“Great birthday dinner”

The Chop House - Grand Rapids
Reserve with OpenTable
The Chop House - Grand Rapids is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 979 Restaurants in Grand Rapids
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We went to the Chop House on Saturday August 25th for my wife's 34th birthday. When I made the reservation through Open Table I listed that we were going to be there for my wife's birthday dinner. I was a little surprised that neither the hostess or server were aware that it was my wife's birthday. Also, our server never asked if we were celebrating anything special. The wait staff and hostess were a bit indifferent but my wife preferred that to the insincere fawning that sometimes happens.

The restaurant is set up in a long, narrow room with the only natural light coming from the window in the front. There is an 8 top table in the front of the restaurant and that would be the nicest place to eat if you have a large group. There is also another large table in a partly veiled off section of the restaurant with a somewhat garish chandelier. My wife called that the "Toddlers and Tiaras" section of the restaurant because it was really something more like a small child's dollhouse than a fine dining restaurant.The walls are covered with nice copies of famous paintings. The linens, plates and silverware (stainless steel but nice) are elegant. The bar is lined up to the side of the room and is just another bar. In summary, the Chop House is somewhat elegant but it's a little odd.

The strangest part of the meal is that the bread consisted of a few large sesame crackers and a few small pieces of not very good bread. We were there to feast and had no interest in bread but the stingy presentation was a bit offsetting.

The menu is on ipad type tablets. The appetizers are almost all seafood based. There is a nice selection of a half dozen salads. My wife had the wedge salad which she loved with the garlic buttermilk dressing. The portion was large and it was beautifully presented. I had the grilled hearts of romaine with bacon and roquefort with balsamic. This was top notch.

The wine list on the computer menu was extensive and easy to navigate. Wine mark up was about double the retail cost of most bottles. They didn't have their extensive scotch and whiskey offerings on the computer menu but had them available via their online menu. I had a glass of Oban which was a fairly generous portion.

The reason this restaurant gets a 5 star review is that it is a steakhouse and excels as such. There are nearly 15 different fine meat offerings on the entree portion of the menu including hard to find options like venison, beef wellington and a cowboy steak. I had the veal shank which was perfect. Very large chop, marvelously cooked - just a hint of charring. A magnificent dinner. It was also not insanely priced - $36.

I also had 3 shrimp with the veal. They were true jumbo shrimp, wonderfully grilled and a bargain for $9 for 3 of the best large shrimp I've ever eaten.

My wife had the petit filet which she loved. $32. Medium well was delivered perfectly and the cut was excellent.

We also had the wild mushroom and garlic smashed potato sides. Both were excellent.

The dinners were also quickly served and everything came out together and nice and hot. The restaurant has a server carry each item out together. The servers make a big deal about holding the entrees above the table and then lowering them at the same time. This was kind of silly but it did show that the Chop House knows that the entrees are the reason their restaurant shines.

The dessert offerings were all middle of the road, standard fare. We passed on dessert because there wasn't anything innovative or which seemed like a "must try." On the way out we asked the hostess if there was anywhere she would recommend for dessert. She said that the Reserve across the street might have some good options and it did.

2 salads, an $18 scotch, a veal chop with 3 shrimp, a petit filet, wild mushroom & mashed potatos came to $144 before tip. Not cheap but worth it for a special occassion and about $50 less than the same meal in Chicago.

My wife had a great birthday dinner and woke up the next day saying "Let's go back to the Chop House tonight." We'll be back for a special occassion.

There was another review on Trip Advisor that the Chop House doesn't enforce a dress code. This was true the night we were there. A 4 top sitting next to us consisted of 4 30 year old guys in shorts and short sleeve shirts. I am pretty laid back and hate getting dressed up on the weekend but could see how people out for a big night like a birthday, anniversary or business meeting would be frustrated by the anything goes lack of a dress code. We didn't care but for some more "old school" folks it could be disappointing.

We enjoyed our dinner greatly. We will be back.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

I start by saying the food is excellent, but there are several really good steak houses in Grand Rapids. The service is average, but the restaurant was busy. My gripe is that we made reservations for a special occasion dinner. Dressed to the "nines"; suit, dress, heels etc. We were seated between a couple with flip-flops, cut-offs and tee shirts, complete with reverse ball caps and on the other side a couple, dressed similarly, one of whom smelled as though s/he hadn't bathed in a week. We commented to the host on leaving, who was very understanding and actually agreed, but admitted they didn't want to do,anything which would keep away business. Well, it's keeping us away.

2  Thank Welshman42256
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We loved everything about THE CHOP HOUSE, Service was excellent , presentation when food is brought to the table is superb.

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We tried the Chop House on a Friday night and were absolutely delighted. From the minute we sat down at the bar to our night cap in the Cigar Bar, everything was perfect.

We had a lovely martini and Woodford cocktail at the bar and followed up with impeccable service in the restaurant. The filet was so tender you could almost cut it with a fork and the crab cakes were loaded with fresh crab. The Aug gratins were fabulous and enough to feed a small army. Most impressive was the awesome service.

We finished the night in the basement cigar bar. Wonderful! We'll be back!

2  Thank dre51
Reviewed July 20, 2012

Was staying at the Amway Hotel across the street for a conference. Came over with group of co-workers. Our waitress was amazing. Half the items we ordered were because of her recommendation. Atmosphere was great - we really loved how they presented the dishes simultaneously to all in our party. Don't miss the Creme Brulee Cheesecake... the pastry chef is a wonder.

1  Thank luv2travelMAP