“Wine Stellar- Food Notsomuch”

Reserve Wine & Food
Reserve with OpenTable
Reserve Wine & Food is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #57 of 984 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Monroe & Lyon
Description: Reserve is proud to present Grand Rapids with our homage to Wine, Pork, Cheese and even more wine! Reserve has developed a network of purveyors to supply hand-selected, seasonal produce, pork, Michigan raised lamb, beef and fish to anchor a locally driven rustic yet refined menu of simple, eclectic fare. Our goal at Reserve is to source the best possible product as close to home as possible. Our Charcuterie bar will serve up local and international cheeses and meats along with Reserve exclusives, house made sausages, terrines, and pates. The extensive international wine list was developed by certified sommelier, Peter Marantette. The list features 102 wines by the glass and a bottle list of nearly 300 selections. Artisan cocktails and a focused craft beer list round out a unique dining experience here at Reserve.
Reviewed August 23, 2014

We ate here for GR Restaurant week the 3rd week of August 2014. The theme this year was "Farm to Table'. There were plenty of options to choose from. We had the French White Wine flight- very tasty. We started with the cheese plate which was very good- 3 varieties of cheese with baguette bread and 3 toppings (Cherry Chutney, Honey/Pistacho, 15 Blueberries)- the blueberries were frozen/thawed- TOTALLY unacceptable during the height of blueberry season in SW Michigan. Appetizers good- Beet/Cuke soup and Tomato/Egg on grilled sourdough. Main course of grilled cheese gnocchi with cherry tomato/basil- taste was nothing special. Dessert was a disaster- Fresh baked cookies (we waited for them 'to get out of the oven') were charred/dry; the ice cream we chose was described as mint chocolate chip and turned out to be BASIL choc chip- not a good taste combo. We discussed the dessert with our waitstaff and she 'took it off the bill.' Overall not the stellar dining experience I've come to expect from my 6 previous dinners at Reserve. I'll go back for the wine tasting/flights, but not for the food.

Reviewed August 23, 2014

I have been here at least 9x over the last 2 years, for lunches and dinners. It is a great spot for many purposes - interviews, girls' dinner, date night, meeting friends, happy hour, etc. I have always had a good meal here, and last night prompted me to finally write a review. It was Restaurant Week, but we skipped that menu and ordered other courses. The cheese (19 choices) and charcuterie (17 choices) selection is very good. We had the Riesling-poached potted foie (among others), and it was a little liquidy but very tasty. My favorites for charcuterie are the pate maison and the chorizo. They always bring toasted baguette and honey, compotes, mustards, etc. for the cheese/charcuterie choices. Don't fill up on the bread, although it is very easy to do because it is hearty and good here (not sure if they make it on-site, but wouldn't surprise me). Our party also had the roasted beets w/blue cheese & blueberries (yummy) and the roasted broccoli (good flavor but you could barely taste the preserved lemon). I really enjoyed my main course, the crispy chicken thigh. Many places really don't get the chicken thigh right. It was really crispy and well seasoned on the outside, but thankfully not overcooked on the inside. So good with the rainbow chard - a green I forget about when cooking but always like it when I eat it in a restaurant. I have had the pork belly hash before...a reliable go-to at this restaurant, although last night it was a little on the salty side.
For dessert, we had a delicious slice of moist, dense chocolate cake with a French press coffee. A perfect ending to the meal!
Some notes on the wine.... they do wine by the glass very, very well. The organization on the menu makes it easy for those who don't know a lot about wine. However, if you do, there are many great choices. I had a Guade al Tasso rose before dinner, and then switched to a Sangiovese from Montepulciano. What I love about this place is you can get a taste, a glass, or a bottle. Over my visits I tend to think that the taste pours are generous, so it is a good value to try something with a taste before committing to a glass. I have also tried the wine flights, which are thoughtfully put together and have playful names. "Call me a Cab" features 3 deep, Napa-Valley cabs.
Overall, I really like this place and it is a great go-to restaurant for many reasons. Count on a satisfying meal with great service and interesting choices.
Almost forgot to mention the awesome Artprize painting above the bar. Very impressive. Yes, it's a painting and not a photograph. "Open Water No. 24" by artist Ran Ortner won $250K as the winning Artprize submission in 2009.

1  Thank lets_bolt
Reviewed August 22, 2014

Reserve always seems to be busy so make a reservation! Great food, however and lots of wine on tap and interesting cocktails to choose from. I had the "lettuce salad" which is simple with brown butter croutons, - delicious. Also had the chicken and dumlings. Very good. W sat at the bar. Bartender was very personable and polite. He knows his stuff. Service was pretty slow, I'm sure becasue they were very busy, but i suspect they also forgot about our main course. But...i was fine with it. Definitely will go back.

Reviewed August 14, 2014

The menu was very interesting and everything we tried was absolutely delicious. Wonderful flavors and blends of flavors. the Vanilla bacon (yes, vanilla bacon) was to die for! Will never look at bacon the same way again. Waitress Danielle never steered us wrong and was very friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommend this if you are adventurous. They apparently use only local foods that are in season also. Yummy!!!!

1  Thank Sara P
Reserve_GrandRapids, Public Relations Manager at Reserve Wine & Food, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2014

Thank you for dining with us at Reserve! We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your dining experience with us. The Vanilla Bacon is one of our most popular items, it is especially delicious on our burger and sandwiches on the lunch menu. We will also pass along the compliment to Danielle, she is a great asset to our team. Thank you again, we hope to see you soon!

Reviewed August 3, 2014

The menu is interesting. Some unique pairings of ingredients. The menu has S, M , L along the side which correspond to small portion, medium and large. I had a salad under small which was tasty and a good size. Someone had cucumber gazpacho and found the flavor interesting and good. I ordered lake Michigan white fish which came on a bed of mash potatoes. It was accompanied by terrific glazed carrots. It was delicious and was totally ample. It was under medium and priced at $15. The restaurant has an extensive wine list both by the bottle and glass. They several wine samplers and you could also make your own. We sat outside to dine which was great except that there was a loose manhole cover which seranaded us thoughout dinner. The church clock chimes every 15 minutes and there are numerous horse and buggy rides coming and going. The decor inside is pretty modern minimalist white. The serving team was helpful and friendly

Reserve_GrandRapids, Public Relations Manager at Reserve Wine & Food, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thank you for joining us for dinner at Reserve! We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the food, and your experience. We do also have seating outside on our upstairs patio. It is in a nook on the second floor, which helps block out some of the street noise. We are glad to hear that your server provided helpful assistance, and was friendly. At Reserve, we strive to provide excellent service, so that our guests have a memorable dining experience, and enjoy their time with us. Hopefully we will see you again soon, thank you!