“Yes it smells like smoke, but it's not a bad place!”

Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport
Ranked #39 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Reviewed April 30, 2012

Have you ever tried to get the smoke smell out of a building? It's not easy. Other than the smoke smells in both the halls and in the room, this hotel isn't bad. The rooms are a good size, the bed's aren't horrible, the shower is warm and has good pressure. There's plenty of light sockets (which is an issue in a lot of hotels). As a somewhat expert traveller I bring air freshener with me everywhere I go and the smell was gone once I opened a window and sprayed the freshener. The front desk was attentive and kind with check in. The maids weren't noisy enough to wake me in the morning. This place isn't bad, just equip yourself to handle with a little smoke smell and you'll be find.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport

Reviewed March 30, 2012

This hotel has a 2.5 rating but they forgot to put the minus sign before the number. Broken windows, holes in walls, telephone cords that fall out when you move the phone, no security, back doors left open all night, filthy floors obviously had not had a good cleaning in a very long time, fan in bathroom did not work, and it reeks of old cigarette smoke. I felt very unsafe in this hotel!
Management that does not care and does not follow up on concerns. During the recent heat wave the ice machine was not working and when I asked when it would be fixed I was told when it starts making ice! Should be revisited and have its rating downgraded. There were other issues too but i think you get the idea.

Room Tip: there are no good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank mizmac
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

I wanted take a moment to contact you in regards to your recent stay at our hotel. Although the hotel strives for 100% guest satisfaction, comments such as yours are the best way to learn what are areas of improvement are. I want to apologize for the frustration you experienced while staying with us and would like to compensate you for your troubles. Please contact me directly so that I can locate your reservation and issue a full refund.
I want you to know that I have addressed the concerns you had about your stay (Replaced broken guest room window, deep cleaning of guest room carpets, repairs to ice machine, etc). In addition I have used your review as a training tool for the staff to stress to importance of responding to the concerns of a guest immediately.
Once again, I am sorry for any problems you experienced during your stay and I am hopeful for future dialogue with you so that I can process your refund.

616-957-3000
GM@GrandRapidsSuper8.com

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I have stayed in a ton of super 8s. This one is average. The rooms were clean and the people that work at the front desk are pretty nice. The breakfast was terrible. The milk was usually room temp and tasted sour. They don't have a waffle maker. Either way its a decent place to stay if your on a budget and don't exspect much.

• Stayed: September 2011
Management response:Responded July 5, 2012

Thank for you for taking the time out of your day to comment on your stay with us. I wanted to address your concern with our breakfast. As of last month, the Super 8 Grand Rapids Airport is now offering the Enhanced SuperStart breakfast featuring Kellogg's cereals, fresh fruit, yogurt and waffles. In addition, we offer our warm and delicious Simply Super Cinnamon Rolls. If you are ever in Grand Rapids again, please contact me directly so that I can ensure you 100% satisfaction.

616-957-3000
GM@GrandRapidsSuper8.com

Reviewed January 23, 2012

I had another last minute stop in Grand Rapids, stayed here again and it was as I remembered it. I didn't book a room in advance, walked in at 10pm and there was a clean, comfy room waiting for me. It's clean and the ladies at the front desk are always kind and accommodating. This hotel is not fancy, very basic. If you only need to stay here a short period of time close to the highway, its great! I will continue to stay here!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 29, 2011

Stayed at this hotel from the Top Secret Travelocity site. 2 star hotel, I figure it should be OK for one night. Very smoky and old, my throat was very scratchy in the morning from the smell and couldn't sleep. Why is this a 2-star hotel? Wanted to ask to be moved to a different room but we were lucky enough to actually get someone to check us in.

Very disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Lobby smelled bad. The hallway smelled strong of cigarette smoke, fortunately the smoke smell was not in the room itself. Worst of all - from 2AM - 4 AM, there was a young child and it's mother that yelled, screamed and cried the whole two hours! Where was management? Why didn't they step in and stop the noise? I mentioned the noise to the clerk in the morning he mumbled an apology. We were very disappointed! :( Not coming back!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
BaymontGRR, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2012

I first want to thank you for writing such a detailed account of your stay with us last year. Although I was shocked to hear about your stay, I feel want you to know that it has been used as a training tool for the entire staff.

I also wanted to inform you that management at the hotel has in fact changed. As of February 1, 2012 I became the General Manager of this property and it has become my priority to improve the experiences for each of our guests. Although I was not the General Manager at the time of your last stay it is my hope that you will consider staying at our hotel the next time you are in Grand Rapids. If so, please contact me directly.

Mike.McWilliams@ihrco.com

Reviewed September 8, 2011

My room smelled of smoke, but was otherwise OK. The parking OK, the neighborhood OK. Nothing special, nothing horrible. The Hilton is across the street.

The breakfast room was not fully stocked when I arrived around 8 a.m.. The attendent came in and stocked the breakfast bar, and then the maids came in as soon as she left. They stuffed their pockets with bagels, yogurts, muffins, and other stuff. When they were done filling their pockets they grabbed a coffee, juice, or milk and then retreated to the maid room like a bunch of mice, leaving the breakfast bar nearly empty again. The room had not been cleaned. There were crumbs all over the tables.

I won't stay here again, but you might enjoy the sideshow at breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends