“Motel lacking management!”

Ranked #38 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Adrian, Michigan, United States
“Motel lacking management!”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The Lobby smelled bad. The hallway smelled strong of cigarette smoke, fortunately the smoke smell was not in the room itself. Worst of all - from 2AM - 4 AM, there was a young child and it's mother that yelled, screamed and cried the whole two hours! Where was management? Why didn't they step in and stop the noise? I mentioned the noise to the clerk in the morning he mumbled an apology. We were very disappointed! :( Not coming back!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
BaymontGRR, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
I first want to thank you for writing such a detailed account of your stay with us last year. Although I was shocked to hear about your stay, I feel want you to know that it has been used as a training tool for the entire staff.

I also wanted to inform you that management at the hotel has in fact changed. As of February 1, 2012 I became the General Manager of this property and it has become my priority to improve the experiences for each of our guests. Although I was not the General Manager at the time of your last stay it is my hope that you will consider staying at our hotel the next time you are in Grand Rapids. If so, please contact me directly.

Mike McWilliams
Mike.McWilliams@ihrco.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Kettering, Ohio
Reviewed September 8, 2011

My room smelled of smoke, but was otherwise OK. The parking OK, the neighborhood OK. Nothing special, nothing horrible. The Hilton is across the street.

The breakfast room was not fully stocked when I arrived around 8 a.m.. The attendent came in and stocked the breakfast bar, and then the maids came in as soon as she left. They stuffed their pockets with bagels, yogurts, muffins, and other stuff. When they were done filling their pockets they grabbed a coffee, juice, or milk and then retreated to the maid room like a bunch of mice, leaving the breakfast bar nearly empty again. The room had not been cleaned. There were crumbs all over the tables.

I won't stay here again, but you might enjoy the sideshow at breakfast.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
London, Canada
Reviewed September 6, 2011

i was here on a very brief overnight stop, booked through expedia. the room very fresh and clean. no concerns with the cleanliness. very basic, which was fine, i wasn't even in town for 12 hrs! front desk was super nice and pleasant at check in and in the morning when i checked out. the breakfast was very simple, cereal with bagels, coffee and juice. i would stay here again, and recommend this spot if you just need something simple for a short period close to the airport or davenport university.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Troy Michigan
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed here with my kids one evening on my way back from Michigan's Adventure. It was too late to drive all the way back home. So, we looked for a place to stay for about 6 hours of sleep then back out onto the road. This was one of the few cheap hotels still available when I called. I think I know why. This hotel is old, and the 2nd story floors squeeked while you walked to tell you so. However, the most objectionable part of the stay was the smell in my room. It was musty, smokey, and bad cleaning products smelling in each breath I took. Luckily, I could open the 2nd floor room's window to get some relief.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have to admit this is one of the better Super 8 properties I have ever stayed at. The room was basic but clean, very comfortable bed. Employees were nice and I was situated right near the ice machine which was cool (no pun intended). The AC was great first night, not AS good (but not bad) the second night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I house groups here often and they always have great things to say about this property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I had read mostly positive reviews about this place so I wasn't worried at all... We came in late, the side door glass was cracked and the door wasn't even locked. Our first room was filthy. The floor didn't look like it had been vacuumed and there was half of a condom rapper by the trash can (not ours), gag. I called the front desk and the guy was friendly enough and gave us a new room. It was on the second floor and seemed to be cleaner. However, the walls were paper thin and we could hear EVERYTHING going on around us. Also, Michigan just became smoke free in 2010 so the hotel still smelt of stale smoke. Honestly I thought $50 was way too much for this place, $25-$30 a night would have been more appropriate. I would not ever stay here again. We won't cheap out next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
randyscales, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
We at the Super 8 Grand Rapids Airport truly pride ourselves on the cleanliness, safety, and comfort of our guests. In your case we failed badly and wish to sincerely apologize for the concerns you had on your recent visit. Concerning the cracked door, it was damaged on Friday the 8th of April and a new door was installed on Tuesday the 12th as soon as it arrived (damage was caused by a rock thrown by a mower). The door locking system was operating properly and is programmed to lock at 11:00pm nightly. The condition of your first room is inexcusable and should not have been available as it had not been cleaned prior to your arrival.
Since the opening of the hotel as a Super 8 in 2008 we have received the Pride of Super 8 Award and have received an “A” score every month since opening. I am truly sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay and hope you will give us and all the Super 8’s another chance to prove how great we can be at a reasonable price.