comfort Inn Airport(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$90
ComfortInn
Best Western Hospitality Hotel & Suites(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$125
Hotels.com
Sleep Inn & Suites(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$65
SleepInn
$136
JW Marriott Grand Rapids(Grand Rapids)
$279
JW Marriott
  • Pool
Comfort Suites South(Grand Rapids)(Great Value!)
$94
$219
$214
  • Pool
All reviewscity flatsboutique hotelvessel sinklike sleeping on a cloudbrick wallgreat happy hourthree blockswithin walking distancefacing the streetart museumheart of downtowncomfortable sleepfriendly hotelrooms are modernvan andel arenasmall roombars and restaurants
FilterAll languages
Reviewed July 19, 2012

I really wanted to like this place. I love the philosophy and the eco-friendly attempts that they've made in their design. However, our room was really small & cramped, oddly designed so it was hard to move around (especially since I had a wedding dress to deal with).

All of that I could've dealt with because it was nice enough, and we'd wanted something different from the Marriott & Amway Grand that we've stayed at before.

But it was LOUD. We had loud neighbors that we could here through the walls at 11pm & then when they came back at 2:30am (I did call the desk that time & it seemed to help). Everytime someone on a floor above us flushed a toilet, it sounded like ice cubes were being poured down the walls. It actually startled me awake at night. I put ear plugs in, but could still hear it, although not quite as harshly. We missed breakfast because I was finally able to sleep in the am & it only went until 8:30. Thankfully they gave me some leftover fruit when I asked.

We needed ice & had to take the bucket down to the bar, which was a little weird. There was zero information in the room as far as maps, amenities, restaurants, room service, etc. That was frustrating to me even in a familiar city (but new hotel). I like looking at the welcome packets to get my bearings.

I think most frustrating was that I mentioned this (the noise mostly) to two different front desk associates & other than a quick apology, they made no effort to remedy the situation or offer financial apology. Instead they just told me to email the next time we came & they'd get us a quieter room...something I'd asked for when I made my reservation.

While I want to like this place, I'm not sure I'll be back. It shouldn't take a special email to get a room that doesn't have loud jarring noises built right into it.

Room Tip: They told me to ask for a room with an outside view next time, which would cut down on the noise.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zebe912
Katie M, Public Relations Manager at CityFlatsHotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2012

Dear ZeBe912,

Thank you for your honest review as your feedback helps us to improve for our future guests.

I would like to sincerely apologize that you did not have a better experience here at CityFlatsHotel. If you would like to discuss the situation further, please feel free to contact me directly at 616-796-2105.

We hope that you give us another chance. You might also want to check out our other location in downtown Holland, Michigan. Being a larger property, the rooms are more spacious. Also, since it's not located in such an urban/downtown city-life environment, you might find it more quaint and peaceful. :)

Katie Madonio
CityFlatsHotel

Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Modern. Best bed I've ever experienced. Nice staff. Great little bar with super food.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed July 15, 2012

I found my overall expierence to be good here. The bed was very comfortable. The style and decorations of the room were great. The room was very small. Our small window view was of a brick wall. The continental breakfast was coffee and mini muffins. I felt like I didn't get my money worth.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jcs1974
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I travel quite a lot and this hotel is one of my favorites!

It is expertly designed and appointed, the rooms are clean, modern and the staff at the hotel is so helpful and kind! I was there almost a week and had a perfect stay!

It also has one of the most comfortable beds I have ever slept in.

It is so superior to all the other hotels in the city!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 2, 2012

If you're after a great view of the city from your window, this isn't your hotel. We walked in the ultra modern room, no carpeting, bamboo? tiles on the floor, and were immediately struck by the brick wall outside the window. It was some kind of shaft. Almost would have been better if they'd put no window in at all. And by the way, looking at the layout of the hotel, there appears to be rooms that do not have any window at all.
Nonetheless, the room was very comfortable. I agree that I could have slept for 24 hours. Very soft sheets and blanket. Four fluffy pillows on the bed, room darkening shade, not hard to love this.
Then we decided to have a drink on the outdoor patio and were pleasantly surprised by the creative drink selection. The "Fresh" cocktail was one of the best mixed drinks I've ever had, so we took a look at the menu. Their 2 for $25 appetizer, entree and dessert special was excellent. Again, the food was the best we had all weekend and we ate at Ruth Cris Steakhouse in the Amway. City Sen inside the hotel beat RC. Small plate concept, but seriously good, and as creative as the drinks.
But for the view and the satellite TV cutting in and out, I highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you want a window room, you might want to actually call the hotel for reservations
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple