“Amazing spa, hotel letting the side down!” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stanley House Hotel & Spa

and 1 more site!
Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
“Amazing spa, hotel letting the side down!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

Stayed here for a spa break night in March for my birthday, it was a mixed bag.
The spa itself is wonderful and I had a facial and a pedicure that were both amazing. The staff were lovely and my partner thoroughly enjoyed using the heat experience. No hard sell to buy the products (which are amazing) which makes a refreshing change.
We ate in Mr Freds, both my partner and I ordered Ribeye steak, I ordered mine medium cooked and when it arrived it was pretty much blue. Usually I wouldn't bother complaining however as I am currently pregnant I quietly asked the waiter if they could cook it some more so they took my food away and kindly said they would cook from fresh. Therefore there was a 20 minute gap in me and my partner eating our main course, I thought they perhaps may have offered me a complimentary lemonade whilst I was waiting after my partner had finished as a gesture for my birthday meal but no one offered. The second steak was lovely and the food was great.
The main issue I had with the hotel was the temperature of the rooms in the woodland new building! Me and my partner both had a terrible nights sleep and woke up with terrible headaches and dehydrated despite opening the windows through the night to try and cool the room down and turning off all heating before bed! After such a relaxing spa day it can honestly say it undid all relaxation as it was one of the worst nights sleep for us both we can remember! And my facial was totally wasted as my skin felt so dry in the morning any good work from the day before was undone. The worst issue was that when we reported it to reception on check out a rather rude lady behind reception said well the rooms have to be heated to a temperature and then a separate system cools to a temperature, however no where in the room explains this, and since no one accompanies to your room on check in I'm not sure how you are meant to know this?! Me and my partner are in our 20s/30s and fairly adept with technology so I think it would be an idea for someone to explain a complicated heating system to guests in future?! And also a simple apology would have sufficed!
So all in all a fantastic spa with brilliant staff but left the hotel and came home to try and catch up on a terrible nights sleep!

• Stayed March 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank alinwonderland123

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Cheshire, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stanley House is a stunning hotel, the rooms are beautiful, and the spa treatments are extremely lovely indeed. But a few niggles...

The Woodland rooms are high spec and very modern, but unfortunately completely un-sound proofed. We could hear the TV on one side, and every word of the music being played on the other side. We phoned up and were immediately moved to the Manor (with no fuss at all), which we had completely to ourselves. The rooms there are very different, enormous with modern bathrooms, but much more traditional. Whilst I wouldn't have chosen this room type normally, it was actually pretty fun to stay in a big four-poster bed in a mansion! The walls in these rooms are solid but we could still hear the maids clunking around upstairs, much better though than the woodland rooms.

In Mr Fred's, I just found the food and ambience to be a bit bland unfortunately, but at least not overly expensive. The service was also far too rushed, with the waiter disappearing before we'd even finished ordering - for 3 courses we were in and out in an hour. They also don't serve cocktails or any remotely interesting soft drinks, a shame given what choice the local farm shops stock.

The spa is beautiful but if you were paying full whack at the weekend (~£220) I think you'd be very disappointed to find you can't use the facilities for free. There is only one chill-out room which is lacking in ambience as well - I couldn't see myself eating in there, it's just 'too' quiet. The requirement to book into the spa does make it more restful though.

Finally, the breakfast was a let-down - it always amazes me how many hotels don't prioritise this. Many items were missing at 9am, the cooked breakfast was standard B&B fare, and there was only one server who we had to ask for things several times.

The reception staff were great though and I can see this being a perfect venue for an exclusive-hire wedding. But I'm not sure I'd stay again - the Secret Escapes deal was good, but I feel there are too many niggles (definitely to warrant the full rack rate). I would definitely return to the spa however.

Room Tip: For a peaceful night, suggest a room in the Manor House on the top floor - woodland rooms are not fo...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank BexEee
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

We spend Saturday and Sunday in this fantastic complex. We had relaxing treatments in the spa, a luxurious lunch (I have never tasted nicer scones, sandwiches and cakes) plenty of cava and a beautiful presented and delicious dinner in the Grill on the Hill. Our bedrooms were clean and very comfortable and breakfast was excellent.
However, for me, the most important aspect that will make me come back and that has made me write this review is the staff, They were incredible. nothing was too much trouble, they accommodate all of us and they look after us very well. They all had a smile at all times. They were efficient, helpful and patient. I am referring to all staff from management to reception from security to waiters. You made the week end a sucess. Thanks to all Stanley house.
Victoria Chapman

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2014

So, I booked this through secret escapes as an overnight stay for my boyfriends 24th birthday. Before booking I rang to check a few things and found the lady lovely and very helpful. A great start as this can be very off putting and me being very stubborn wouldn't book! As soon as we arrived the staff were lovely and very attentive. And then the room.. The woodland rooms new from 2012... WOW!!! Spacious, modern, clean it was just perfect. The bathroom was so big and pristine. Basically, over the moon. Dinner was included and staff were second to none,hard to find these days. Excellent dinner treated wonderfully and the spa... Amazing too! Rosie, a new girl did everything possible to make us comfortable during our spa experience and was perfect for the role. No overcrowding either. All in all one of the best stays I have had, and I'm very picky as I'm in customer service!! Thanks to all the staff would stay here and recommend to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
Bromborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

After driving through the entrance and following the long road through the estate to this hotel, you arrive in a well lit and spacious car park. We were a party of 8 for a business dinner and received a very warm welcome on arrival. The entrance has quirky bowler hat sculptures on a reception table and then you step into the bar/restaurant 'Grill on the Hill'. The décor is tasteful and our round table was ready. We were shown to our seats which were all swivel chairs facing sideways so we could easily sit and turn towards the table. (this I have never seen in a restaurant before)!! The menu was excellent, and members of our group had special dietary requirements including gluten free options. This did not present a problem and there were several choices adaptable to suit. All courses were delicious! Nothing was too much trouble and the service was efficient and professional. The Hotel also boasts a Spa, but as we were on a business meeting, there was no time to explore the facilities. Based on the meal experience, I would definitely recommend this. I would like to return to sample the Spa and stay overnight as I am sure I won't be disappointed!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
merseyside
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived to the moment we checked out we could not fault this wonderful hotel. Our woodland room was gorgeous, spacious, tastefully decorated in a contemporary style, lovely comfy beds and lots of well thought out extras. I had booked the Escape for the Night deal as a fiftieth birthday treat for my friend. I had researched many spa hotels via the internet before choosing this hotel and I could not have been happier. The spa was superb, luxurious private changing rooms, attentive friendly and professional staff. We were planning on return stay within ten minutes of our arrival. We spent two hours making full use of the thermal bathing facilities, we especially liked the steam rooms and due to the booking system, it never felt overcrowded. This was followed by a lovely facial, thank you to Chloe. We returned to our room feeling totally relaxed and chilled out and to share our equally chilled bottle of bubbly and a have a girly chat. In the evening we thoroughly enjoyed our three course meal at Mr Fred's. We were feeling pleasantly tired after our spa visit and so we retired to our room and to our robes to chill out again. We had a peaceful and comfy sleep. Breakfast was excellent, good produce, lots of choice and piping hot full English.
We are planning our next trip as we speak and we can't wait to return.
So well done Stanley House for living up to our high expectations and for doing what it says on the tin.

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank frank c
Lancashire England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited Stanley House and ate at The Grill on The Hill on Sunday for a friends special birthday. It was wonderful! On arrival we were greeted by friendly staff and met our party for champagne on arrival. The dining room was beautiful. The table looked gorgeous and a lot of attention to detail made it feel really special. The food was out of this world, perfect starters,the beef was to die for and the Yorkshire puddings amazing! I managed to find space for the sticky toffee pudding which was also delicious. We were then served coffee, chocolates and birthday cake. The staff could not do enough and made us all feel welcome and special. It really could not have been a better celebration.We will definitely be returning. Thank you to all at Stanley House for making the afternoon so wonderful.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Northcote Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
Stirk House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
The BEST WESTERN PLUS Samlesbury Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!