“Great food off the beaten path...SO WORTH IT!!”
Review of Grand Haven Islands - CLOSED

Grand Haven Islands
Michigan
“Great food off the beaten path...SO WORTH IT!!”
Reviewed July 18, 2014

This is a little gem that is just slightly off the beaten path but oh so worth it! Really only about 10 min north of the tourist town area. I can see why it is rated #2 on the list of restaurants.
The food is homemade and authentic. I ordered the Cuban Beef Bowel with chili lime sauce for lunch. This is the kind of place that is not afraid to add flavor to food…not that it was over spicy but just had a ton of flavor. Prices were extremely fair and service was GREAT!

One of our “Must go to’s” when we return to visit Grand Haven

Visited July 2014
5 Thank vega15

“Awesome!”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Completly different kind of food than anyone else in the area has. Everything was fresh and the chilled cucumber soup was incredible!

5 Thank Deeg58
Fort Collins, Colorado
“WOW!! More flavor than any Island food I have ever had!!”
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have been in Grand Haven for a week and I tried the Islands restaurant a few days ago and it was such fresh, creative, wonderfully flavored food that I had to go back again. As with the first time, I had the ropa vieja plate but this time I had the ropa vieja coco-bread sandwich and pineapple-papaya salsa. Wow, what a culinary delight. The extremely helpful and informative staff also told me about their Vietnamese soup (AWESOME!!, a must try for everyone) and the Key Lime Cheesecake desert (only $4!!). They really talked up the Key Lime Cheesecake, and since I make my own Italian Cheesecake and the idea of a Key Lime Cheesecake was intriguing, I had to try it, and I am so glad that I did, it was a wonderful cross between real hand made key lime pie and a wonderful, light cheesecake. The sauces that are available with all of the meat dishes are very different and my favorite by far is the Guava BBQ, but try them all until you find your favorite. Bon Appetit!!

5 Thank LoveToRV_2
Novi, Michigan
“Rates #2”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We were in Grand Haven yesterday for the day and have to try the restaurant because of the rating. Since this was the first restaurant we visited in Grand Haven, we cannot compare it with the others. However, we were pleased with the food and the owner that waited on us. My wife had the chicken bowl with mango sauce while my son and I had the shrimp with lime sauce. Combined with the rice, black beans, fruit salsa and chips, we were filled and disappointed that we did not have room for the desserts that sounded so good. We hoped to go back later for dessert but our time ran out. We will have the desserts the next time we are in Grand Haven. The place is not an outstanding facility but it is worth going there on your next trip to Grand Haven.

3 Thank Edward N
“Needed this”
Reviewed July 8, 2014 via mobile

This is a nice option to have in town! I ate in with my son, and the Cuban beef brisket bowl was great. The basmati rice is a little disorienting since it's so associated with Indian food for me, but it really worked well with the black beans and brisket. My son had the lime shrimp bowl and enjoyed it as well. We made his leftovers into a great burrito, so ordering the side of tortillas would be an interesting twist.

We ordered each of the four desserts to go (only $12 total) and split them among the rest of our family. Everyone loved the trifle and key lime cheesecake. This certainly goes into our local restaurant rotation, particularly for take-out. I could see myself stopping in for a $3 trifle fairly often as well.

3 Thank FBG-Tick