“Smelly Hotel”

Ranked #39 of 49 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Troy Michigan
“Smelly Hotel”
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed here with my kids one evening on my way back from Michigan's Adventure. It was too late to drive all the way back home. So, we looked for a place to stay for about 6 hours of sleep then back out onto the road. This was one of the few cheap hotels still available when I called. I think I know why. This hotel is old, and the 2nd story floors squeeked while you walked to tell you so. However, the most objectionable part of the stay was the smell in my room. It was musty, smokey, and bad cleaning products smelling in each breath I took. Luckily, I could open the 2nd floor room's window to get some relief.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I have to admit this is one of the better Super 8 properties I have ever stayed at. The room was basic but clean, very comfortable bed. Employees were nice and I was situated right near the ice machine which was cool (no pun intended). The AC was great first night, not AS good (but not bad) the second night.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Fenton, Michigan
Reviewed June 23, 2011

I house groups here often and they always have great things to say about this property.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I had read mostly positive reviews about this place so I wasn't worried at all... We came in late, the side door glass was cracked and the door wasn't even locked. Our first room was filthy. The floor didn't look like it had been vacuumed and there was half of a condom rapper by the trash can (not ours), gag. I called the front desk and the guy was friendly enough and gave us a new room. It was on the second floor and seemed to be cleaner. However, the walls were paper thin and we could hear EVERYTHING going on around us. Also, Michigan just became smoke free in 2010 so the hotel still smelt of stale smoke. Honestly I thought $50 was way too much for this place, $25-$30 a night would have been more appropriate. I would not ever stay here again. We won't cheap out next time.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
randyscales, General Manager at Motel 6 Grand Rapids - Airport, responded to this review, May 24, 2011
We at the Super 8 Grand Rapids Airport truly pride ourselves on the cleanliness, safety, and comfort of our guests. In your case we failed badly and wish to sincerely apologize for the concerns you had on your recent visit. Concerning the cracked door, it was damaged on Friday the 8th of April and a new door was installed on Tuesday the 12th as soon as it arrived (damage was caused by a rock thrown by a mower). The door locking system was operating properly and is programmed to lock at 11:00pm nightly. The condition of your first room is inexcusable and should not have been available as it had not been cleaned prior to your arrival.
Since the opening of the hotel as a Super 8 in 2008 we have received the Pride of Super 8 Award and have received an “A” score every month since opening. I am truly sorry for the problems you encountered during your stay and hope you will give us and all the Super 8’s another chance to prove how great we can be at a reasonable price.

Travelers are raving about these Grand Rapids hotels

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed April 5, 2011

they charged us multiple times for the stay even though we could prove that we pre-paid back in january, would not help resolve the issue, the manager never showed for work to help at all, was hung up on 3 times, told to not ring back, was spoken to rudely, swore at and i still havent received my money, they owe my $125, will never stay there again, or at any other super 8, has ruined that last days of my vacation, beds uncomfortable and pillows lumpy.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Guest made reservation through Rabbitrate and using a Debit Card to hold the reservation it was “authorized” for the length of stay requested by the client. Being from outside the U.S. it appeared that the guest was unaware that an Authorization would “freeze” the funds and would be released based on their Banks policy. We did not charge her card until check out as she requested. Debit Cards have always been a problem for individuals who are unsure of how they work and want to hold the hotel responsible for the holding of an authorization when in fact it is at the Banks discretion. We are very sorry for any inconvenience the guest may have encountered and truly hope that they will stay at a Super 8 in the future and see how welcoming and friendly we can be.
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed October 27, 2010

We had a room with a jacuzzi in it and it was wonderful! Room was clean and it was quiet.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 11, 2010

Given the cheap price, we didn't know what to expect. But we've had good experiences with Super 8's, so we gave it a try. We weren't disappointed. The staff was very friendly, and lots of recommendations as to local activities. The rooms were clean. Overall, we felt this hotel was quite a bargain. We'll stay there on our next trip to Grand Rapids.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple