“Best hotel staff ever!”

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Grand Haven
ann arbor, mi
“Best hotel staff ever!”
Reviewed September 10, 2011

This Days Inn is perfect for families who come to Grand Haven to enjoy the beach. It is about a 5 minute drive to Lake Michigan, reasonably priced, clean, and there is a good continental breakfast served with hard boiled eggs and all the usual continental breakfast food items. But what makes this hotel stand out is the front desk staff and management. They are the friendliest, most helpful, most accomodating group of employees that we have ever come in contact with in our family travels around the US. We are diehard Hampton Inn customers, but stayed here because of the location. And we will definitely stay here again the next time we come to GH. The pool area was fun for the kids, while the outdoor patio was fun for the adults. Oh, one of the older reviews mentioned bedbugs. Not an issue at all in the 3 rooms our party was booked in. Happy travels!

1 Thank mibadger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed August 18, 2011

They stick a "non-smoking" sign on a formerlly smoking room so spent all night breathing in old smoke. We requested a new room as we have our 7-year old with us and the night shift manager named Ben spent almost 10 minutes arguing with me that non of their room are smoking and lecturing me about smoking law in Michigan. I had to tell him to zip it and go to smell the room himself. He then apologied for "someone smoking in here without permission." The truth is that if the previous guest had smoke in there once we could have gotten rid the smell by opening windows and spraying. The room must had once been a smoking room and they never bother to change the carpet and let it air out. We paid $150 for the night and we booked a room with 2 queen beds but loster brain Ben wouldn't honor it. He said "the hotel is not responsible for the misinformation that travel agencies (Expedia in this case) have on them." He said they only have 2 double bed and we said we would gladly take that but the idiot simply brushed us off by saying non was available. I had to calmly remind him that he works in the hospitality industry for him to stop screaming at us and brushing us off. I'm a former management staff of hotel Inter-Continental myself and this type of behavior is ground for dismissal... We checked out of there as soon as we could the next morning with hair, clothes, and luggage all smell like smoke. The morning shift staff were very nice though - they just need to get rid of Ben who single-handedly ruined our stay there. Days Inn needs to clean out former smoking rooms properly because if you are unlucky enough to end up with one like we did, you're toast! We regretted paying that much for a Days Inn and can't imagine how much worse the room would be had we got it on a discount. NOT RECCOMMENDED!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Melanie H

Travelers are raving about these Grand Haven hotels

Michigan
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Ok, if you have a choice, avoid this place at all costs. Here's why:

Room was not cleaned after our first night there. Had to make my own bed.
Dated, smoked-stained decor in main eating area. The light fixtures were yellowed from smokers of days gone by.
Dated, smelly carpet in hallways.
Room ceiling was water-stained in numerous places.
Old air conditioner was loud.
Bathroom was bad - dirty grout, hair-clogged drain in tub, yellow-stained wallpaper around the toilet.
Only 10 cable channels and half didn't work - three HBO channels but only one had movies at any given time. Two of the regular channels were the same station.
Forget the contintental breakfast - you'll get a better breakfast at Russ' across the street. The donuts were stale, cereal looked like it had been in the bins for some time, only apples and no other fresh fruit or yogurt, frozen waffles that I guess were ok, but some other chains actually offer waffle makers with pre-measured batter.
While the staff was friendly enough, managment/owners need to take a hard look at what's wrong witth this place and invest in their property to make it a place people want to come to.

On the up side, the pool was very nice and it was great to be able to swim even though it was chilly at the beach. Plenty of towels, and chairs to relax in.

If I had known better, I would have stayed elsewhere. There is a nice-looking Best Western across the street...may check that out next time I am in GH.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Frankfurt Germany
Reviewed August 7, 2011

Stayed in July, was humid. Room 201 above the main entrance. The Room was basic, new TV, the sink is in the hall way of the room, we had two double beds. Bathroom was basic, shower was not very clean, or I should say was well used. Beds were a disaster, very...very...very soft. The A/C was LOUD and old. Why don't hotel chains invest in central air? Doors were thin, walls are thin. The bed my wife was sleeping in had a 5 inch long blood (or ketchup) stain on the side of the box spring, did not notice it until the next morning when i woke up and looked over at her (i did not tell her until we checked out). Basically this is a hotel for summer travelers, many families were there. Will not stay here again. Sorry Days Inn, while your staff is friendly I just did not care for the condition of the room.

Room Tip: Ask where the Holiday Inn is (it's in Spring Lake, we stayed there the next night)
Toledo, OH
Reviewed August 2, 2011

I stay in quite a few hotels and I'm sorry to say this was probably the worst ever. Especially when you consider the price they charge here. The room was always damp feeling unless the ac was running at full blast. The shower head was set very low and came out of a hole in the tile, no causing or grout around it, like it was unfinished. Overall cleanliness of the room was so-so, especially in the bathroom. We loved the grand haven area and plan to return, and find somewhere else to stay.

• Stayed July 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed August 1, 2011

For a days inn. It was tidy and nice with good pool clean rooms and standard breakfast.. stay here if you can

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
MI
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I've stayed here many times visiting family in Grand Haven. This is always my spot of choice. Why? Location location location comes to mind--easy access to absolutely everything (with a car). Indoor pool is delightful! It is a trusted, reliable, predictable Days Inn in many ways (rooms are "familiar" which means nearly identical to other Days Inn rooms, continental breakfast is just what I expect, etc.), but what puts this Days Inn over the top for me is the service. Every single staff person treats me like he/she is my personal concierge, giving me not only friendly and cordial greetings, but really going out of the way to listen to me and tell me about the Inn's amenities, the city, how to get from A to B, and more. LOVE IT!!!!

Room Tip: Simply ask for what you want (king, double beds, close to pool, etc.). If they can deliver it for y...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Grand Haven
#1 of 18 in Holland
Baymont Inn & Suites Muskegon
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Fairfield Inn & Suites Muskegon Norton Shores

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Grand Haven? Share your experiences!