“So many other better choices in GR”

Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Harrison Township, Michigan
“So many other better choices in GR”
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed in GR for work a lot I try to try different hotels but this was my only hotel in the area I will not stay at again. It's located across from a Hilton and Marriott but the inside looks like it should be in a bad neighborhood. Hallways very narrow and smell like cow poop. Room smelled like smoke, stains on comforter, AC barely worked, color on the TV was fading. Didn't stay long enough for breakfast. Bathroom did look like it had just been remodeled and there were vacuum lines on the carpet wasn't horrible but there are better choices in the area for about the same price.

• Stayed October 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kalamazoo, Michigan
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Checked in mid evening, around 8pm, and the girl behind the counter was the most incredibly rude person you can imagine. She had a very confrotational attitude and got angry and snarky with us. The reservation had the name of the guest spelled wrong, so she claimed there was no reservation, and acted all nasty with us over it. She is simply mean and terrible to deal with and should be fired.

On the way to our room at the other end of the building, someone staggered up to us in the parking lot and asked for cigarettes. BTW, our room was on the second floor and there is no elevator. Or phone service. That may be fixed by now.

Some drunk guy was bouncing from one wall to the other, staggering down the hall.

Someone set off a smoke bomb in the hallway. We told the girl at the front desk, who again got angry with us and said, what was SHE supposed to do about it? We suggested calling the manager or maybe the police, and she went off on a rampage about how she was doing her job. Apparently her job is being nasty because she did that quite well.

Now on to the room...like I said, I'd rather sleep in my car. The room was filthy. The carpet was nearly black with dirt, the bathroom floor was sticky, and the toilet was filled with poop. The seat and rim of the toilet were covered with dried urine. Everything in the room was dirty, with the exception of the sink countertop and handle, and the shower stall. I'm very glad I brought along some Lysol wipes - I cleaned the room up myself. I kept socks on while walking in the room, and they were black on the bottom.

Here's an extra special bonus: My friends in the next room, in addition to the filth, found a drug pipe in the kleenex holder, complete with a little pot. Who knew the rooms came with complimentary drugs?

Room Tip: Do Not Go Here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Molly S
MANISTEE
Reviewed October 4, 2012

My wife and I come to Grand Rapids every fall to see what my competition is doing. We have stayed at this motel a number of times and it has always been pleasant. I do wish they would improve the selection of breakfast items.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

ELLENTON
Reviewed October 2, 2012

This hotel was a great value. Room was clean and neat and well stocked. Breakfast was pretty basic but well stocked. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Super 8

Super8GrandRapids, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Joseph K -

Thank you for such a kind review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am glad we were able to provide you with a clean room and a well stocked breakfast.

Onlaska
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Was on a motorcycle ride. Good lighting for bikes. Friendly front desk staff. Allowed us to use coupons even though we booked via Expedia, which reduced our rate 30%. Small breakfast area but food was filling. Appreciated coffee pot in room. Easy to get extra pillows. Great barbecue restaurant behind hotel (Bones). Loud A/C.

Room Tip: Good economy hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Super8GR, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, August 29, 2012
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to comment about your recent stay with us here at the Super 8. I am glad we were able to provide you with safe and comfortable accommodations (and great Barbeque) during your time in Grand Rapids. As for the loud air conditioner noise, I am truly sorry for any disruption with your stay. Throughout the summer we have either repaired or replaced any air conditioners that we find not to be working at 100% efficiency. If you have a moment I would greatly appreciate more information regarding your reservation so that I can identify the room you were in and make sure the air conditioner has been replaced.
If you have any additional comments regarding your recent stay or any other issue, please feel free to contact me directly.

616-957-3000 ext: 302
Midland, Michigan
Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were in Grand Rapids to visit family- we only needed a hotel for a bed and quick shower in the morning so we didn't want to spend a lot of $ - all I can say is the rate was good ($58). My pillow felt like a bag of potatoes. My cousin's smoke alarm kept beeping during the night. When she called the desk they told her to take the battery out! Carpets were filthy - our feet were black from walking on them. Windows were filthy. Wallpaper was peeling. Phone was sticky (?) When we asked for another pillow and blanket the desk clerk complained "I've already gone on one wild goose chase for a pillow tonight." We won't be returning.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Sparky3713
Super8GR, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Sparky3713 -

I first want to thank you for taking time out of your day to write about your recent stay at our hotel. Secondly I want to apologize for the frustration you experienced while staying with us. Your detailed account of the problems you experienced were unfortunate to hear but also insightful as we are able to better pinpoint our areas of improvement. Specifically I have purchased additional blankets and pillows to better serve the needs of our guests as well as instructed the housekeeping staff to replace worn pillows as needed.
Cleanliness of the hotel is of utmost importance to the staff here at the Super 8 and we have continued to follow our strict deep cleaning schedule for our guest rooms in which each room is inspected and cleaned from top to bottom. Due to your experience I have increased our deep cleaning schedule as well as used your comments as a training tool for our entire staff, both in preventing negative guest experiences but also in how to correctly respond to those experiences once they happen.
Please contact me directly with any additional questions or concerns you have with this or any other stay. If you are ever in Grand Rapids again I would welcome the chance to have you stay with us. Please contact me directly so that I can personally handle your reservation.

Super 8 - Grand Rapids