All reviewsfiddler's pondlittle bellelake michiganbeach clubbeautiful resortsleeping bear dunesstony brook lodgecrystal riveroff seasonski lifthawks nestshuttle servicegreat lakesthe entire resortgeneral storedestination weddinghousekeeping staff
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This year, instead of fighting with the crowds on Black Friday, I opted for a day of R&R at the Amira Spa at The Homestead in Glen Arbor. I think I've found a new holiday tradition! The views from atop the bluff are unparalleled...with North and South Manitou off in the distance. The intimate spa offers two treatment rooms, as well as restroom and locker room facilities. My first treatment was a bamboo massage. A relativley new treatment, it involves using a variety of smooth hot bamboo rods to massage the body, getting into all the nooks and crannies that the hands can't reach - and with heat. The 90 minute treatment nearly put me to sleep it was so relaxing, and my massage therapist said that is the highest compliment one can pay. After that, I had a 60 minute facial (which also included neck, shoulder, arm and foot massages). I am lucky to have young-looking skin for my age, but I think that they melted off another 5-10 years in there. I can't imagine a better way to spend an afternoon...certainly beats the chaos at the mall!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank ProMich
Reviewed November 5, 2011

After reading some of the negative reviews (mostly related to the condition of some of the owner-operated condos) we decided to stay at one of the hotel properties operated by Homestead management. It was a great choice! There are 4 and we stayed in the Stony Brook. It was perfect! Modern, clean and spacious. Large living area had a gas stove for heat and atmosphere; big windows and deck with a view of Lake Michigan (at some distance, but still great); kitchenette with large fridge, electric stove, microwave, sink; TV with satellite and DVD. Bathroom had a steam shower which we really enjoyed! Big, separate bedroom with king bed and TV.

This is also a legitimate "full service" resort. Very good health club which I used (lots of weight machines, free weights, cardio equipment), restaurants, convenience store, shops, pools, golf, even skiing in the winter.

If you are considering staying here, check out "The Inn" building. It is right on the lake and would have great views and easy access to the beach.

This is THE place to stay when visiting Sleeping Bear Dunes. Also close to Glen Arbor's restaurants and bars.

We also went kayaking on the Crystal River (outfitter in Glen Arbor right on the main street.) Very easy float, and the salmon were running. Thousands of them! Very cool.

Room Tip: Stay in one of the 4 hotel properties.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Joe_Drutz
Reviewed October 31, 2011

The issues we experienced were: 1) We were disappointed that there was not wireless internet throughout the resort. 2) We also found it very difficult to get to the beach with a small child while on the resort grounds. It was necessary to park in a parking lot far from the beach and take the provided transportation. 3) We asked at the front desk where there is biking trails in the area(ie. Rails to Trails) and they could not provide us the information. We did find out from another source(not at the resort) there is Rails to Trails in Beulah and Frankfort. 4) We asked for a late checkout(checkout is 11am), it would have been at noon, and the request was denied. I highly doubt it takes 5 hours to clean a room, as check-in is at 4pm. 5) We had the breakfast buffet included in our package. We were dissapointed to see that the breakfast was the same everyday and on our final morning, my husband poured sour milk for his cereal!

On a positive note, the room and the grounds were very clean. The staff was very friendly.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank renee204
Reviewed October 25, 2011

We stayed during the great wind storm of Oct 2010. The resort was virtually empty and we stayed at the Stoney Brook lodge. The rooms were spacious and very nice. THe large hot tub was awesome. Cleanliness and other building conditions were great. We were there off season for both summer and winter crowds, so many things were closed. To compound things, the power was out for that side of the state due to the immense wind storms going through the area. However, we never lost power. We did have to go to Traverse City for eats, though, since only one place in town had a generator and the proprietor was very rude. We got the impression that only locals were welcome int the establishment, so we drove. Make sure to visit Cherry Republic when staying here. ALso be sure to get to the lakeshore within the resort, as its fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Birchymm
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We stayed at "The Homestead" in the Hawke's Nest condos in Oct. 2011. The whole resort is very nice although we did not take advantage of most of it. The stores on the property had limited hours. Overall, I would stay again.

They have a par-3 course and very small ski hills (cute) and an outdoor pool. They have all sorts of accommodations (single rooms to full condos). Some people live in condos on the property year-round. They have walking trails on the property as well.

This resort is in Glen Arbor, MI which is next to Sleeping Bear Dunes Park (voted America's Most Beautiful Place in 2011). Nearby Traverse City, MI is worth a day or two as well.

Pros: Full featured property, golf/ski, location, quiet, full-condo w/all the comforts of home, helpful staff, some have views of Lake Michigan

Cons: Stores on property have limited hours, price (very expensive for the area)

Room Tip: Save up your money and get a condo.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family