“The Grill on the Hill does not come up to the standard of Cassis for the same money....”

Stanley House Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mellor
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have eaten at this restaurant's previous incarnation on several occasions but were slightly disappointed with he Grill on the Hill. The steaks were fine and the starters all presented nicely but the white wine at 34 pounds a bottle was poured out in one go between us which was not really right. This is a lovely restaurant in a stunning setting but the service and food should be better for the prices they are charging. Blackburn has very few top class eating venues and really the Stanley House should be aspiring to be one of the best.

Stayed: August 2012
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

We appreciate you taking the time to submit a review of Stanley House Hotel. Thank you for your comments which have been brought to the attention of the restaurant manager and will be actioned accordingly.

Reviewed August 11, 2012

We have been enjoying a week off work and looked on tripadvisor to find a place that was within an hour's drive by motorbike for a nice lunch. This place seemed to come highly recommended, so we gave it a go.....and WOW! When we drove up to the gates at the bottom of the hill on our motorbike, my husband jokingly said "gosh, do you think they will let us in?"....it certainly is imposing and has a wow factor. Once up the hill, we were confronted by a lovely mixture of old and tasteful new buildings. We ate in Mr Freds, where we were welcomed warmly. The menu seemed fairly priced for a stylish place to have lunch. The gardens had obviously had a lot of time and money spent on them and the ambience, both inside and outside (where we ended up as the weather threatened to be inclement) was wonderful. The quality of the food was high and both taste and presentation were excellent. My husband said that the burger (I think it was the Mr Fred's Burger) was the best burger he had ever had in his life (and he is 50 and has eaten a lot of burgers!) We will certainly be back. Bravo!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

What great comments, thank you so much! We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We ate in Mr Fred's - a new extension to the building since our last visit. A lovely patio area to sit and have a drink on a summer evening. The service was professional and the food excellent. Beautifully cooked steak, the best I have had for some time. The only criticism I would have is that they started setting up for breakfast at 8.30 pm - I think for a good restaurant they should wait until dinner guests have left. Overall very good and will visit again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

So happy to hear that you had a great evening in Mr Fred's and enjoyed one of our fantastic steaks. We appreciate your comments with regards to the breakfast set-up and will ensure that this is actioned with the restaurant team.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

We were looking for someone for a nice one night stay not too far from Manchester on a Saturday night and I found Stanley House through trip adviser. I emailed the hotel and they emailed back quickly with an offer of chilled and grilled package which included an executive room, a bottle of champagne on arrival and £40 each to spend in the Grill on the Hill restaurant. We were offered a choice of rooms in either the manor house or the new woodlands suite and for an extra £20 we choose the Woodlands suite as it had only just opened.

On arrival at the hotel there was plenty of parking and the lady on reception was extremely helpful and friendly. The woodlands suite does look and small brand new and is just across the court yard form the main building where the restaurant is. Our room was big with views out over the grounds with a king-size bed and a sofa. The bathroom was lovely with separate monsoon open shower and bath, the mood lighting was great a feature. I just felt that the room was nice, clean and comfy but lacked any features or soul, it just felt like any other room in any other hotel and I was bit disappointed. Some of the photos on the website show lovely rooms with roll top baths etc. and I just felt any sort of character or special feature was missing. The room did have Sky TV, a hair dryer, iron and ironing board and a small fridge which had in fresh milk to go with the tea and coffee, all which were useful.
There was a wedding or maybe two on in the hotel that night and we were worried about noise from people coming back to their rooms later on but we didn’t hear any which was good.

We had a meal booked in the Grill on the Hill and enjoyed a pre-dinner drink in their lounge which is a loft conversion which had nice views. The lady who looked after us (with short blond hair) was lovely and very helpful. She was extremely informative about the menu when I asked her about some of the meals and her recommendations were very useful.
The dining room was lovely and very comfortable with the tables not too close together; it had a nice atmosphere and looked lovely. The food was fantastic and even having some of the more expensive meals didn’t exceed our £40 a head spend that was included in the package. I would highly recommend the restaurant, the food and service were excellent.

The main let down I found about the hotel was breakfast. This was served in the brassiere which had lovely views of the courtyard. I am not sure if it was because they had two big wedding parties having breakfast together but breakfast was a real disappointment. Rather than being served pots of tea and coffee at the table we had to help ourselves just to a cup of ready brewed tea and coffee, there was no choice of tea and the pot of tea was over brewed and not particularly warm. There wasn’t much choice on the cold buffet and the breakfast juices weren’t refilled and there wasn’t enough for a second glass. I was surprised to find there was only a choice of a cooked breakfast as the cooked option, for a boutique type hotel I would have hoped to have some lighter choices like scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast.
All in all we had a lovely stay and would go back again. I do think the breakfast could be improved a lot to make it nicer, more in keeping 4 star experience and I would maybe try a room in the manor house to see if these have a nicer feel. The hotel is about to open a spa with a small Jacuzzi and sauna with great views across the land which I think will be a great addition. The food was great in the Grill on the Hill so that alone would tempt me back.

Room Tip: The new rooms are in the woodlands suite
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SamM2509

Thank you for detailed review about Stanley House. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us though the breakfast wasn't the best it could have been. We have just launched our new breakfast menu with additional items available to everyone, which we believe will make our breakfast a 4 star experience.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights. The hotel room was of a high standard, within the old manor house on the ground floor. A large room, lavishly decorated and with good quality extras. All meals were excellent and the service throughout Stanley House was faultless too, especially the waiting staff. I will definitely be back - I stayed here on a business trip but will bring my wife and son in future for a short break.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us recently and we do hope that you will return with your family in the near future to enjoy our fantastic accommodation and service. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

I visited Stanley house as a group of 4 on Saturday evening. We were welcomed and shown to an upstairs lounge by a friendly member of staff. It took a whole to be shown to our table, but we weren't too fussed by the wait as we weren't in any hurry. Once seated our starters came within no time. They were delicious, I had the fish cakes, which although contained a few bones, I wasn't faised by to finish as they were so tasty. The mains were equally as tasty and beautifully presented, as where the other members' of the group. I'd give the food a 10/10 - but.... One thing massively lacked within the resturant - which for a Saturday evening and a nassesity when it comes down to the overall experience, was the atmosphere. It was dead. I almost felt rude and loud if I spoke it was that quiet and stale. Staff were efficient and polite - yet could have cracked a smile at times. Overall an enjoyable meal - will try Mr Fred's next time though.

• Stayed: August 2012
Angela C, Front Office Manager at Stanley House Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

Thank you for your comments, so pleased that you really enjoyed the food in the Grill on the Hill. I'm sorry to say that this was a quiet evening for us in the restaurant and this didn't help with creating an atmosphere though this isn't typical. I hope that you will come back again whether it's to Grill on the Hill or Mr Fred's.

Reviewed August 1, 2012

We frequently celebrate certain family birthdays by going out for afternoon tea. This was our first visit to Stanley House and the afternoon tea they provided was a mixed experience. The hotel looks impressive (perfect for weddings!) and the light and airy Mr Freds is a very pleasant place to eat. The service, however, was poor. Despite having made a booking we were ignored when we arrived and things did not really improve when we were finally seated. The waitresses were impatient and not particularly friendly and we had difficulty getting their attention. My elderly parents thought they were rude and my teenage daughter noticed that they did not smile once. We were left with the feeling that they thought they were doing us a favour. I accept the hotel was busy but that does not excuse the service we received.
The afternoon tea itself was fine - the sandwiches were good but fairly unimaginative, the scone was average and the cake selection was impressive.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank AllyM738

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the most positive of experiences with us recently. I can assure you that this is not our usual level of service from our Mr Fred's team and I this has been addressed with the team.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Mellor
Millstone at Mellor
#1 of 1 in Gisburn
Barton Grange Hotel
Barton Grange Hotel
#5 of 15 in Preston

Been to Stanley House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!