“Nothing Special”

Cinco de Mayo
Ranked #145 of 966 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Description: http://www.mlive.com/entertainment/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2010/02/post_10.html
Reviewed June 4, 2013

3300 Alpine Ave. NW...relatively new...lots of seating...BIG menu....average run of the mill mexican food. Server was nice, polite, helpful...but she did not have much to work with. I wonder when one of the bigger restaurants will find a way to serve more authentic and tasty food. This is close to an Olive Garden, next time I will go there vs Cinco de Mayo.

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

Had the Chimichanga, one was beef, the other chicken. Simply delicious. Although it was a busy weekend evening, we were able to walk in and be immediately seated. Service was very fast and efficient. The plate we ordered was enough to feed the two of us! Price was very reasonable for the portion that was served to us! Very colorful decor made for a very festive environment. When the weather gets warmer, outdoor, sidewalk seating becomes available in a "cafe" type style.

1  Thank martenve
Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stopped in at the Alpine location during a break from shopping.There were very few diners and the place was very spacious. The greeting was sincere, and the basket of chips and salsa that came to the table immediately was fantastic and greatly appreciated. We loved the decor and the bar, which is directly in front of you when you walk in and looked like a fun place to drink margaritas and watch a game. After that, it all went downhill.

The menu looked pretty good but it took a while to get our drink order, as well as our dinner order. My partner got a cheese and onion enchilada and a meat and bean enchilada, which came with a side of refried beans. While he specified 'cheese and onion', the enchilada came with the onions on top, not inside with the cheese as indicated. But that can be forgiven.

I ordered a hard shell beef taco and a cheese/chicken enchilada which came with a side of rice. The hard shell taco and the tortilla used to make the enchilada was not cooked thoroughly and was moist and pasty---easily pulled apart with a fork. Raw. The sauce on the top was actually a marinara sauce with hints of oregano/basil and the chicken was very dry. The rice had frozen corn, peas and carrots in it.....I could not eat the food. The best things on the table were the chips, salsa and the refried beans.
Since our server left after taking our order, the greeter brought our food to us.

There are too many excellent Mexican restaurants to ever patronize this one at this location again. I go to a lot of restaurants and know exactly where to go to get quality Mexican food.......this is the only one on the north side of Grand Rapids (Alpine area, near Celebration Cinema) so they have a captive audience at this time. But if another one moves in the area, this Cinco de Mayo will be in serious trouble.

There is another location downtown Grand Rapids which I'm willing to try, based on the reviews already posted about that Cinco de Mayo. But the one on the north end----no thank you.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We hadn't been to this restaurant since it was a Perkins. Nicely decorated, large basket of chips and a very good sauce delivered as soon as we sat down. The menu is large, and it took a few minutes to decide. They not only have Mexican food, but "American" as well. Our dinners were delivered much faster than we expected.

1  Thank Jack B
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Enjoyed the colorful decor, the food was very good, service and margaretas were great. The place is bigger than it appears from the outside. However the seating was a bit cramped, I had to get out of my chair to let the person in the booth behind me out from his seat. However, I would still return, worth the effort.