All reviews free shuttle grand river river rock heavy snow shuttle driver room was clean great view of the river an older hotel shower head staff was very friendly and helpful choice hotels close to downtown bit dated stayed one night nice place to stay front desk staff convenient location
Selected filters
Reviewed March 29, 2019

This was such a great hotel and experience for the price from the customer service when I checked in and the cleanliness of the room to the great food in the lounge/bar.
This Hotel knows the meaning of customer service which doesn’t seem to matter to many businesses anymore

• Trip type: Traveled with family
Nerissa M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2019

Dear Dcaz1266,

We are indeed grateful that you find our place excellent and comfortable here at The Grand River Hotel.It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you have rated our hospitality and accommodations so highly! Thank you so much for your compliments to our staff and to our food and we were able to meet your
expectations of cleanliness and service in our hotel. We can't begin to tell you how much we appreciate your review, and we can't wait to serve you again.

Reviewed March 29, 2019

The staff was wonderful and the lobby was nicely decorated. The room was a different story.

The bathroom needs a thorough cleaning. There was hair and trash on the floor, leading me to think the floor hadn't been swept in awhile. The lid and around the base of the toilet were dirty. The tub had a dirt ring in it. We didn’t have a shower curtain or a tray for the coffee maker. The maintenance guy that brought them up was very nice and apologized.

There was an annoyingly bright flash of light that lit up the room about every 30 minutes ALL NIGHT LONG. I’m guessing a previous guest thought it was coming from the smoke alarm, because there was what appeared to be a napkin or paper towel stuck to it....maybe to block the bright flashes of light that kept them awake, too.

I wouldn’t stay there again. If only the rooms were as great as the staff. If it weren't for the friendly staff, I would rate it poor instead of average.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank Kim W

Dear Kim W,

Your review and rating are greatly appreciated and thank you for your kind compliment to our staff. Though it is very disappointing to learn of the bad impression we made during your recent stay due to the cleanliness and the condition of our amenities. I assure you that we have the highest standards of cleanliness and that your comments are very important to us and addressed immediately with our housekeeping staff. We are forever working to improve upon the guest experience during our renovation process and I hope you will remember our attributes for when you return during another trip to the area to see how we have improved to impress you even more once work is complete

Reviewed March 29, 2019 via mobile

I stayed here last night, in town for the Trump Rally. I found the staff to be very friendly - Alexsei at the front desk was my shuttle driver on the way to downtown, Sparkle on my way back were delightful. This is an older hotel, I actually stayed here 20+ years ago while in college but it has been updated and with the free shuttle service and lower costs, this is a great option for a stay in Wonderful Grand Rapids. Staff at the bar when I got back from the event were also super fun! I will be back! I didn’t make it into the event however. After 2.5 hours of standing in a line nearly a mile long, they shut the doors with 4 people in front of me!!! No regrets!♥️

Trip type: Traveled solo

Dear petersgal,

Thank you for letting us know how impressed you were with our services and amenities of The Grand River Hotel. We are so glad to hear from you and to learn that we were able to give you a pleasant, comfortable and convenient experience while staying at our hotel near Van Andel Arena. Thank you for your awesome compliment to our staff and to our free shuttles. We are very happy to learn that your stay was so comfortable, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 19, 2019 via mobile

I was put up there by a client, and was very apprehensive as several years ago when I stayed it was not at all good. I was pleasantly surprised to find a much improved facility with recently renovated rooms and a very pleasant and knowledgeable staff. Not the best hotel I have ever stayed in, but very acceptable, especially for the rates. Would stay there again without any hesitation!,

Trip type: Traveled on business
Nerissa M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded March 21, 2019

Dear Bill,

Thank you for taking the time to let us know how you enjoyed your stay with us! we would like to thank you for your wonderful review and for noticing our recent updates that we have made to our property. It means a lot to hear from guests who are satisfied with all of our services and amenities. We're glad you had a great experience this time with us and we look forward to serving you again.

Reviewed March 15, 2019 via mobile

Extremely satisfied with the hotel restaurant was delicious easy on easy off Expressway clean and comfortable rooms staff was very friendly and helpful Limited wait time to get to my room pool area was awesome enjoyed every minute we'll come back for vacation

Date of stay: January 2019
Trip type: Traveled on business
Nerissa M, Guest Relations Manager at The Grand River Hotel, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2019

Dear Cheryl,

Thank you for letting us know how satisfied you were with our services and accommodations. It is heartwarming to hear of how our efforts to impress you with our hospitality, comfort, and convenience have been successful. We are very happy to hear that you found no difficulties when staying with us and our amenities lived up to your expectations. Thank you for the five star review and we look forward to serving you again.