“Give it a chance!”
Review of North Shore Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
North Shore Lodge
Reviewed May 28, 2014

Been staying here for a week annually for ten years or so. Really love the location at the end of the peninsula with the harbor on one side and Lake Superior on the other. It is not a chain hotel and doesn't have the latest décor and up to date facilities, but it is functional and you just cannot beat its proximity to the local attractions. You can easily bike or walk into town to dine at several very good restaurants one of which is Lake Superior Brewing Company. Our family prefers this place to the busier towns nearby. It is a great place for exercise, rest and restoration even though the indoor pool won't be in service again this season. Just talked to the new manager who is working on sprucing up the property. Since we stay a week, we use the cabins, but the motel would be a good choice.

Room Tip: If in the motel, choose a second floor room in the building closer to town...you get a steady breeze...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank nasarijo
There are newer reviews for North Shore Lodge

Reviewed May 15, 2014

The lodge is very decent for the price. Neat and clean, close to all the major attractions, good and fresh breakfast. I stayed for 2 nights and have no complains, more than worth the money. And yes ! it is nicely located right next to the lake Superior which is amazing as you can enjoy a lovely morning or evening in just few footsteps from the lodge.

Room Tip: Lake Facing room are so serene
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CriticLife
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We happened upon this place when traveling in the U.P. The place is old and in need of updating/repair. The room was small and had that old motel smell to it. The bathroom was one of the smallest bathrooms I've even seen. You had to close the door before you could sit down on the toilet. The light/heat lamp in the bathroom would flicker on/off while taking a shower. The bed was ok, but the rooms furnishing was mostly patio furniture. It’s an old place and knowing that we didn’t expect much. The pool was closed and from the looks of it had been closed for quite some time. The location on the lake is great, which made for a nice quite walk at sunset. The front desk staff were friendly at check in and check out. For the price, if I ever find myself up there in the future, I would stay there again. We styed in one of the motel rooms not one of the cottages. If you get a chance to stay, make sure you stop in and eat at the Sportsman's Restaurant. It's nothing to look at but man so they have some great fish and friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Worldtraveler1618
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Not like the internet picture......dirtiest place I ever stayed......had it not been so late I would not have stayed. Two piles of dirt beside a broom, dried spilled coffee all over the kitchen floor, trash beside the bed, coffee grounds in the pot, door wire swinging in the doorway. I don't mind a place being old, but it should be clean.

Room Tip: don't know about the hotel part, but don't choose a cabin
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 9, 2013

We took a weekend color tour that lead us to Grand Marais. We had read other reviews on North Shore, so our expectations weren't incredibly high - but we just needed a place to shut our eyes for one night. The location was great. We enjoyed the easy access of a night and morning stroll on the beach. I was able to wake at sunrise and get a nice shot of the light house a short walk away. The room itself was nothing to fawn over. We laughed to ourselves at the fact that there truly is NO good place to hang your towel (as other reviewers had mentioned) despite several seemingly perfect spots to place a towel rack. Breakfast left something to be desired - but if you can start your day with a toasted English Muffin and same generic jam you'll be just fine. This is a small lodge in the UP after all and I think some of the reviewers expected WAY too much. Oh, despite packing our suits and NO ONE mentioning in via our reservation or on their website...the pool was closed for maintenance. We debating requesting the rate lowered as a result, but we were just looking to have a carefree weekend - no point disputing things.

In any event, we weren't disappointed. What ultimately made me very disappointed in this lodge is that we left behind an item in our room. I have attempted to contact the lodge via email, phone (both numerous times), and even had a friend in the area the next week that was willing to stop by for me who found the lodge locked despite it being during business hours. It shouldn't be impossible to connect with someone over a left behind item....frankly, the lodge should have contacted us about it. My time ultimately became worth more than than what was left behind and I have since given up - but it is very very disappointing.

Room Tip: We didn't realize at the time that the cottages across the street were also theirs. I would look...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MatuYoop
Reviewed October 22, 2013

After a long drive we pulled into Grand Marais and liked the look of the cottages along the lake, the larger complex area didn't look enticing. The reception staff were friendly and let us look around a couple of cottages before deciding which one we preferred.

From the few I looked in they are well kept, clean, comfortable and would suit most guests. I think a lot of the poorer reviews are aimed at the lodge area instead.
Our cottage had a double bed, lounge/kitchen area and was a great place to stay, our little girl was very taken with the cosy seating area.

As other have mentioned the restaurant has been closed for a couple of years but the town has a good couple of bars/restaurants and I would highly recommend (as did reception staff) the Lake Superior Brewing Company. The morning continental breakfast was good quality and the other guests we chatted with all seemed happy with the hotel.

The Location is very scenic, right on the Lake and the town has a good quaint feeling to it. On a morning run through the town many of the friendly locals waved a hand in greeting.

I would stay again but feel the owners should put a bit of money into sprucing up the hotel and grounds as it seems to have a lot more potential.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BarryBarnstable
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here for one night. The Lodge is located by a wonderful beach on Lake Superior. The one staff person was very helpful and friendly. Unfortunately, the lodge itself is somewhat rundown but very clean. It seems more like an old fashined motel.

Room Tip: We stayed in the older back part of the Lodge which was pretty rundown. I think the rooms of the Lod...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank yoop5

Been to North Shore Lodge? Share your experiences!