“Outstanding food and service”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed November 11, 2012 via mobile

Myself and 3 friends have just had the most wonderfull Sunday lunch at The Grill On The Hill,the quality of the food was outstanding,the presentation was second to none,the friendliness and professionalism of the waiting staff just added to our thorough enjoyment,each time we visit we are never ever disappointed,a big thank you to all the staff who made our visit a fantastic experience,we are already looking forward to December,

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank gazboy__
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2012

Sunday Lunch is one of our specialities in the Grill on the Hill restaurant, great to know that you continue to enjoy the experience.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Clean, friendly staff, great spa, lovely food. Enjoyed a lovely few days here. Would recommend for families or couples. Surprised how reasonably priced our weekend was. Stayed here a couple of times now and would definitely stay again. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank CJB56

What a 'fantastic' review, thank you. It's lovely to know that you are enjoying all the additions that we've made to Stanley House including the fabulous spa.
Please come back again soon.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

I dined with you recently and whilst I was impressed with the food I must say that the standard of service was exceptional especially from a young team. I expressed my gratitude on the evening in the form of a tip but was dismayed to be told that the members of staff would not receive ANY of my contribution as a share in any tips given by guests was NOT allowed until they had given 6 months of service to the hotel. I was aghast as I felt that my personal choice to reward particularly good service was taken away from me.....the decision about who to recognise was no longer mine but your management at the hotel. Whilst I applaud the fact that everyone in the hotel receives a share in the overall tips (its great for morale and fairness) I am horrified that this 'tips' policy which clearly undermines this ethos is practised.....how can you possibly retain staff, boost their morale and make them feel part of a team when they are excluded from being appreciated in this way? The member of staff I CHOSE to tip was there that evening and DID WORK TO MAKE MY EVENING ENJOYABLE........why on earth would that contribution not be recognised? Apart from this there is the obvious financial impact on low-paid members of your team who possibly RELY on their tips to boost their wages to a reasonable level.

Being an independent hotel and not a chain I hope that Management can realise and VALUE the importance of excellence in human resource, the use of INCENTIVES such as in tips in maintaining standards and retaining staff as well exceptional dining.

In summary I did have a really enjoyable evening but this has niggled me and I left the restaurant feeling quite cross. With regret I'm not sure I could continue to support a company (even a local one) whose approach to its staff is so questionable.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Elaine H

We appreciate your comments about our hotel policies and we will look at ways that we can improve our procedures as we do appreciate what a fantastic service our staff members provide and want to reward them accordingly.
It's very nice to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed dining in Mr Fred's and I do hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Visited Stanley house on Saturday and ate in Mr Fred's for the first time .All 6 of us enjoyed our meals and they were all presented beautifully ! Food was reasonably priced although we all thought drinks were over priced! The only downfall was the restaurant felt like there was something missing .... Atmosphere !!! No back ground music and because it was quiet you felt like you had to wisper when we first arrived! That didn't last long once the wine was flowing though ;-) overall it was a pleasant night lovely surroundings, good food and polite staff :-) !

• Stayed: October 2012

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent dining experience in Mr Fred's. Thank you for your constructive comments, I will ensure that the restaurant manager is aware of your feedback and will look to improve this area.

Reviewed October 28, 2012

We ate in the Grill on the Hill for my mum's birthday on Saturday evening. The restaurant is not huge but just the right size for a lovely meal without being too crowded. We had a table for 4 near the window one the centre on the restaurant, we all loved the swivel chairs which made it much easier to move away from the table.

The were all agreeable that the food and service was just exquisite. Probably one of the best meals we've had. We all had starters, mains and desserts and it came to just over £125.00. I felt this was excellent value for money for the quality of which was served.

My boyfriend and I have booked for Christmas Day lunch and if last nights meal is anything to go by we're in for a real treat on Christmas Day.

Thank you and well done everyone who served us.

Stayed: October 2012

What fantastic comments, thank you for taking the time to do so. We are very proud of our award-winning Grill on the Hill restaurant and it's great to hear that you had a wonderful evening.

We look forward to welcoming you back on Christmas Day!

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Evening meal with friends.Lovely atmosphere.Could actually talk without having to shout over the background music.Beautiful setting and gardens.We used a discount voucher and it was dealt with discretely. Staff very attentive and not intrusive. Food gorgeous.Crab starters tiger prawn main lovely. The steaks were very good I was told.Lovely cheese platter for sharing.Really enjoyed the evening. The only gripe were the rather foul mouthed wedding party at the foyer but I suppose you get that anywhere these days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank lexy_8

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments. It's great to hear that you enjoyed the food and service at our Grill on the Hill restaurant.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

Just had a wonderful stay at Stanley House. We were guests at a friends wedding and were very impressed with all the arrangements. Our room was in the new block and was very clean spacious, comfortable and very modern. The wedding breakfast was excellent well cooked food and the service superb. We must make a special mention of Heather who was extremely helpful before and during our stay. The grounds are extremely well cared for and we enjoyed the lovely view from our room,

Room Tip: Stay in the new block for wonderful views and a quiet location