“Had a great time!!”
Review of North Shore Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Grand Marais
North Shore Lodge
Marquette, Michigan
“Had a great time!!”
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We had a great time. They have done a lot of updates and the place looks wonderful. The room was clean and the staff was very helpful. Beautiful location right on the beach and walking distance into town. We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Lino Lakes, Minnesota
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Have not stayed in the lodge but have been to gift shop and resturant numerous times over the years. Just looked at website and the remodel job looks wonderful. North Shore Lodge has always been clean and the resturant a favorite of travelers and townsfolk alike. Manager Pam Hicks has always done a great job. The gift shop is just loaded with so many items. I love the local stuff. I often buy my christmas ornaments there. Next trip there will be to buy Grand Marais items for the grandkids. The staff at North Shore Lodge has always been wonderful, friendly and very helpful. I can't wait to see the place after the remodeling. Pictures on the website are great.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Fishers, IN
Reviewed November 18, 2010

This was my fourth trip to the UP in six years - I chose this location because I wanted to be on the lake. My experience was not nearly as poor as others have reported here. I'd reserved a cabin, but found it too 'rustic' for my taste. I was given three room keys and told to choose the one I liked best. I found the room large and clean. Television reception was spotty, but served my purposes. Ceiling fan was nice. Biggest complaint I had was that the water was turned off several days in a row because they were making repairs. But, the water in the bathroom was most definitely hot enough and plentiful. I had more than enough towels, soap, shampoo; as they left a new supply every day. My stay was marred by some very noisy ATV visitors, but they were guests, too - just not my cup of tea.
My goal was to have a week away from the rat race - and I certainly achieved that goal. I was disappointed that it took an hour to get to Munising or to Newberry for other activities, but I wasn't on any kind of time schedule, so it really didn't matter.
The manager was very accommodating and the restaurant staff was friendly. I enjoyed my week very much.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Livonia, Michigan
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We have been going to the Grand Marais area for the last four or five years and usually camp near by. My sister came for a visit from Long Beach and we wanted to show her the area. Since she doesn’t like to camp and was paying for the rooms, we checked online and found the North Shore Lodge (now called Americas Best Value Inn). I wish we had camped.
Where to begin? Location is nice. Registration went fine and staff was friendly and efficient. It was when we got to cabin number 8 that the problems started. Let me just list the problems:
• No bath towels (had to go get them)
• Only one beat up Teflon frying with just specks of Teflon on it and huge budge in the center (went to office for new pan and they tried to give me one from the restaurant which was about as bad. They sent someone to the hardware store in town to buy one.)
• Door knob to one bedroom was missing so they covered the hole with a metal plate and didn’t bother to put a handle on the outside of the door so you could close it without slamming it and waking people up
• The only storage for dishes, pots and pans and silverware was under the sink with everything buried
• Little counter space to prepare a meal
• Couch comfortable on one side very sunken on the other
• Floor slanted
• Pool and hot tub area are in need of updating so I wouldn’t use it and no one else was using it when I checked it out.
As for the restaurant, having eaten at all the restaurants in town, the North Shore Lodge Restaurant is the worst. I would recommend the Diner or the Sportsman Bar. During the summer months, both these restaurants can get busy so keep that in mind.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank MLarmee

Travelers are raving about these Grand Marais hotels

MICHIGAN
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Stayed in the old part of the hotel, which had very outdated decor, discolored ceiling tiles, tiny television with distorted sound, and a non-functioning light fixture. There is WiFi in the adjoining restaurant but not in the room. There is a pool and hot tub but we did not have a chance to use them so I cannot comment as to their cleanliness. Upon checkout, I wasn't even asked how our stay was. She just took the key and that was it. Towels were scratchy and there weren't even enough there for the 4 of us. Bathroom vanity is separate from the toilet and tub, which is handy when you have 4 people trying to get ready in the morning. The location is beautiful--right on the point with a beautiful beach and pier. Within walking distance from the Lake Superior Brewing Company which had great microbrew and excellent food. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Pinconning, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2010

I have stayed at this "lodge" twice. The first time I stayed, the room was acceptable for the price, but there was no phone. The second time, I visited with a friend. We stayed in a different part of the motel, and it did have a phone, though cell service now worked in the area. Its benefits are that the owner is very friendly and it is only a short walk to the Lake Superior shoreline. It's negatives are that there is a very strong (and not very good) odor when we initially entered. The hotel does seem to be in a state of disrepair, and the pool and restaurant were not yet open in early June. I'm not sure I would have wanted to swim there anyway...

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
West Branch MI
Reviewed August 13, 2010

Unsightly from outside. If you like gas leaking, 2 burners out on stove, filthy oven, light fixture hanging off wall in bathroom then you will like these cabins. The restaurant,(excellent food) gift shop and location are beautiful. Was not impressed at all. Didn't stay, found another place with a beautiful view and excellent accomodations in the same town.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank hellodolly61

Been to North Shore Lodge? Share your experiences!