“Holy Large Portions, Batman”
Review of Porto Bello

Porto Bello
Ranked #29 of 107 Restaurants in Grand Haven
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Friends were visiting from out of town and we decided to go out to eat to a place we have never been before and we were very pleasantly surprised!

First of all, you should order the flash fried green beans. They are fantastic. I could have just sat down with a bowl of those beans and been satisfied. They were very good. One of our friends doesn't even like green beans and she couldn't stop eating them.

The portions are very large... so large that I ended up taking most of my meal home to enjoy later. They also bring bread and garlic butter to the table as well as salad.

I ordered the pasta with vodka sauce and it had a bit of a kick to it that I enjoyed. My spouse ordered pasta with garlic, olive oil and tomatoes and it was very good! I stole a couple bites because I liked it that much. The only thing I didn't enjoy was the Italian salad dressing. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't my kind of Italian.

The service was really nice. Our waitress was friendly and engaging and the food arrived quickly! I will definitely be returning.

1  Thank CliveR49417

Reviewed August 21, 2013

This place obviously survives mostly on its location. We were greeted and seated by a pleasant hostess. The waiter was pleasant but could have benefited from some more training. The dessert order was in error and the dinner plates were not cleared even as dessert was served.

The lasagna was mediocre and was not very hot. The salad was served family style, but the Olive Garden does a better job of this type of salad than the Porto Bello. The draft beer selection was limited for a place of this size. The bread was warm and tasted good.

Bottom line: there must be better places in Grand Haven.

2  Thank dave62
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Don't be fooled by the looks from the outside. We thought it was gonna be a slightly upscale place by the looks of the outside and that it had views of the lake. The staff is very nice, but the decor is very dated. I didnt like that the tables had ugly green plastic table cloths. They just breed germs to me.One of the bread plates was dirty on our table as well. The sangria was average for the price. The portions are small and not authentic Italian at all. I had the manicotti and the sauce tasted like something out of a can. It wasnt terrible, but for the price I expected something a bit more.

1  Thank AmyT29
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I wanted to treat myself to something that was more substantial and flavorful than fast food. I noticed Porto Bello while I was walking around town. The restaurant itself is very attractive and the grounds are well maintained.

When I entered the restaurant, it was empty, and the wait staff at the door looked at me as though I had landed from Mars. I asked if the place was open - it was after the traditional "lunch" hour but it was too early for dinner. I was escorted to a table. I was one of two customers.

The wait staff was prompt and pleasant, and I ordered right away. I chose the Italian sausage and sauteed pepper sandwich, with coffee as my beverage. The sandwich was so-so. The Italian sausage looked suspiciously like a breakfast link and had no seasonings. The marinara sauce was similarly uninspiring. As for the Italian peppers, I found very few pieces on the sandwich.

The restaurant doesn't seem to have a distinct direction. The menu didn't offer a lot of what I would call "upscale dining choices," but the fare was more expensive than I would have anticipated for what I received. They obviously make out on alcoholic beverages - the least expensive mixed drink was $6.75. BTW, the coffee was $2.85 a cup.

The phrase "big hat, no cattle" describes a person who is all flash but has little substance. It applies to Porto Bello. Beautiful building, awesome view of the river, but the food leaves a lot to be desired.

2  Thank Jean F
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Great food, great atmosphere. In the summertime, I recommend dining outdoors. Great italian food. A bit on the pricey side, depending on what you order. There is plenty to choose from whether you are a meat eater or a vegetarian.