“Amazingly relaxing getaway”
Review of The Homestead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Arbor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glen Arbor
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The Homestead was a last minute decision as we were looking for a place not too far from home. It was also recommended by friends and we are SO glad we went. The environment was serene and peaceful; yet there was plenty of fun things to do if you wanted to be more active. The property is beautifully maintained both outside and in. We will likely make this a yearly vacation stop with our kids too next time!!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Visited the Homestead recently for a family wedding. This is a real resort with all the amenities. Since the resort is fairly spread out, they offer free shuttle service within the resort. I can't say enough about the landscape architecture and the layout. There is a true mountain/lake lodge feel and peacefulness because of the streams and waterfalls that have been implemented along every pathway. Pure Zen. The pool behind the registration building is quaint and enjoyably heated, mini waterslide integrated into the landscape and all. The pool overlooking lake Michigan was a bit boring but the view made up for it.
Because of the local national lakeshore and the neighboring quaint town of Glen Arbor, we did not eat at the resort aside from the banquet meals provided during our stay. My only complaint would be that the banquet service was awful and the portions unusually tiny. (I'm all about quality over quantity, but this meal left my 5'5, 138lb frame feeling hungry still. Fortunately the bride must have known and provided a late night mashed potato bar as a snack later in the evening.) But the service timing was embarrassing, almost like there was new management and staff that had no idea what was going on. Because you don't win best place to have a wedding on service like that. Considering the rest of the resort and how it was run, I would imagine that the appropriate people have already been sacked. Our breakfast buffet banquet meal however was a stark contrast and executed perfectly.
Did I mention the views?? Caribbean of the north! I never knew Lake Michigan was so blue and turquoise! Absolutely gorgeous. COLD!!! though. about 58 degrees when we were there so wet suits may apply. I would love to return at a later time in the summer once Glen Lake and the Crystal River have had time to warm. Those would be glorious. Crystal river is indeed crystal, as is Glen Lake, reminded me of the gulf of Florida. only knee deep for a long stretch over beautiful white sand before plummeting to 130ft. The sleeping bear dunes national lakeshore hiking was breathtaking. All less than five minutes from the resort.
The view from the spa is absolutely stunning. I wish I had more time to take advantage. As an avid skier, I was surprised by the awesome use of space and integrating a par three pitch and putt where the slopes are during the winter. We rode the ski lift to the vista for the wedding ceremony and for a small mountain, I'd say that one could enjoy this resort as a ski destination if you just can't get anywhere higher. Although the wind off of lake Michigan, I'd imagine would be brutal! And, I didn't see any high speed chairs since the runs are fairly short. But for a one day leg stretcher, it would be o.k. The resort ambiance/après ski would make up for it.
On to our accommodations. We rented a house that we thought was part of the resort. Be warned that Twisted Oak 10 is about 2.5 miles away and not subject to the shuttle. That being said it was beautiful. Very well kept and served our purposes well. You can walk to "town" and the Leelanau Coffee company's fresh brew was worth it. Other family rented homes that we had a chance to view and they were equally pristine. I cannot comment on the hotel.
All in all I'd say that this is a place for an awesome romantic weekend or a full family week long vacation during any season. Kudos.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank artistinsuburbia
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We stayed 3 nights in Stony Brook Lodge in a 1 bdrm suite. The furnishings, the layout, and the lighting were terrible - what I would imagine in a Motel 6 atmosphere. Upon arrival we wanted a drink. Freezer door was open, freezer covered in frost, so I called front desk to find out where ice was located - in the basement (were on 3d fl). Then discovered no ice bucket. Another call to desk. They offered to have send one up; I asked for it to come with ice which it did. Also when we checked in, the room was 82 degrees, AC not working. It was repaired and cool by bedtime. Then the toilet started running every 10 seconds, too late for repair. The next day the toilet overflowed; it was repaired. The last night the AC did not work again and the toilet ran every 10 seconds - again too late for repairs. The bedroom is like a tomb with no windows so it was very stuffy for sleeping.

No place in the bedroom for luggage, a very tiny closet, no counter space in the bathroom, the floor of the cheap shower creaks, one skinny mirror in bedroom with no light nearby, lighting in bathroom is horrible - a sample of our issues with this place. It's a lot of money and definitely NOT worth what they charge.

• Stayed: June 2013
6  Thank PDCB
TheHomesteadMI, Manager at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

I am very disappointed to hear about the struggles you had during your stay, and I apologize that we did not perform better for you. We are currently in the process of updating and overhauling the Stoney Brook Lodge facility, while that is not an excuse, we do want you to be aware that we are working to improve the property. However, these facility improvements do not excuse our failures in facility maintenance or in stocking rooms adequately for our guests.

At The Homestead we are highly aware that vacation time is precious, and we are truly sorry that we did not do more to impress you during your stay. It is my sincere hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the near future. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us.

Warm Regards,

Chris Sutton
Senior Manager, Accommodations

Reviewed June 19, 2013

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at The Homestead. We stayed in a Little Belle suite (this area was mostly for couples but they have other sites for families) and it was beautiful!! Everything was clean and fairly new. The service and staff was wonderful. The photos on the website don't even do this place justice. The Sleeping Bear Dunes were amazing as is Lake Michigan. I want to go back to the Homestead every anniversary because this place was so amazing. I highly recommend a vacation here. It is an amazing value for what you get!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had a great time at the Homestead as usual! We were sad to leave. If possible when you go spring for a lake view. They are beautiful! We had a great time. The kids loved the two pools, and the playground. The beach was nice, though a little cool for swimming.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank gretchbr
Reviewed June 18, 2013 via mobile

It can be expensive, but you get what you pay for. We rented a condo in Ship's Watch and the view of the lake, Dunes, and South Manitou Island are breathtaking. There's no better way to end the day than seeing the sun set on the lake. Once it gets dark you can see the South Manitou Light.

Back to the accommodations...they were very clean and the housekeeping staff was phenomenal - attentive and friendly. We were there the first week of June so the resort was very quiet, but we tendvto prefer it that way. There's a lot for the family to do here, even more during the high season. We stay all over when we come Up North and have stayed here several times and will do so again.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We booked 4 nights at the end of May going on rave reviews and input from friends...unfortunately our experience of this "moderately high end" property was beyond disappointing. We stayed in their Stoney Brook Lodge...a 1 bedroom suite with kitchenette...

The condition of the suite, particularly the bathroom(water stains on wallpaper from shower, holes in wall from hooks removed, shower valves installed backwards), missing common items in the kitchenette, lack of attention to detail by housekeeping, 1970's televisions with minimal contrast, tacky remotes with back missing, not to mention poor and incorrect guest information, just for starters left us wondering how this property had garnered such glowing recommendations.

While the staff was very willing to correct concerns, the first 24 hours of our stay was overshadowed by constantly having to contact them to the point of ridiculousness. Upon return a 19 point letter was emailed to the general manager, Adriene Kokowitz who responded predictably as managers often do, expressing regret, noting that upgrades were in the process-like I said, predictable. Moreover she very oddly focused on bedroom mattress and fabric issues which were never part of the expressed concerns. As a highly experienced international traveler who has stayed in properties ranging from very modest bed and breakfasts to prestige end properties over 35 years, how the Homestead ranks as one of the 'top 30 resorts' in the country is a mystery unless it is banking its reputation on the exquisite surrounding landscape. In our experience with this property was a far cry from Kohler's American Club and others in this category.

Room Tip: I would never recommend this property