“Loved this place”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch
Reviewed October 12, 2012

What's to love about this place? Just about everything! We had to wait for our food to be prepared, but were fully informed that there would be a wait before we sat down. But we chatted with the owner, looked at all the various for sale food items and tchotchkes lining the shelves, enjoyed a 30 ounce chocolate milkshake and really had a good time until our food arrived. People were dropping in to have the owner sign copies of the two novels she's written. She said she is currently working on two more. Food arrived at just the time we were told. I had the whitefish basket. It was the best prepared whitefish I had on our vacation. My husband had the antelope burger and the whitefish chowder. Both were delicious. So if you find yourself at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, be sure to set your GPS and stop by for some great food and company. You won't be disappointed. I am so sad that I forgot to buy a bottle of SunDrop on my way out the door. Oh and be sure to take home a loaf of Ellen's bread!

3  Thank Maribeth C
There are newer reviews for West Bay Diner

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We were a bit confused when we arrived. Signs told us to go in the back, and it looked more like a general store than a restaurant when we walked in. We were not greeted and had to wait a few minutes before being seated, and then waited for menus. and then waited for our orders to be taken. While waiting, I wandered around looking at the candies, jams and tons UP centric books strewn around that were for sale.

The waitress was very friendly and apologized for the waits. She was very helpful with the menu and when I asked about their sodas, we found out that they had a great selection of small label, real sugar sodas. The ginger ale was fantastic - it had a refreshing, real ginger bite. I learned about Cheerwine soda, and bought a bottle of that to take home and try (kind of like cherry based Dr. Pepper - very good!)

The whitefish chowder is out of this world, and the burgers were great too. They're not afraid to do what they have to do to get the fries crisp - I fear saturated oil, but didn't ask - the crispy fries were fantastic, though. I wanted to try their giant cookies which looked scrumptious, but by the end of the meal, even thinking about food just to take home was no longer possible.

I'd like to go back and try the rest of their menu if i ever get back up there. Very fun, unique experience. I love eating at places where the cook really cares about the food and loves to cook. I can't get over the fact that many people fear these quirky little places where the owner chef loves to cook and is proud of their food, but have no fear of going to a chain that employs idiot children who don't care, or worse, enjoy sabotaging food.

3  Thank cantusemyownname
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We tried eating at this diner a couple times on different trips to Grand Marais. We stayed long enough one time to experience the rude service but after that we could not get past the clutter,filth, and flies and had to just turn around and leave. We only went back after that because we kept thinking with all the positive reviews maybe they had cleaned things up. Again, we just don't get it. I suppose if you're in town and you want to stick your head in and see for yourself, ok, But if you see anything like what we saw I would not even dare you to eat the food.

3  Thank Dee S
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We went in the wrong door and were pretty much scolded by the waitress who took us through the restaurant to the "in" door. We waited there for several minutes until she came back and took us to a table. She gave us menus and we waited for her to come back to take the order. She finally came and then told us that it would be 45 minutes before we got any food. It didn't matter what we ordered, it was going to take at least 45 minutes.
We left.

2  Thank love_those_wings
Reviewed September 30, 2012

This place needs Gordon Ramsey and the Hoarders show!
Disorganized with poor layout! Very cluttered! Terrible service!! Sitting at your table for a half an hour while a staff member sits at the table next to you and ignores you! Rules on the menu, not focused on the customer at all!
Good food and has so much potential! They just act like they do as they please as there is not much choice is beautiful Grand Marais, Michigan!
This interesting place needs help!!

4  Thank Ilovechase