“Inconsistent beers, Rude staff”
Review of Odd Side Ales

Odd Side Ales
Ranked #5 of 106 Restaurants in Grand Haven
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Myself and some friends decided to do a nightcap at Oddside Ales after taking in a day in Grand Haven. We've been here before, but there were some novice beer drinkers among us.

The staff was incredibly rude. We had to walk up and get our own beer, they were gruff when we had to talk to them and they didn't seem very interested in telling us about the beer, the brewery or anything... things that would have been useful to the beer newbies in our group. Instead they were more interested in having their own conversations... You could tell the boss or owner wasn't around.

Some of their beers are excellent, but most of their experiments fail. Either they don't taste like their name or ingredients suggest they should or the combinations are just, well, awful.

Due to the horrible staff and inconsistent beer, we choose to finish our drinks and head somewhere our dollar would be better appreciated. After all, this is West Michigan. There isn't a lack of cool, small, unique and FRIENDLY microbreweries to visit. I suggest you find somewhere else.

4  Thank Joe H

Reviewed June 11, 2014

After making the rounds to five breweries on a Saturday, it's easy to make some comparisons on the beer and the service (how they handle the Saturday crush). I enjoyed a flight of beer and found Odd Sides' beer to be Very Good - to me, anyway - others' taste will certainly be different. But I especially enjoyed the Afternoon Delight and the Hells Yes. The service, however, was Not So Good. Actually, I thought the staff to be rude, insensitive and rushed.

The location of Odd Side was convenient to shops so that provided an added element of attraction.

2  Thank beej5000
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I love to try new microbreweries.. so we figured that we would try out Odd Side Ale's since we were in Grand Haven.. The first time we were there we were unimpressed. Small area, seating was crowded, smelled like Marijuana and the band playing was too loud to hold a conversation. The beer was ok. We decided to go back and give it another chance (with friends this time).. same thing. We were equally unimpressed. The beer that my husband had the first time tasted completely different the second (which were told is not uncommon for this brewery).

Not to mention the restrooms were way at the other end of this dimly lit building (and dirty). Unfortunately we will not be returning.

2  Thank Amanda M
Reviewed May 23, 2014

We loved this place! We went during a Sunday afternoon as we had plans for dinner, so it was pretty quiet. But the atmosphere was great, the staff was friendly and we enjoyed the unique beers they had to offer. I would definitely recommend it to any beer lover.

1  Thank Abbey B
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I stopped on Friday night. We go here when in town. The place was packed. My wife had the Citrate pale ale and I had the black IPA. Both were really good. The other patrons were friendly and gave up a seat at bar for my wife and involved us in their conversation.
No food but you can bring in your own. Darts and other games available. The was music. I wish I would have got the name- he was good. Stop in you will like it.

1  Thank Kevin7088