$191
Empire Lakeshore Inn(Empire)(Great Value!)
$143
The Leland Lodge(Leland)(Great Value!)
$154
$126
$116
Northwoods Lodging(Beulah)(Great Value!)
$159
All reviewsfiddler's pondlittle bellelake michiganbeach clubcafe manitoubeautiful resortsleeping bear dunesstony brook lodgeoff seasonski hillmountain flowersgreat lakeshawks nestcrystal riverdestination weddingwatch the sunsethousekeeping staff
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Stoney Brook Lodge with our 3 kids. We were in a 2 bedroom suite. The rooms are tired and could stand a face lift. Our view was decent. But I wasn't wild about being right above the pool.

The staff is not un-friendly. But not that friendly either. We were there July 4-6. I know it's busy. But a resort of this nature needs to be. They ran out of towels at the pool. It was 20 minutes before they had more. But that's not a real complaint; more of an observation.

The room and hotel could have been cleaner. Our housekeeper was cleaning the room for the next guest while we still in there. We had not checked out. This is bothersome since it questions the integrity of the room cleanliness. And, the comforter is a duvet that was missing several buttons. From what I observed I am pretty sure they don't wash the duvet cover. GROSS!!

There needs to be more restaurant choices. It's either fancy like Nonnas. The in between is sandwiches, burgers, etc. That gets old.

I have to say that while the grounds and view are beautiful, I kind of expected more; especially for the extravagant rate we paid. The rooms seemed tired. There was mold in our shower as well. I thought Housekeeping could have done better. I hate mold in a shower.

Furthermore, all the plastic/paper products was a bit much. I think plastic silverware has its place. I am not opposed it at all. The plastic cups I understand. No
real issue there. But I am opposed to it in a restaurant. It was a bit tiresome. I felt like I was at a cafeteria.

Cafe Manitou used plasticware, but Beppi's used regular silverware, but paper plates. Breakfast was the same; more plastic and paper products. When breakfast is $14, I am highly opposed to Plastic. Especially in the plastic that you have
to open.

I am by no means an environmentalist. I recycle some things at home, and use paper products on a regular basis. But, I saw no recycling bins on property. And all that paper and plastic is not very environmentally friendly. A resort such as The Homestead has a social responsibility to aid in living clean.

Let me add, we are NOT picky travelers. I only want what I pay for. I have stayed in Holiday Inn Express' that we're better. The overall experience felt very 3 star, or less maybe. And for $500 a night, I expect a little more.

• Stayed: July 2013
3  Thank tinathetoad70
TheHomesteadMI, Manager at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

First of all, we would like to thank you for spending time with us here at The Homestead. Secondly, I would like to personally apologize for the problems and inadequate service you received during your stay.

I would like you to know that I have forwarded your comments to our accommodations manager. In regards to the silverware and recycling issues, we are in the process of ordering recycling receptacles for the entire property. Unfortunately, during your visit we had a dishwasher break and as a result we were forced to use disposable dinner ware in that facility to continue service. This was a disappointment, and we apologize for that.

Again thank you for visiting, I hope that you will return with your family again so that my staff and I may better serve you and your family.

Warm Regards,

Adriene Kokowicz
General Manager/Vice President

Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Homestead was a last minute decision as we were looking for a place not too far from home. It was also recommended by friends and we are SO glad we went. The environment was serene and peaceful; yet there was plenty of fun things to do if you wanted to be more active. The property is beautifully maintained both outside and in. We will likely make this a yearly vacation stop with our kids too next time!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Visited the Homestead recently for a family wedding. This is a real resort with all the amenities. Since the resort is fairly spread out, they offer free shuttle service within the resort. I can't say enough about the landscape architecture and the layout. There is a true mountain/lake lodge feel and peacefulness because of the streams and waterfalls that have been implemented along every pathway. Pure Zen. The pool behind the registration building is quaint and enjoyably heated, mini waterslide integrated into the landscape and all. The pool overlooking lake Michigan was a bit boring but the view made up for it.
Because of the local national lakeshore and the neighboring quaint town of Glen Arbor, we did not eat at the resort aside from the banquet meals provided during our stay. My only complaint would be that the banquet service was awful and the portions unusually tiny. (I'm all about quality over quantity, but this meal left my 5'5, 138lb frame feeling hungry still. Fortunately the bride must have known and provided a late night mashed potato bar as a snack later in the evening.) But the service timing was embarrassing, almost like there was new management and staff that had no idea what was going on. Because you don't win best place to have a wedding on service like that. Considering the rest of the resort and how it was run, I would imagine that the appropriate people have already been sacked. Our breakfast buffet banquet meal however was a stark contrast and executed perfectly.
Did I mention the views?? Caribbean of the north! I never knew Lake Michigan was so blue and turquoise! Absolutely gorgeous. COLD!!! though. about 58 degrees when we were there so wet suits may apply. I would love to return at a later time in the summer once Glen Lake and the Crystal River have had time to warm. Those would be glorious. Crystal river is indeed crystal, as is Glen Lake, reminded me of the gulf of Florida. only knee deep for a long stretch over beautiful white sand before plummeting to 130ft. The sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore hiking was breathtaking. All less than five minutes from the resort.
The view from the spa is absolutely stunning. I wish I had more time to take advantage. As an avid skier, I was surprised by the awesome use of space and integrating a par three pitch and putt where the slopes are during the winter. We rode the ski lift to the vista for the wedding ceremony and for a small mountain, I'd say that one could enjoy this resort as a ski destination if you just can't get anywhere higher. Although the wind off of lake Michigan, I'd imagine would be brutal! And, I didn't see any high speed chairs since the runs are fairly short. But for a one day leg stretcher, it would be o.k. The resort ambiance/après ski would make up for it.
On to our accommodations. We rented a house that we thought was part of the resort. Be warned that Twisted Oak 10 is about 2.5 miles away and not subject to the shuttle. That being said it was beautiful. Very well kept and served our purposes well. You can walk to "town" and the Leelanau Coffee company's fresh brew was worth it. Other family rented homes that we had a chance to view and they were equally pristine. I cannot comment on the hotel.
All in all I'd say that this is a place for an awesome romantic weekend or a full family week long vacation during any season. Kudos.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank artistinsuburbia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Stony Brook Lodge in a 1 bdrm suite. The furnishings, the layout, and the lighting were terrible - what I would imagine in a Motel 6 atmosphere. Upon arrival we wanted a drink. Freezer door was open, freezer covered in frost, so I called front desk to find out where ice was located - in the basement (were on 3d fl). Then discovered no ice bucket. Another call to desk. They offered to have send one up; I asked for it to come with ice which it did. Also when we checked in, the room was 82 degrees, AC not working. It was repaired and cool by bedtime. Then the toilet started running every 10 seconds, too late for repair. The next day the toilet overflowed; it was repaired. The last night the AC did not work again and the toilet ran every 10 seconds - again too late for repairs. The bedroom is like a tomb with no windows so it was very stuffy for sleeping.

No place in the bedroom for luggage, a very tiny closet, no counter space in the bathroom, the floor of the cheap shower creaks, one skinny mirror in bedroom with no light nearby, lighting in bathroom is horrible - a sample of our issues with this place. It's a lot of money and definitely NOT worth what they charge.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank PDCB
TheHomesteadMI, Manager at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

I am very disappointed to hear about the struggles you had during your stay, and I apologize that we did not perform better for you. We are currently in the process of updating and overhauling the Stoney Brook Lodge facility, while that is not an excuse, we do want you to be aware that we are working to improve the property. However, these facility improvements do not excuse our failures in facility maintenance or in stocking rooms adequately for our guests.

At The Homestead we are highly aware that vacation time is precious, and we are truly sorry that we did not do more to impress you during your stay. It is my sincere hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Chris Sutton
Senior Manager, Accommodations

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at The Homestead. We stayed in a Little Belle suite (this area was mostly for couples but they have other sites for families) and it was beautiful!! Everything was clean and fairly new. The service and staff was wonderful. The photos on the website don't even do this place justice. The Sleeping Bear Dunes were amazing as is Lake Michigan. I want to go back to the Homestead every anniversary because this place was so amazing. I highly recommend a vacation here. It is an amazing value for what you get!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple