“Very unhappy”
Review of North Shore Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
North Shore Lodge
Charlotte, Michigan
“Very unhappy”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed a few nights there & trash wasn't picked up at all. They only cleaned room once in a 3 day stay. Had to ask for towels, toilet paper, as they didn't even check during the 3 days. Said they had ice cream but haven't had since April but sign out front says they do. Clincher was they didn't discount our room at all when told of poor service. Would not recommend at all. Other nice motels in this beautiful area so use them. Would never return.

Room Tip: Avoid North Shore Lodge & use other lodging in area.
1 Thank Scott T

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Walker, Minnesota
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Don't stay here! Keep driving! The only thing positive I can say about this place is that there was a young person working at the front desk that tried to help us when the first 2 rooms we were given had TV's that didn't work. Finally the 3rd room had TV that worked, but the lock on the door in such disrepair that we almost couldn't get it open the second time we tried it. There's trash strewn about the grounds, the plants weren't watered and drooping. The building that had the pool in it had a vesibule entry with lots of cigarette butts and even an old chicken bone in the corner. No one cleans this place very well. Either these owners don't care or they are in way over their heads. To top it all off, someone siphoned off 1/2 tank of our car gas during the night.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank walker61

Travelers are raving about these Grand Marais hotels

Indiana
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I am very familiar with this resort. My parents stayed here 30 years ago, when it was Welker's Lodge. I remember when the pool and hot tub rooms were new. Too bad that over the years no one has kept it up. We are in room 34. it is the second floor of what I remember to be the newest building.The carpet is the same as 20 years ago, although still in good shape. The beds were clean and still firm mattresses. The old wood paneling has been freshly painted. The bathroom fixtures are older and mismatched, but still work. The sink needs a stopper. Bespreads are newer looking. Towels were new and fluffy. Housekeeping cleaned our room and vacuumed up the sand we had tracked in. Room is large with room for 2 or 3 full size inflatable air mattresses. and could sleep 8 easily. Long closet rod to hand clothes. small old 19 inch tv with cable. new light over vanity. The wifi would stop working, but I went to the office and the night clerk/boy would kindly reboot the modem/router for me. The proximity to the beach and the sound of the surf is the reason to stay here. No phone, microwave, or fridge in the room. No ice or pop machine for guests....I really miss that luxury, especially after the fish dinner I ate at the Lake Superior Brewing company. People over 50 should be put on the ground floor. I asked, but they were full. I was charged $99 per night, but was told that non air conditioned rooms were $89 a night. I plan on asking for a refund of the difference in the morning. Is this too much for this hotel? YES!, but you pay for location and this is lakefront. The restaurant is not open. The owner of the hotel owns the Americ Inn in Munising..a very nicely kept hotel. Why would he not fix this one up the same? He is missing out on cornering the market here in Grand Marais. I will try another place in town the next time, unless the price drops below the other hotels in town.

Room Tip: Ask for newly remodeled one, they may come with a fridge or microwave, and maybe even a telephone...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oshkosh
Reviewed August 15, 2012

The location near the beach was very nice but almost everything else was very disappointing. Water stains on the ceilings everywhere, trash strewn about, garbage not emptied, messy pool area with no clean towels, television with very spotty reception. I would never stay there again.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Pinckney, Michigan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

From the garbage strewn grounds to the Ice machine that never worked to the deadbolt on the door that had my girlfriend and I trapped (until I took it apart, luckily I had tools) to the restaurant that was never open and the inch of sand in the Hot tub and the mold on our shower curtain or the non existent WiFi and the crappy cable and small TV to the room phone that didn't work and the outdated decor or the walls so thin you could hear everything from three rooms down or the fact that we had to ask for towels and coffee or the non-existent fridge in the room, it was quite honestly the worst hotel experience I have ever had. I even spotted what looked like a rat at the dumpster one day. There are only two things good about this place, first is the location to Lake Superior (just over the dunes) and second is the location to the Superior brewing company in town and that's it. If you want to know what living in the projects is like, visit by all means, if not stay away. The pictures are very misleading, they are frosting on a turd.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms if the comments from other guests were as accurate as my review.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Looked nice on their website. Looks can and were deceiving! Clean, but very old and run down room. Trash and beer cans littered the outside of our building for the entire three days of our stay. We actually got locked in our room one day when the deadbolt wouldn't open. Had to remove it ourselves to get out. Restaurant and lounge were closed. Ice machine was broken. Ugly dumpster and other debris cluttered the grounds. If you can't afford to provide proper (advertised) amenities to your guests, you shouldn't be open at all!

1 Thank KimT1424
Trenton, Michigan
Reviewed August 9, 2012

First, the website is a lie. We found the hotel to be unkept and need of help to run the hotel. The grounds were run down and I think someone lives in the shed behind the gift shop. Very weird. The resturant was not open because they lacked the staff to run it. Forget about anyone cleaning your room. They don't have the staff to do it. Maybe it was because we only spent two days there. Not sure, but the trash was still in our room when we returned in the late afternoon. I had to go to the front desk for clean towels, which I had to wait 10 minutes for because there was only one person working at the front desk. Plus she was extremely rude and short with everyone who needed help.I'll give her the benefit of the doubt, maybe she was just over worked. The pool and hot tub were dirty. Stay out. Grand Marais was pleasent, but the issues with the hotel just made the two days we spent there horrible. This hotel is NOT worth $99 a night ($99 w/air or $89 w/o air.) Not worth either price.

1 Thank nascartb

Been to North Shore Lodge? Share your experiences!