North Shore Lodge
QualityInn
$100
$104
HIExpress.com
AmericInn Lodge & Suites Munising(Wetmore)(Great Value!)
$120
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 11, 2010

I consider myself to be a very open minded traveller. I have stayed in beautiful hotels in Vail, and I have stayed in $40 cabins in the middle of nowhere, and enjoyed them both. I think that you have to have appropriate expectations. That said, I read all the reviews and decided to book the North Shore for a last minute trip to the UP. The rates were very reasonable, and we wanted to be "on the beach".
When we checked in at 10 pm (not having had dinner yet), the lady at the front desk was very pleasant. She advised us to go for pizza at the brewery, handed me my key, and told me we could do the rest of the check in in the morning. We found the room to be very clean and large (plenty of room if you wanted to put a couple of double air mattresses on the floor, BTW). The decor was dated, but why replace sculpted carpet and wood panelling if it is clean and not worn? This didn't bother us at all. The beach is over the dunes from the parking lot, huge and beautiful. It's absolutely the best reason to stay at this hotel. There is no air conditioning, (we didn't expect any, it's rarely that hot in the UP) but a fan would have been nice.
The next morning, there was only lukewarm water for my husband's shower at 9:30. He predicted what management would have as a response for this, went to the front desk, and sure enough, she advised him to get up earlier. We laughed, not a big deal. We went into the restaurant, and were told, by a very frazzled waitress, that "sorry, all we're serving is the buffet, because the cook is WAY behind." If there had been a sign at the front door stating "breakfast buffet" and she had greeted us pleasantly, inviting us to help ourselves to the buffet, she'd stop by to take our drink order, she could have MAYBE pulled it off. We looked at the buffet and the unhappy faces of the other customers and headed to the Sportsman instead - excellent breakfast!
The second night, even with my daughter's white noise machine turned up full blast, I was kept awake by the guest snoring on the other side of the wall. We went to the pool, and one of the bathrooms was out of order.
Any of these things, on their own, would have caused me to give 3, maybe even 4 as a rating, because clean and friendly go a long way with me, but so many little things added up a general feeling of frustration for me. If you are on a budget, and have a high frustration tolerance, go for it. If not, pick another place - they all look to be within walking distance of the harbor beach!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 27, 2010

Despite the great location of this hotel, the condition of the premises is quite deplorable. Now operated by America's Best Value Inn, the remodeled/updated rooms are still in poor shape and the overall condition of the hotel is awful. I was not expecting a five star Hyatt, but this is barely a one star. I would not recommend any one giving this place "a shot" unless they are looking to be let down.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank bmwusa19
Reviewed October 9, 2009

This place is totally outdated--straight from the 70's. The rooms and hallway were dark and dank, smells horribly like mold and mildew, the pool area is dirty and the pool is not heated. The curtain rod fell off on the floor when we tried to open the curtains to let some light in. There was trash and litter all over the ground near the dumpster. I am pretty open minded but this place was a complete and total dump.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank autumnmichigan
Reviewed September 28, 2009

Rented one of the House keeping Cabins for two nights to tour Pictured rocks with wife and father. When we first got to the Cabin I thought this wasn't to bad but soon noticed a bad smell in the Kitchen area that kept getting worse by the next day. Pulled out the Couch and found alot of dirt but nothing that would cause an odor. The day we checked out we informed the Management of the smell and they just said that yes they had noticed it too and had pulled out the Stove and Refrigerator and found nothing. We should have informed Management sooner but feel thay could have given us a price break later if thay knew of the problem.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank taylor4069
Reviewed September 2, 2009

This hotel was a nightmare! I would never recommend this lodge to anyone and I am not a fan of giving poor reviews. The rooms have not been remodeled as it states in their ad..the outside has but the inside of the rooms are dated back to the 1950's. The first room were got the toilet didnt work. We settled with the second room we got but the lock on the door didnt work. The pool was ice cold.. it clearly is not heated, the sauna was still broken, the whirlpools jets did not work and the ice machine was broken. In addition there was mold on the ceiling of by the pool. Cant say I would recommend a weekend get away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple