“Great Basic!”

Ranked #31 of 48 Hotels in Grand Rapids
Holton, Michigan
“Great Basic!”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

First of all, no blow dryer, no iron, foil packets for shampoo, no tissues, no breakfast, and the smallest coffee maker I've ever seen. My king room sported a fridge and microwave, although I understand not all rooms have those. USA Today and coffee are available in the lobby. There are no elevators, so if you get the 2nd floor, you'll be tuggin' luggage up the stairs. No hallways here: all rooms open to the outside.
But aside from all this, the staff is great, the rooms clean and comfortable, and a great McDonald's is 100 feet away. IHOP 200 feet, and Bob Evans across the street. Rooms are dated, but well cared for.
I read from another review that they are pet-friendly, which would be great. For the price, I'd pack my own blow dryer and iron, and stay here again. And great location: right off the highway, and close to a lot of things. Please, keep it up Red Roof!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corsair53
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review. We're glad you enjoyed your stay in our Superior King rooms which do come with a micro-fridge and in room coffee. We don't offer as many ammenties as some of the much higher priced hotels but we feel it is still a great value. I have already shared your comments with our staff. We look forward to seeing you again when you are in Grand Rapids.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Polish first
Muskegon, Michigan
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I booked the hotel just on price alone, and I was pleasantly surprised. I was just looking for cheap in all honesty. When I pay under 50 bucks for a room, I figure I will get what I paid for, i.e. smelly room, uncaring staff, dirty, uncomfortable bed...etc. However, here, it was just the opposite! Michelle at the front desk is a joy! She even called up to the room after I checked in to see if everything was OK! When I checked out, she even remembered my name. The lobby is clean and welcoming, and that transitioned to the room. It had a king sized bed with clean sheets, no stains, and plenty of pillows. The bathroom was spotless. The A/C unit was actually fairly quite, too, and cooled the room down nicely on a 90 degree day. The entire property was well landscaped which shows the owner/operators care. TV had plenty of channels plus the service where you can watch new movies before they go to DVD. All you do is select it on your remote and it's added to your bill. I didn't choose that option, but there were 9 movies to choose from including The Hunger Games. I was happy with ESPN and Cartoon Network. Yep, I'm a guy for sure. Like I said earlier, for under 50 bucks, this was a great room. I felt secure the whole time, and there were no loud or rowdy people around. Oh, and they had plenty of good coffee in the lobby. Overall, I slept great and would have NO problem staying there again. In fact, I am sure I will. Book it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and felt our inn was such a great value. I have already shared all your nice comments to Michelle and the rest of our staff. Even though we are less expensive than most of our competition we still want to provide a nice clean and comfortable room to all our guest. We look forward to your next stay.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Front desk staff was very nice and helpful on all shifts. Room was clean and the beds were comfy. The only thing I would change would be to install the shower curtains that curve outward. I dislike having to brush up against hotel shower curtains. Other than that minor inconvenience, I had an excellent stay and look forward to coming back!

Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, I'll make sure to share your comments with the staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
Willis, Michigan
Reviewed June 26, 2012

The front desk staff on every shift was friendly and helpful. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable. Everything you need in a hotel for a short stay.

Room Tip: I had a room in the back. No traffic noise & no passing cars or people.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, July 12, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our inn. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. We do try to keep everything simple, clean and a good value. I have already shared your comments with our staff. We look forward to seeing you in the future.
MN
Reviewed June 21, 2012

Basic motel,friendly staff, very clean, very reasonable and PET FRIENDLY with no added charge. Always our go-to motel when traveling with the hound! Plus...free wi fi and a USA Today on the door in the morning. As others have said..no frills, but unbeatable for the price and amenities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
redroof11, General Manager at Red Roof Inn, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review of our inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and felt it was a good value for your money. I will pass on your nice comments to our staff. We look forward to having you stay with us again when your in Grand Rapids.
Oxford, Michigan
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The staff was great took care of our minor requests very quickly.Not a huge fancy place but you are not paying for it either.Room was clean air worked great we would stay again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to write a nice review of our inn. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and felt we had an excellent staff. I will pass on your nice comments to our staff. They always enjoying hearing positive feedback. We look forward to seeing you in your future travels.
Reviewed June 13, 2012 via mobile

The room was clean and provided everything one person could ask for. It is aliitle rough but better than expected. More toiletries could be offered. I was comfortable.

Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thank your for taking the time out of your busy schedule to write a review of our inn. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and felt it was a good value for your money. We try hard to provide great service and a clean comfortable room at a reasonable price. I will pass on your comments to our staff. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you in the future.