All reviews free shuttle grand river river rock heavy snow shuttle driver room was clean great view of the river an older hotel shower head staff was very friendly and helpful choice hotels bit dated close to downtown stayed one night nice place to stay front desk staff convenient location
Selected filters
Reviewed May 28, 2019

We only stayed in Grand Rapids for one day. We were looking for a nice hotel at a great price. The Grand River hotel was our choice.

The location is ok. You are not in the downtown area, but it is only a 5-10 min drive.
The outside of the hotel needs to be redone. It looks old and worn out in my opinion. But when you step inside, my views on it changed. It was very nice modern and clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful.

Our room was clean. The bed was comfortable, and there was enough room for my fiance and I.

They offer a free shuttle to the downtown area, which we used. The driver was very helpful. He showed us around the area, and dropped us off anywhere we wanted to go. They also will pick you up for free before 10pm, so there is no need to buy an Uber.

I would recommend this place to anyone and will be staying here again in the future

Room tip: Use the Free shuttle bus to the downtown area
Date of stay: May 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2019

Hi ebarbz88,

Thank you so much for your heartwarming review and for choosing The Grand River Hotel. Our ultimate ambition is to provide a five-star experience, and we are thrilled to learn that we have succeeded. It is rewarding to hear that we have succeeded in making you feel at home and that you experienced no difficulties with our services or amenities. We are very happy to learn that your stay was so comfortable, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 24, 2019 via mobile

The Grand Hotel in Grand Rapids is a great place to stay. Very comfortable and stylish accommodations. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They provide shuttle service to many locations within the city! Great value for the money! Our family is going to stay there again!

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled with family
Tina M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2019

Dear trisha25teacher,

Thanks for the stay here at Grand River Hotel, near Van Andel Arena and your heartwarming review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay! It is so rewarding to hear that we were able to provide a comfortable and convenient experience. Thank you for your awesome compliment to our staff, shttly and our place. We hope to impress you again during your next visit and we thank you for sharing your experience.

Reviewed March 29, 2019

This was such a great hotel and experience for the price from the customer service when I checked in and the cleanliness of the room to the great food in the lounge/bar.
This Hotel knows the meaning of customer service which doesn’t seem to matter to many businesses anymore

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Nerissa M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2019

Dear Dcaz1266,

We are indeed grateful that you find our place excellent and comfortable here at The Grand River Hotel.It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you have rated our hospitality and accommodations so highly! Thank you so much for your compliments to our staff and to our food and we were able to meet your
expectations of cleanliness and service in our hotel. We can't begin to tell you how much we appreciate your review, and we can't wait to serve you again.

Reviewed March 29, 2019

The staff was wonderful and the lobby was nicely decorated. The room was a different story.

The bathroom needs a thorough cleaning. There was hair and trash on the floor, leading me to think the floor hadn't been swept in awhile. The lid and around the base of the toilet were dirty. The tub had a dirt ring in it. We didn’t have a shower curtain or a tray for the coffee maker. The maintenance guy that brought them up was very nice and apologized.

There was an annoyingly bright flash of light that lit up the room about every 30 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG. I’m guessing a previous guest thought it was coming from the smoke alarm, because there was what appeared to be a napkin or paper towel stuck to it....maybe to block the bright flashes of light that kept them awake, too.

I wouldn’t stay there again. If only the rooms were as great as the staff. If it weren't for the friendly staff, I would rate it poor instead of average.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Kim W

Dear Kim W,

Your review and rating are greatly appreciated and thank you for your kind compliment to our staff. Though it is very disappointing to learn of the bad impression we made during your recent stay due to the cleanliness and the condition of our amenities. I assure you that we have the highest standards of cleanliness and that your comments are very important to us and addressed immediately with our housekeeping staff. We are forever working to improve upon the guest experience during our renovation process and I hope you will remember our attributes for when you return during another trip to the area to see how we have improved to impress you even more once work is complete

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

I stayed here last night, in town for the Trump Rally. I found the staff to be very friendly - Alexsei at the front desk was my shuttle driver on the way to downtown, Sparkle on my way back were delightful. This is an older hotel, I actually stayed here 20+ years ago while in college but it has been updated and with the free shuttle service and lower costs, this is a great option for a stay in Wonderful Grand Rapids. Staff at the bar when I got back from the event were also super fun! I will be back! I didn’t make it into the event however. After 2.5 hours of standing in a line nearly a mile long, they shut the doors with 4 people in front of me!!! No regrets!♥️

Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear petersgal,

Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with our services and amenities of The Grand River Hotel. We are so glad to hear from you and to learn that we were able to give you a pleasant, comfortable and convenient experience while staying at our hotel near Van Andel Arena. Thank you for your awesome compliment to our staff and to our free shuttles. We are very happy to learn that your stay was so comfortable, and we hope to see you again soon!