“Chinese”

House of HSU
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Grand Ledge
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed February 20, 2013

We usually get take-out from House of Hsu. Although we call ahead it doesn't appear that they put the order in until you arrive to pick up the order. Lunch service (dine in) is spotty...although it is excellent if you get the right server.

1  Thank Connie C
There are newer reviews for House of HSU

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Is a special treat unto herself. If you call ahead for take out, be ready for the fifteen minute wait upon arrival after the time they tell you the meal would be ready. The counterlady makes the soupnazi warm and cuddly by comparison. Used to drive a good distance to eat here or take out, but probably will not again. Food good enough, but that lady is a piece of work. Keep your distance, avoid eye contact and step away from the counter after you have spoken to her. If you get a reply more than "Give me credit card or money", consider yourself fortunate. Sen. Rick Jones must have been hard up for votes or this woman had dirt on him for him to give State recognition to her/restaurant . Remember avoid eye contact.

1  Thank Semolina P
Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

This used to be a great restaurant. The menus is large and includes hard to find gems like war shu gai. Now, unfortunately, the dining room is looking increasingly shabby and the owner is is increasingly unpleasant. Take away orders are usually not prepared until you arrive, ensuring lengthy waits in their tiny vestibule -- then they're almost never right. The food is still decent but nowhere near what it once was. I think it's sheer habit that keeps Grand Ledgers coming back to this grand old institution. Too bad -- this was among some if the better Chinese food I've had in MI.

1  Thank Liz J
Reviewed June 20, 2012

We have been here several times previously, and went out of our way a few times just to go here, because it was a good restaurant. However, we just stopped by recently and the quality of the meal was decreased significantly in our opinion.

My dad's egg drop soup, according to him, had a broth that tasted like a corn soup or corn chowder type soup. I don't often have egg drop soup, but I don't believe it normally tastes like corn. I, on the other hand, ordered wonton soup, and I was pleased with the size and flavor of mine.

The other main problem came with both my mom's and dad's main dishes. My mom ordered Schezuan pork and my dad orderd Schezuan shrimp. Schezuan dishes, as most people probably know, are traditionally quite spicy, and were marked as such on the menu. That said, neither dish was spicy at all. And that's coming from me, a person who does not have a high spicy food tolerance. Also, my dad's dish had a grainy texture, like corn starch was used but not fully mixed in. However, once again, my dish was fine, so I think I'm just better at picking dishes (or just luckier).

So while our experience wasn't terrible by any means, it also wasn't out of the ordinary, and it wasn't nearly as good as we had remembered it being. Oh, and it was also strangely quiet in the restaurant.

1  Thank elizajoe
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Waited more than a few minutes to then be told...You wait. Waited another few minutes for the person to take care of writing up carry-out orders to then be taken to a table where she threw the menus down. Not spending my hard earned money on a restaraunt that treats its patrons in this manner.