“A place I go back”
Review of Hilltop cabins

Hilltop cabins
Reviewed August 23, 2012

My family and I spent our Fourth of July Holiday at Hilltop Cabins in Cabin # 2. We enjoyed the cabin, along with the grill and fire pit provided. I just love the new Gazebo too ! We've stayed at Hilltop every year for the last seven years and have enjoyed our stay everytime. I have found Jeanette every accomodationing whenever I have ask for anything from a special pan to cook in to a hairdryer I forgot to pack. Some of the other reviews may just need to get off thier bums and ask for what they need if it's not there. I've used the wifi in the rec room before and I was also loaned a Verizon wifi to take to back to my room when I had some business to do on my laptop. I'm not sure what people expect when they travel to the U.P. but I know what I like and it's staying at Hilltop cabins. I have traveled extensively throughout the U.P. and the U.S. and I keep coming back to this charming place and town. If you like small towns that you can travel on foot or bike everywhere, charming cabins and friendly people then this place is for you. If you are expecting the Hilton then go to Traverse City. The U.P. is about being part of nature and letting the stresses of the city go. If you would like to check your negativity at the bridge and meet new friends then come to the U.P. and to Hilltop cabins. Maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

Room Tip: Love # 15 with a view of the Lake.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank luvinature

Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had to chuckle at these other reviews written by people who were so disappointed in their stay. We stayed two nights in one of the "motel" rooms and couldn't have been happier. The room was cozy and clean. Bed was comfortable and everything was in order. The Hilltop grounds also had a deck that overlooked the lake in the distance, a gazebo in back that had fabric walls and a chair set (a nice place to sip a bottle of wine and read a book) and there was plenty of space to toss a football or frisbee around. The Rec room was pretty nice too. We were amazed when we walked inside to find a brand new room with a flatscreen tv with game console and movies, a work out machine, foosball table, fireplace etc. As for town proximity, I read a review that said it was far from town which doesn't make much sense being that Grand Marais was literally 3-4 minutes away. All in all, it was a great place to kick back and enjoy some peace and quiet away from the city. Oh and the owner is a very genuine and friendly person too. We will be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank wobtotone
Reviewed August 19, 2012

My family spent a week in one of the older cabins at Hilltop Cabins. The website promised clean, comfortable accommodations with lakefront views and a better than average experience. With the photos and amenities shown on the website, the general sense we got from other reviews and the owners' Facebook page, we thought we would spend the extra cash for the place. We paid $120 per night plus tax upon arrival, as the owner requested, before we saw the cabin.

Once we got in there, it was disappointing. There was no screen door (though there was one in the picture on the website) so we had plenty of flies to deal with (at least there was a fly-swatter provided!) There was no place to put suitcases in the bedrooms (we had to use two folding chairs and one of the kitchen table chairs. Good thing there were only 3 of us!)

There was no place to hang clothes in one bedroom, and the fire alarm in that room was open with no battery. Worse, the bed linens on both beds in both rooms were not only old, stained and torn, but when we pulled back the sheets we saw hairs, which made us question whether they had been laundered between guests. The beds were squeaky and uncomfortable. The pillows were lumpy.

The curtain rods were falling down in the middle and the curtains were stained and dusty. There were spiders and spider webs on the walls, ceilings and lamp shades in the bedrooms.

Also, one night was very windy. Behind this cabin there are bushes or small trees that with wind scrape loudly against the roof and walls of the bedroom. This seems to me to also be a fire-hazard.

The shower was good, but the toilet had a serious stain at the bottom that looks like poo! Also, if we left the toilet lid up, there was an odor. We had to keep it down most of the time anyway because there was no place to put clothes other than on top of the toilet if you were dressing. There is no garbage pail in the bathroom.

The towels were nicely washed, but you had to get them yourself--along with soap and toilet paper--from the "rec" room above the garage. There were also supposed to be garbage bags there as you had to remove your own garbage too. I never found any bags so we just used grocery bags that we had with us in the one small garbage pail in the kitchen.

The living room area had no tables at all. Had we tried to take advantage of the DVD player rental, there would have been no place to put the player. We used our cooler for a coffee table, and made it work for us. The couch pillows were really dirty. With a washer and dryer on the premises, there is simply no excuse for dirty linens and pillows in a place like this.

We did not partake of the continental breakfast because we had a kitchen and brought our own breakfast food. We did find the kitchen lacking in basics other than coffee mugs, plates, cereal bowls and silverware. To cook in this kitchen, you would need sharp knives, a full set of measuring spoons and cups, and sauce pans without scratched teflon. We made do and ate out more than we had intended.

There were only bathroom towels and wash-clothes in the "rec" room; we had a kitchen that needed towels as well but only two clothes were provided. Neither was good at drying dishes!

We noticed the floor was really filthy the first day when we spilled some water and had to clean it up with a paper towel (we bought those). The bathroom floor, too, was filthy. We wore flip-flops or shoes at all times in that cabin!

One more thing we found out: there is wi-fi on the premises, but only outside the office! You have to ask the owner for the password, but then you can only get the wi-fi immediately outside the office. It does not work in the rec room or the cabin.

There is one nice view of the Grand Marais harbor outside the office by the viewing deck. There are picnic tables next to the cabins, a fire pit and wood, and a grill with charcoal.

My problem with this place is the price for the service you actually get. I feel cheated to pay a half month's mortgage to stay a week for a place with no services, bugs, dirt, and uncomfortable beds. We will not return, and we're sorry to have to say this, because we love the surrounding area and thoroughly enjoyed that part of our vacation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
10  Thank NED D
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We recently returned from our annual Grand Marais trip with my family & friends... Hilltop Cabins is a great place to stay!!! The view is absolutely beautiful! Very close to town. The accomodations are very nice! Fully stocked kitchen for your own cooking. Fresh towels & toilet paper are available; you just have to go above the garage to get them. Never stayed in a place that had a washer & dryer to use!!! The continental breakfast offered is good. We have absolutely NO complaints!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Teri T
Reviewed August 16, 2012

My husband and I have been staying at hilltop Cabins for 10 years, snowmobiling in winter, dirtbiking in summer and have stayed in all the motel rooms and cabins at some point along the way and have never been disappointed with the accommodations, hospitality, or spectacular view of Lake Superior.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Jennifer N
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Stayed at one of the motel rooms recently. Disappointed. Felt being ripped off! Room looks dated, appears to be a glorified campsite--very dated bed, sheets and location. Away from town. Breakfast terrible--- no attempt made by owner to serve some decent and simple breakfast at all while charging their customers quite a bit. I normally do not have the time to write reviews but feel I had to do this here.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank HarryIndy
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We were very disappointed in the Hilltop Cabins. My wife was so disgusted with the dirty carpeting she wouldn't walk around without her shoes. While the cabin was roomy it was very old and questionably clean. "Continental breakfast" was the room upstairs above a garage. There were 2 bananas, a loaf of bread to make toast, 2 kinds of cereal, and if you wanted coffee you had to make it yourself after you cleaned the pot (this was supposed to be enough for 15 cabins of guests.) Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Jerry L
Jeanette B, Owner at Hilltop cabins, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2012

Thank you for your very enlightening review! Although I can please 99% of my guests there is 1% that I can't and I appologize for that. As for the carpet, the few rooms and cabins that have it, they are steam cleaned twice a year during my slow times. Unfortunatly sometimes people spill things and I make every effort to clean it up thoroughly when it is impossible to steam clean it because I am booked every night. There are three rooms anxiously awaiting the arrival of the steam cleaner at their door. Room 15 ,my most popular room even with a small coffee stain by the bed. Room 12, a beautiful spacious room with a small stain by the table where someone spilled a whole can of beer. I did the smell test on this one and put my face on the floor to make sure there was no residue beer smell still lingering. And room 11 also has a coffee stain by the table. As for the coffee, I have to admit you caught on pretty quick with the coffee filters and coffee sitting by the coffee pot. I make every effort to ensure that there is coffee available and am so happy and excited when I check and see that the coffee fairies have visted and made coffee, seeing that I was out cleaning cabins and rooms, checking people in or out, mowing the yard, laundering linens, working on maintenance issues, eating breakfast or just plain passed out from exaustion. Thank you coffee fairies, you are wonderful and blessed beings:) Lastley the fruit, most people notice on thier drive here that I am two hours from civiliazation and the luxury of inexpensive fresh fruit. I did try frozen fruit but it didn't go over so well and ended up in the trash. Although I would love to provide fresh fruit everyday it is not feasible at this time. I instead concentrate on making some amazing, fresh piping hot muffins early each morning that everyone loves and compliments me on. May i suggest a muffin, a nice cup of one of two specialty teas available and a bowl of cereal or oatmeal with a couple slices of toast and jelly in my absolutley beautiful breakfast and game room:) Thank you again for your kind review and know that I have taken every word to heart and I will think about you every time the coffee fairies sneak in to help me out and make a pot of coffee:)

Been to Hilltop cabins? Share your experiences!