“Perfection!”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed January 22, 2014

From the moment we arrived in time for cream tea to the minute we reluctantly left the relaxation suite in the spa, our visit to Stanley house was perfect. We stayed for one night on the "Escape for the night" package and, given the quality of our stay, we feel this was good value for an indulgent treat. The woodlands room that we stayed in was stylishly decorated with attention to every detail from the gorgeous "the white company" products in the giant bathroom to the hidden fridge in the modern, funky desk. The only criticism concerning the room is that the desk was set up in a very businesslike fashion rather than as a dresser. Consequently, there was no mirror available for make up application or to assist hair drying. I suggest that a mirror could be kept in the drawer alongside the hair dryer for use by other guests. But that's really not much to worry about in a room which made our mouths drop open in amazement :-)

We booked in for a twilight visit to the thermal spa from 6-8pm and got it all to ourselves for the last hour. To say it was bliss was an understatement. The staff were all very friendly, professional and attentive and the private changing rooms took the experience to an extra level of wow! It felt very exclusive and a cut above other spas and hotels that I have visited. The massages the next day were wonderful also. The treatment room was breathtaking with its floor to ceiling window, and the heated leather massage table was fantastic. The massage itself was most energising and the therapist worked hard to ensure the level of intensity that personally suited each of us best. We weren't able to book our treatments at the same time so instead enjoyed lounging in the relaxation room while the other person had their treatment. It was a very tranquil and relaxing room with luxury teas, flavoured waters and healthy snacks on hand.

After finishing our thermal spa we headed over to Mr Fred's for our dinner. A 3 course meal was included in our package and we were very pleased to find out that we could pick anything we wanted from the whole menu. As we weren't eating until 20:45 we had called from our room to preorder our food prior to going to the spa- This ensured the prompt arrival of our meal soon after our arrival. My husband had ordered the smoked salmon starter and it was a very impressive portion size, and delicious too. We both had sirloin steaks for our mains and they were some of the most (if not *the* most) delicious steaks that we'd ever had. And then came desserts- wow!! They were scrummy. My banoffee pie with chocolate sorbet was to die for and my husband's warm Eccles cake with Lancashire cheese ice cream was an unusual combination that resulted in a real treat for the palette. We're fairly local and will definitely be returning to Mr Fred's for a special occasion.

Our night in the woodlands room was as comfortable as we thought it might be- though the blackout blinds were so wonderfully dark that we didn't realise it was morning already so nearly overslept for breakfast! Thankfully we didn't oversleep as breakfast was another delight. One of the best English breakfasts that we've been privileged enough to eat. The continental breakfast was delicious too and the chilled marble countertops were a luxurious touch. The pastries were of a very high quality and the staff kept the selection well stocked, even though we were down just before they stopped serving breakfasts.

The only other important thing which I'd like to add is that I found the hotel to be breast feeding friendly. When I first arrived I had my baby with me and she stayed for the cream tea. I found the chairs in Mr Fred's lounge very comfortable for feeding in and was able to feed with discretion without feeling uncomfortable or out of place. As my baby did not spend the night with us I had to express milk which I was able to keep in our room fridge. As we checked out at 11am but then headed to the spa, I had to ask the reception staff if the milk could be kept in one of their fridges. They were most obliging and helpful and gladly looked after the milk for me until our departure a few hours later.

All in all, we wouldn't hesitate to recommend Stanley House to friends, family or anyone looking for a relaxing and indulgent destination for a break. We hope to return one day!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

What an amazing review, thank you so much for taking the time to feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is so nice to hear that you had such a great time from arrival to departure and we really do hope that we can welcome you back again very soon.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked a spa afternoon using the spa and patisseries offer- £65 per person and totally worth it. We accessed the hydro pool and surrounding areas (saunas, steam rooms etc) for 2 hours before a lovely 30min back massage. After that we shared a beautiful afternoon tea complete with prosecco. Just perfect! Couldn't ask any more from the staff there who were warm and welcoming. Will definitely be visiting again!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for your lovely review regarding your recent Spa & Patisseries afternoon package. Great to hear of another satisfied customer who has visited our amazing spa and had such a thoroughly relaxing time. Please come back again soon.

Reviewed January 15, 2014

I booked this Hotel through Secret escapes for my husband and I and two friends. We arrived a little early but were able to access our rooms as they were ready for occupancy. The rooms are contemporary and whilst I not a fan of this type of decor I can say the rooms were very attractive, clean & all up to date appliances. The bed large and comfortable. The bathroom well set out with bath & wet room. Staff are very attentive and friendly. We took lunch in Mr Fred's bistro and were pleased with our choices. The food home made and piping hot.
Later we dined in The grill on the Hill. Nice restaurant excellent service but dinner not in line with our expectations. I'm not saying it was bad as it wasn't but f I would say Mr Fred's is just as good. Breakfast next morning was fine. Worth a visit. A nice place to stay if your in the area.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for your review in relation to your recent stay with us. We really appreciate your lovely comments about our staff and our lovely bedrooms. All of your comments regarding dining in both restaurants have been forwarded to our chefs so that improvements can be made where required. We would love to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed January 9, 2014

We went to this hotel as we had been given a voucher for a Twilight spa experience and decided (in advance) to make a night of it. We apparently booked the last executive room, and later realised why- the hotel was full with a wedding party. This is a lovely place for a wedding- rural, yet handily placed for the M6. The wedding party was tucked away from the restaurant and residents' areas. Expecting some post wedding noise after midnight, we were pleasantly surprised that we were not at all disturbed. Our room was spacious, with very comfortable superking-sized bed, a sitting area next to the window and capacious bath and shower room. Toiletries were pleasant to use. The Spa was delightful, and we were pleased to note that booking was essential, so as not to feel crowded. The massage treatment was professionally done and was very relaxing.One criticism is that there were not many staff around to clear up after people had left. We also tried the gym, which has new, state of the art machines with a panoramic view. Unfortunately, yet again there hadn't been anyone around to check that there was water available.
The Grill on the Hill restaurant was very good, with warm welcome, excellent food and pleasant staff. We were puzzled by the fact that the rustically wrapped butter was made in Gloucester- surely there are more local dairies. Warm breads were delicious and the quality of the food was high. The decor was pleasing. The hotel, spa and restaurant are highly recommended for a relaxing treat.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in Woodlands- this is where the spa is and, as they provide robes and slippers, it ma...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to feedback your wonderful comments further to your recent stay with us. It is very much appreciated that you commenting on all aspects of your journey throughout your stay and for your honest review. We are very grateful for your recommendation and we hope you welcome you back 'up the hill' again soon.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

We were at Stanley House for a wedding although we couldn't stay as it was full.

I wouldn't normally go out of my way to review wedding venues, but I thought the food was excellent, far better than most! Main course was a small joint of slow cooked beef which was really tender, and the gravy was full of flavour - even the carrots still had some bite in them, not the sort of thing you're used to when places like this do mass catering and give it a bad name.

Soup for starter was tasty too, as was the cheesecake.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

It is very much appreciated that you took the time to review your recent visit to Stanley House, thank you. It is fantastic to hear that you had a great time at the wedding and that you thoroughly enjoyed the food. Thank you once again and we do hope that we can welcome you back again.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I have used a number of spas across the world especially when we were on holiday and in terms of facilities this was the best I have been to.
The facilities were modern and the service excellent. The saunas, steam rooms and pool were amazing. The massage we had was first class so much so that I fell asleep. My only small criticism is that I thought some of the more modern art was out of keeping with the ambience. Perfect naked bodies gave me an inferiority complex!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank David C
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

It's so nice to hear that you had a wonderful time with us during your Twilight package, thank you so much for taking the time to comment. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed December 5, 2013

This is the second time I have visited this hotel, I was so impressed first time around I immediately booked for my hubby's birthday upon my return! The rooms are decorated to an extremely high standard very roomy and somewhere you don't mind spending time in (rather than just somewhere to sleep), not cramped at all with stunning views. Both times I have used the escape for the night package and the spa is just stunning. They allocate you a 2 hour time slot for spa use which is great as it means the spa is never too busy. Floor to ceiling windows provide a beautiful view of the countryside the while experience is very peaceful. A treatment is included and I have had a facial and a back neck and shoulder massage, both fantastic with lovely, knowledgable, friendly staff. The food at Mr Freds has always been delicious and there are no restrictions on menu choice which is amazing value for money. Breakfast choice is fantastic, something for everyone. I can't recommend this package and this venue highly enough.

• Stayed: November 2013

Thank you so much for your amazing review and it's so nice to hear that you love the Escape for the Night package so much that you have already been twice! Your comments are much appreciated and it's great to hear that we are doing everything to your satisfaction. Come back soon.....

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Millstone at Mellor
Thurnham Hall
Thurnham Hall
#1 of 1 in Thurnham
Preston Marriott Hotel

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!