“Expensive - but a very unique place”
Review of The Homestead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Arbor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glen Arbor
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Quite a pricey stay. But the grounds are very cool and the surrounding park is unique and beautiful. If you go, you need to do a lot of driving and hiking to see the sites properly. The resort itself though has much to keep one very occupied. But - those things can be done in other places. Explore! The front desk when we checked in failed to give us requested park / area maps, which stunk, as the next morning I saw other staffers doing a very good job of offering info. and ideas to new arrivals. The same desk person who checked us in (It was late and very dark) did a really lousy job of explaining our suite's location. But everyone else we encountered was very nice and helpful. The cleaning service woman was awesome. Meals were good and not overly costly.

Room Tip: The beach front condos are awesome for location. The "Village" location for the other res...
1  Thank RichBrown_12
TheHomesteadMI, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

RichBrown_12,

Thanks for coming to visit and for providing us with this valuable feedback.

I am disappointed to hear that your check in experience wasn't better. I know how frustrating it can be to not have the necessary information (especially after a long day of travel). I will be following up with my staff on this issue, and we will work to correct it.

Thanks again for visiting, we hope that you will return soon.

Best,

There are newer reviews for The Homestead

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Returned for our 25th wedding anniversary. Spent our honeymoon in Little Belle #8, returned to Little Belle #10 and not as nice. A little worn over the 25 years, but still nice. Hot tub did not work well. Staff nice, more restrictions than our last visit. Might go back if were able to stay with a lake view room.

Room Tip: Choose a room at The Inn instead
1  Thank GoBlue79

GoBlue79,

Happy anniversary! We are truly honored that you would spend it with us.

I am sorry that Little Belle is not what you had remembered. We are in the process of some upgrades now, and I hope that, when complete, they will exceed your expectations.

We thank you for your many years as a customer and we look forward to serving you again soon.

Warmly,

Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a beautiful property along the Lake Michigan coast sandwiched between the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. We spent so much time at the National Lakeshore that we didn't really get to "enjoy" the property. We stayed in Stony Brook which was nice for its provision of two twin beds for our son and daughter and a separate room for my wife and me. The only problem was the AC/heat unit is very loud and sounded like running water so that our first night of sleep wasn't restful at all. Staff is very friendly. Location is excellent. I'm not sure I'd say that it's truly worth the rate I paid given the minimal amount of time in the room. The breakfast "buffet" leaves a bit to be desired...not what I'd expect for a facility of this caliber. I'd expect an omelet station, etc. It was more "cafeteria style".

Room Tip: The rooms with at least a lake view are worth it if you're going to foot the bill to stay at thi...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Steven P,

Thank you for visiting our property. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the National Lakeshore during your stay. I hope that you will return to enjoy more of the amenities "on property" during future visits. Our property and this area are spectacular year round, so I sincerely hope that you will come see us again soon.

Best Regards,

Jaime Jewell

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We stayed in the "little belle" area of the resort. Our room was adorably cute with a fireplace, two reading chairs by a window and a large whirlpool tub. We looked over a little stream with tall trees all around. Being close to the restaurants, it was great to walk over and have a drink with pizza after a long day of driving. The entire area is beautiful; condos, homes and rooms can be rented through out the Homestead resort. The resort is in the perfect location for visiting Sleeping Bear Dunes and Glen Arbor - the price is what you normally pay during high season in a tourist town. I would definately come back and recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Little belle and fiddler's pond are in the village where the shops and restaurants are located

Tam1222,

Thank you for visiting and for this wonderful review - we appreciate both!

We are thrilled that you enjoyed your stay, and my staff and I look forward to your next visit.

Warmly,

Reviewed August 9, 2013

Overall, this is a nice but expensive place to stay in a really beautiful area--but with unpredictable service/accommodation. I have stayed here twice this year, once in May and once in July, both times at hotel-like facility called "The Inn". In May rates were lower, it was cold, but we had a stunning, truly amazing view from our room. It was just great.

So we decided to go back. We called ahead and specified that we wanted a room in The Inn with a good view of Lake Michigan. We were shocked to find on arrival that our view of the water was entirely obstructed by trees. We called the front desk and complained to a person who identified herself as Robin. When we complained about our lack of view, Robin stated that "All of the rooms in The Inn have views." Views of something: in our case, a tree. To which Robin said, "Ma'am, do you want me to come out there and chop down the tree?" When we asked for a manager, Robin transferred our call to the voicemail of someone who was not at work. Later, we found that Robin herself WAS the manager on duty at that time. It is hard to believe that someone who is this poor at dealing with guest complaints has a managerial position.

Other staff at the Homestead gave us good service, including Mark and Sarah at the front desk and Wellington at Nonna's Italian Restaurant at the resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Guy N
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We did enjoy our stay here, even though the weather was cool and rainy. The kids loved wading in The Crystal River looking for Petosky Stones. We had adjoining rooms that were spacious and very comfortable. Our stay included an excellent breakfast every morning. This is such a beautiful area on Lake Michigan near Glen Arbor, MI and The Sleeping Bears Sand Dunes National Park. It is pretty pricey, but worth it. Everyone was so friendly and accommodating and the kids loved the heated pool. Be aware, however, we had quite a bit of luggage and heavy coolers. There are no elevators or ramps to the rooms and you have to park in the street if you want to be a little close to your room for unloading and loading.

Room Tip: Let the staff know what your preferences are and they will have what you want.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Marigleck
TheHomesteadMI, General Manager at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Marigleck,

Thank you for visiting us!

We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We work hard to provide exceptional vacation experiences for our guests, and we love hearing from guests who have enjoyed our property.

We all sincerely thank you for your visit, as well as taking the time to share the experience with us!

Warm Regards,

Adriene Kokowicz
VP and General Manager

Reviewed August 6, 2013

A year and a half before my wedding I contacted the homestead. I have a strong family history with both the Homestead and Glen Arbor, so it seemed like the obvious choice. I could tell by the information emailed to me that it was going to be way too restrictive and expensive. We went with another venue, but still wanted our guests to stay at the Homestead.

We had several email exchanges with our wedding coordinator confirming our plan until we finally met in person the summer before our wedding. Our first disappointment is that our wedding coordinator acted as if we had never spoken before! She began with a tour to show us our ceremony and reception options and we were like, um, we thought we already discussed this... so that was a waste of time. Eventually we did schedule a farewell brunch.

Fast forward months later, we schedule a rehearsal dinner, too. Then, a few months after that I contact our coordinator about room reservations only to get no response. Eventually someone responds and tells me she no longer works there and a new person will contact me. Thanks for letting me know guyzzz! This is where it really fell apart.

The Homestead employees did not call us to confirm anything and operated on months old assumptions by someone that no longer was even an employee. The last contact we had from our original coordinator was that she would get in touch closer to our events to make arrangements. A few weeks before the wedding I contacted the homestead asking about menus and things for the events and they said - oh didnt you send in your wedding packet thats due 30 days before your event? Um, no. No one ever sent me anything! I freaked out that my events were going to be screwed up and the new wedding coordinator told me it would be fine, most people are late. I then received the packet, which had no pricing or menu options, so it was quite pointless.

We had a huge snafu about the start time of our dinner, which should have been really easy to fix, but the homestead was totally unaccommodating and unapologetic for not contacting us like they said they would prior to the event. At one point our new coordinator said "well I dont see why this is my problem". A very tiny issue became the worst headache and we ended up having to cancel the dinner and move it somewhere else. There is very little communication going on at the homestead.

We also had a shuttle scheduled for our guests to take them from the homestead to our wedding. My wedding coordinator spoke to the "coordinator" at the homestead to discuss the shuttle location and pick up times as did my mother. In addition, when I dropped off welcome bags a girl told me she knew about the shuttle without me even asking. But then the night before my wedding a friend told me she went to ask about the shuttle at reception and the employees said they knew nothing about it! On top of that, my friend asked about where to play mini golf, and the front desk people said "well why dont you just google it?" Totally unprofessional if you ask me. Especially since anyone who has ever been to Glen Arbor would know there is putt putt right in town five minutes away.

The Inn where we stayed for our wedding night wasn't that great, but incredibly expensive. The only thing it had going for it was the view. The pillows were huge and really uncomfortable. Bad water pressure and shower head - one of the worst showers I've had when I've wanted it the most. I got dressed for my wedding here with my bridesmaids and my fiance wanted to send us a bottle of champagne. He called the homestead and they said, nope we don't do that. Um, really? We are spending thousands of dollars here and have brought in tons of guests that are spending thousands! So my fiance had to go get champagne on his own and deliver it when he was supposed to be getting ready. So, I guess no room service at all at the homestead.

The brunch was ok. We were always waiting on food and coffee, which was a surprise since I told them 110 guests would be there. It was like they thought 30 people were coming. Most of the food I ate was cold unless I got it right when it was delivered.

Glad it's not where we got married! I'm sure it would have been the worst wedding ever. The homestead clearly knows it has some kind of monopoly based on it's location, size, and amenities, yet is doing nothing to seem like it deserves it.

Room Tip: the cheapest! you'll be mad if you pay anything more than you have to.
5  Thank kelp111
#14 of 40 in Traverse City
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
#2 of 3 in Glen Arbor

Been to The Homestead? Share your experiences!