“Tranquil and trendy!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
UK
“Tranquil and trendy!”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Easily found location - we were warmly welcomed to the hotel and spa. The decor is relaxingly modern with trendy mirrors and specially designed pieces. The food was fab, particularly the Parmesan popcorn! Staff all worked as a tea and were cheerful and informative. We especially loved the gardening and little touches - fresh milk in the spacious room and small rounded pats of individually packed butter.
The spa overlooked a pond with oystercatchers + a fine view across the hills. The facilities are "high-end" (several wet/dry saunas + small pool with bubbly jets and twinkly lights). Thoroughly recommended; a delightful hotel and stay.

Room Tip: The room we stayed in was across from the main hotel in a newly built block. Lovely bedding and very...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank japonica60

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lancs,England
Reviewed March 19, 2014

First of all I would like to say that my review is based solely on a half day pamper package at the hotel spa and I cannot comment on the actual hotel. That being said it is in a lovely setting with countryside views, a sweeping driveway and the reception area and gardens are beautiful.

I visited the spa with my mum having purchased gift vouchers at Xmas for the "perfect pamper package". We have previously visited Ribby Hall Spa and decided to have a change.

Good points:
1. The spa facilities are extremely good and clean on the whole.
2. Like the idea of flip flops instead of cloth slippers.
3. Like the individual changing rooms with dressing areas and showers.
4. Loved the massage that came as part of the package.
5. Loved the views from the spa area itself.
6. Loved that there were lots of towels available in the spa
7. Loved the sensation showers.
8.Loved the automatic drinking fountain
9 Loved the drinks and snacks provided in the spa lounge.
10. Duck salad and rhubarb fool were lovely.

Not so good things:
1.We did not receive the glass of prosecco on arrival as promised which was a bit disappointing.
2. No handrail on steps leading into hydrotherapy pool.
3. Slippery floor in shower area of changing room - had to leave flip flops on for safety.
4. Disliked having to eat lunch on our knees in the spa lounge, only low coffee tables provided.Would have preferred to sit at a proper table and be able to have a glass of wine with lunch.Explains why we had to order in advance and only cold choices were available.
5. Had to pull dressing table away from wall in order to plug hairdryer in which was a nuisance, lower tables or higher sockets would solve this problem.
6. Plate of smoked salmon was underwhelming, as was dish of poached apricots(which mum reckons came out of a tin!).
7. Mum had manicure and nearly fell on floor when she moved the chair, it was on castors so had moved further than she really wanted it to! Therapist had to catch her!
8. No outdoor spa facilities, e.g. Jacuzzi/sauna.

Overall I would probably give 7 out of 10 for this experience. Whilst the facilities themselves were excellent there were a few things that could have been done better.

Think we will be going back to Ribby Hall next time, sorry Stanley House!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank firks
Toulouse, France
Reviewed March 19, 2014

Tick, tick, tick. Having quickly worked through my Mrs Picky Hotel Guest checklist, with the General Stuff getting a resounding thumbs-up with knobs on (quiet, clean, large bedroom with slippy smooth bedlinen, timely and smiley service, free WiFi and welcoming Spaces), I was then drawn to noticing the Details.

Not having booked the hotel for its spa, this was a massive bonus. This is where I started to pick up on the attention to detail. Artworks abounding (an oil painting in the cubicle of the ladies toilet, for one), wildfowl looking in at me in my pool, from theirs, native-primrose-coloured primulas in the beautifully tended garden, a floor-to-ceiling window in the Finnish sauna giving out over a view of deepest, greenest Lancashire, and so on.

It feels like there has been absolutely no scrimping in creating this lovely hotel - the opposite in fact. I have to admit to a Tomintoul flashback (Gordon Arms Hotel 1994?).

A proper Italian style cappuccino at breakfast time, and some artisan baked bread would have just topped it off. Maybe next time?

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Millox
Northumberland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

This small but beautiful hotel is luxury in a lovely setting. The staff are very helpful and the service first rate. The bedrooms in the woodland building are large comfortable and modern( if l had a grumble the lighting is not
great for we lady's). The food is of a very high standard and beautifully presented. The old manor house is exceptional and the rooms outstanding!,,,,,.well worth a visit and will certainly go back. Thank you to all the staff .
The spa is small but exceptional. I used the hydrotherapy pool which was fantastic. I had two treatments and they were superb . Again thank you to the staff in the Spa. It might be a small spa but it is well worth the visit.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 18, 2014 via mobile

From driving upto the hotel I knew I was going to enjoy my stay, the woodland rooms were lovely with fab views and just a corridor walk in our robes to the spa,the spa was lovely and the time slots as to not overcrowd in the thermal suite is a great idea ( we ended up with it all to ourselves for 45mins!)having dinner included we thought we'd have a separate menu but no, we could have anything including steak for main meal,and all extra sides no problem! When we asked for anything it was brought Straight away. All in all I would definitely go back again and have recommended to family and friends

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shellmw84
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here for a spa break night in March for my birthday, it was a mixed bag.
The spa itself is wonderful and I had a facial and a pedicure that were both amazing. The staff were lovely and my partner thoroughly enjoyed using the heat experience. No hard sell to buy the products (which are amazing) which makes a refreshing change.
We ate in Mr Freds, both my partner and I ordered Ribeye steak, I ordered mine medium cooked and when it arrived it was pretty much blue. Usually I wouldn't bother complaining however as I am currently pregnant I quietly asked the waiter if they could cook it some more so they took my food away and kindly said they would cook from fresh. Therefore there was a 20 minute gap in me and my partner eating our main course, I thought they perhaps may have offered me a complimentary lemonade whilst I was waiting after my partner had finished as a gesture for my birthday meal but no one offered. The second steak was lovely and the food was great.
The main issue I had with the hotel was the temperature of the rooms in the woodland new building! Me and my partner both had a terrible nights sleep and woke up with terrible headaches and dehydrated despite opening the windows through the night to try and cool the room down and turning off all heating before bed! After such a relaxing spa day it can honestly say it undid all relaxation as it was one of the worst nights sleep for us both we can remember! And my facial was totally wasted as my skin felt so dry in the morning any good work from the day before was undone. The worst issue was that when we reported it to reception on check out a rather rude lady behind reception said well the rooms have to be heated to a temperature and then a separate system cools to a temperature, however no where in the room explains this, and since no one accompanies to your room on check in I'm not sure how you are meant to know this?! Me and my partner are in our 20s/30s and fairly adept with technology so I think it would be an idea for someone to explain a complicated heating system to guests in future?! And also a simple apology would have sufficed!
So all in all a fantastic spa with brilliant staff but left the hotel and came home to try and catch up on a terrible nights sleep!

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank alinwonderland123
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stanley House is a stunning hotel, the rooms are beautiful, and the spa treatments are extremely lovely indeed. But a few niggles...

The Woodland rooms are high spec and very modern, but unfortunately completely un-sound proofed. We could hear the TV on one side, and every word of the music being played on the other side. We phoned up and were immediately moved to the Manor (with no fuss at all), which we had completely to ourselves. The rooms there are very different, enormous with modern bathrooms, but much more traditional. Whilst I wouldn't have chosen this room type normally, it was actually pretty fun to stay in a big four-poster bed in a mansion! The walls in these rooms are solid but we could still hear the maids clunking around upstairs, much better though than the woodland rooms.

In Mr Fred's, I just found the food and ambience to be a bit bland unfortunately, but at least not overly expensive. The service was also far too rushed, with the waiter disappearing before we'd even finished ordering - for 3 courses we were in and out in an hour. They also don't serve cocktails or any remotely interesting soft drinks, a shame given what choice the local farm shops stock.

The spa is beautiful but if you were paying full whack at the weekend (~£220) I think you'd be very disappointed to find you can't use the facilities for free. There is only one chill-out room which is lacking in ambience as well - I couldn't see myself eating in there, it's just 'too' quiet. The requirement to book into the spa does make it more restful though.

Finally, the breakfast was a let-down - it always amazes me how many hotels don't prioritise this. Many items were missing at 9am, the cooked breakfast was standard B&B fare, and there was only one server who we had to ask for things several times.

The reception staff were great though and I can see this being a perfect venue for an exclusive-hire wedding. But I'm not sure I'd stay again - the Secret Escapes deal was good, but I feel there are too many niggles (definitely to warrant the full rack rate). I would definitely return to the spa however.

Room Tip: For a peaceful night, suggest a room in the Manor House on the top floor - woodland rooms are not fo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BexEee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Northcote Hotel
Best Western Plus Samlesbury Hotel
Lancaster House
Lancaster House
#1 of 7 in Lancaster

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!