“Room was a disappointment, location was fantastic”
Review of The Homestead

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Glen Arbor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Glen Arbor
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My husband and I chose The Homestead for a romantic weekend get away largely based on the fact that the room at The Stoney Brook Lodge that we were renting had a fireplace and a king sized bed. The sauna that advertised sounded like a nice addition. Unfortunately the sauna did not have a working light source and it was impossible to enjoy it in the dark. The fireplace did not work either. A call to the reception office was made, and a repair order sent, but the fireplace never did work. Not very romantic. We could not use the closets as the night stand blocked the door, so hanging our clothes was an issue. Also, the towels in the bathroom were mismatched and of poor quality. In general everything in our room seemed cheap. For almost $250 a night this was a very poor deal. When we mentioned our dissatisfaction to the concierge his response was "well thats to bad". He is right, it was. We will not return, nor would we consider purchasing a time share at The Homestead.
On a positive note, the staff, with the exception of the day concierge, was helpful, pleasant and knowledgeable. The resort is in a wonderful location and the grounds are lovely as is the restaurant.

7  Thank Heather L
TheHomesteadMI, General Manager at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Thank you for your business.

I would like to apologize that you did not receive better service during your visit. This service was not up to your standards, and it certainly is not up to mine. I expect more out of my staff, and I will be following up on your comments with my staff today. Specifically, with the front desk and our interior maintenance staff.

I thank you again for your business, and it is my sincere hope that my staff and I will be able to better serve you on a future visit.

There are newer reviews for The Homestead

Reviewed October 18, 2012

What a wonderful place. The staff is absolutely lovely and accommodating and the grounds are really beautiful. We could not have asked for a more relaxing, easy stay. Several dining options on-site as well as a grocery to stock your kitchen. Nonna's restaurant has an unbeatable menu, even compared to some of the big-city options. Only two small improvements could have helped, longer operating hours for the restaurants (although I do understand that October is not peak season) and slightly better sound-proofing. Noisy neighbors can't be helped though!
This is a perfect place to just get away and the town nearby is adorable.

Room Tip: Poke through the pictures on the booking site. They'll help give you an idea of what you're...

Thanks!

We are thrilled to hear that your stay was relaxing and enjoyable. We are adjusting our operating schedule to better accommodate guests during the shoulder seasons. We look forward to serving your and your family on your next visit.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

The grounds and layout of The Homestead are beautiful, but the rooms don't hit the bar that a hotel of this caliber should hit. The bathrooms have no counter space and the shower, although large is cheaply made. The overall design of the bathroom is poor. As well, the bed linens and towels were worn and rough and the pillows were hard and awful. The fireplace in the living area is a nice touch and the kitchenette is convenient. We ate at the breakfast buffet and the food was COLD -- not a good bargain at $9.75 per person.

Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank Kim H
TheHomesteadMI, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

First of all, I would like to thank you for coming to see us. We appreciate your business.

Secondly, I would like to thank you for this review. We are in the process of making some during the slower period of the year, and I want you to know that we are using your comments to help make those changes. We thank you again, and we hope that we will have the opportunity to serve you and your family in the near future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed for one night and got a $99.00 special on a Tuesday and were in the Fiddlers Pond Guest room. Medium sized room-everything clean and new. We could hear the people walking above us....we could hear the neighbors on both sides talking and coughing in their rooms. This is such a beautiful place and were surprised the walls were so thin?????????

2  Thank PattiLouSoHa

Thank you for coming to see us, and for this great review.

We thank you for your business, and we look forward to serving you and your family on your next visit!

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We stayed here to be close to Sleeping Bear Dunes. Seems like a big fancy resort property, especially when you drive up. . We stayed in a Fiddler's Pond room which was clean and comfortable. Had a refrigerator but could have used a microwave as there was only one restaurant open when we were there. Most of the complex seemed to be closed or with limited hours this time of the year. The resort had lots of different types of rooms and facilities spread out on a large property, including some lake front units. If you bike around note that it is hilly, especially taking a trip down to the lake and back. If I were to go again, I'd take a closer look at the package deals they offer rather than just getting a room.

Room Tip: Check out the package deals and compare them to just getting a room.
1  Thank Mike W

Thank you for your visiting our property, and for this great review.

We are working hard to make our property better, and as a part of that we will be adjusting our operating schedule to better accommodate our guests during shoulder seasons. We thank you for your review, and we look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

That 90% of the shops and restaurants within the resort close after Labor Day. I am not a golfer and if I played tennis, I don't believe courts open either. You could not even walk out to the famous Beach Club on the beach! It was all locked up. I am sure my rate was not discounted to reflect the lack of amenities advertised on their website! False advertising.

I asked for a ground floor room - what I got was a unit 1/2 to 3/4ths of a story BELOW ground level - same problems as if I had been on second floor! The frosting on the cake came about when there was not enough parking spaces for my building - there were guests of resort guest which filled the slots. I complained to registration desk and they sent someone out from the kitchen but all he said was park in the next building's space -- which meant a further distance to lug my stuff. No one at the units to help with luggage, so I had to drag my luggage IN THE DARK (could not see where I was putting my feet) as the lights on the trees that light the parking lot were not on (perhaps these were all turned off after Labor Day also). Just very disappointed in that I had paid for a "resort" experience, not just a motel room!

Room Tip: If you have any mobility issues at all, skip this resort completely. Every building I saw had lots...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank ccwww591

Thank you for your review and for coming to visit, we appreciate your business.

We are in the process of reviewing our operating schedule, as we realize that it is too limited during the slower times of the year. However, we do discount our rates substantially during shoulder seasons to reflect this change in amenities.

We sincerely hope that you will return, and that we may better serve you on your next visit.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I just stayed 2 nights for our anniversary. Bree checked us in and was awesome (I work in a hotel so I can confidently say she knows good service). Very welcoming check in process and detailed about the resort. We stayed in Little Belle in a lower level room. Room was adequate, however I would not say overly impressive. I think if they moved the fireplace into the bedroom instead of a TV and upgraded their bedding to a higher end product, it would be a little more romantic. The shower/bathroom was also very very small. We could also hear the people upstairs so, that was kind of a bummer. Overall the grounds are very very nice and I could totally see being there in the height of summer or snow season for skiing (September is kind of an "off season). We ate breakfast at CQ's, which was good, however they were telling us that they just started making made to order eggs and discontinued the pre-made scrambled eggs. Totally fine when we got there and got what we wanted, however about 10 minutes later there were about 15 people in line for their made to order eggs. We liked the little "grocery" store and all the dining was really convenient to our room. I would recommend staying here, as we truly did have a good time and the staff that we did encounter were very friendly and professional. The area itself was just awesome! Lots of outdoor activities (we hiked and kayaked), there is some shopping and dining in town and the beaches were just beautiful....made me think, this is Michigan??!!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for coming to see us!

We are thrilled that you came to visit us and enjoy our property. We hope that you will return to experience this area and our resort in Summer, Spring and Winter as well!

My staff and I look forward to serving you on your next visit.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Glen Arbor
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Traverse City
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
M-22 Inn Glen Arbor
#2 of 3 in Glen Arbor

Been to The Homestead? Share your experiences!