“Perhaps An Oasis”
Review of Riverwalk Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gladwin
Riverwalk Place
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gladwin
Reviewed November 9, 2013

I gave my rating as an overall 5 but I do have a small reservation. Anyway, I'm from Michigan and I needed to pay a visit to this area due to somewhat painful personal reasons. I am familiar with Bay City and Saginaw and have been to Clare but don't really know Gladwin or Harrison. Neither of these towns seem to have much structure; my impression was stores on either side of a highway. But Riverwalk Place really stood. Before I arrived I noticed my reservation was for one night but I needed two. When I arrived I was told they had upgraded my reservation to a suite.

Riverwalk Place was intended to be condos but that fell through because of the economy so it was decided to turn the place into a sort of hotel. On the ground floor are two shops selling clothing and other articles along with a restaurant which I am told is about the best in the area. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to eat there and was disappointed in that. The back of the hotel faces the Cedar River which isn't very wide, at least not at this point, but is very pleasant to view while dining. There is a riverwalk and I am told that in both directions the walk ends in a park. It looked like a very pretty walk.

My suite was on the third floor. There was a large living room with a large and completely stocked kitchen and two bedrooms. Both bedrooms had TV and bathrooms and there was another bathroom for the suite. There was also a laundry room with washer and dryer. But what attracted me the most was the large balcony shared with the suite next door which overlooked the Cedar River. The balcony and view really are stunning and the balcony was furnished with lounge chairs, a table and chairs for eating and playing games and other chairs placed about this very generous balcony.

My one small reservation was that in the bedroom overlooking the Cedar River there was not curtain and shade covering the window. There obviously was a shade at one time because there was a cord still attached to a pulley. Once the shade is replaced the suite will be perfect.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

johndt41 - We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope you can dine with us on your next trip. Thanks for the heads up regarding the blind - we will get that taken care of immediately.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been to many spa resorts (kind of a hobby of mine) and the Oasis Spa inside of Riverwalk was an amazing experience. From the moment I walked into the building I was treated like a queen...from check-in to check-out. The changing room and the waiting lounge were so quiet and peaceful and relaxing and that was before I got my massage from the most amazing massage therapist...Carol. She is definitely an asset to the business. She has a very quiet and relaxing voice...thank you Carol for the best massage I have ever experienced. I asked the receptionist if I could view some of the rooms for future use and they are beautiful...all of the amenities one could ever ask for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Michele - We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your spa/resort experience with us at Riverwalk Place. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we greatly appreciate it!

Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was me and my wife's first time to Riverwalk Place for our 7th anniversary. It was wonderful. The service was excellent, the couple's massage we received was perfect, the food and service at the hotel's restaurant was superb, and our room was clean and comfortable. We are now planning on visiting the hotel on our 8th anniversary.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel have a great view. These rooms do not face the parking lot.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much for the review! We're happy we could be a part of your anniversary celebration and wish you many happy years in the future =)

Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent our anniversary here & it was out first time to stay anywhere else besides The Inn @ Bay Harbor or shanty creek resorts. We loved it & would def come back. The food at the grill was by far the best food I've ever had at a resort resteraunt & we've traveled a lot of places! The only thing I would say is to be aware of the times the resteraunt is open for breakfast & dinner throughout your stay! It's so close to downtown that we walked there to shop & watch the game at the local pubs! It also has a beautiful 1 mile trail along the river to walk or take a run on, so peaceful!! I would highly recommend the River walk resort!

• Stayed: October 2013
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

@gotogirl2001 Thanks so much for the review - we're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and wish you a happy anniversary!

Reviewed October 10, 2013

I first visited Riverwalk Place and had massages there years ago when they first opened, and enjoyed it very much. However my visit this August wasn't as good as I had remembered it. The staff were very friendly and tried hard to ensure we were at ease and relaxed, but I was very dissatisfied with the massage I received. I couldn't even feel it! I essentially paid $80 for a simple BACK RUB. I could have stayed home and paid half that amount for a better massage here in Flint!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2013

Maranda - We're so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent spa experience. Please give us a call at (989) 246-8000 if you have any further concerns as we'll be better able to address them while speaking with you. We thank you for your honesty and we will work hard to make sure we improve.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to go back to Riverwalk. We had visited in December as a Christmas present to each other. We finally got another chance to take some time to ourselves and decided to go back to Riverwalk because of our experience the first time. However...our second visit wasn't so pleasant. The first time we visited we loved the hot tub after dinner...so relaxing. This time we were not able to use the hot tub because of the large amount of scum floating in it...yuck!! We headed back to our room disappointed but thinking we could selvage the night by using the jet tub in our room but after returning to our room and looking closely at our jet tub we noticed a black dirt ring around the tub...yuck again!! We were sooo disappointed. When we told the staff about our experience in the morning we did not get a single apology. She did compensate us with a $20 gift card for our next visit because apparently that is what they charge for the hot tub. What we wanted was a relaxing experience not $20! If this had been our first visit we would not be back.

Room Tip: View of river was beautiful!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
2  Thank Beth B
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Beth - We sincerely apologize that this was your experience with us on your second visit. We strive to provide each and every guest with the best and we obviously failed in your case. If you would like to discuss this further please contact Amy at (989) 246-8000.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stopped here on the way home from a trip to Traverse City. Being our first time we didn't know what to expect but booked a few extras at their Spa, which was a first time experience also.

First I'd like to say we booked a double queen river view room and due to them selling our room we were pleasantly surprised by a suite upgrade. Lovely, lovely "condo" like room on the third floor facing the parking lot but also had a view of the river from the master bedroom and bath.

A few things noted that needed work on were the door off the balcony in the master bedroom wouldn't open...it seemed to be stuck so we didn't press it. The living room balcony/patio was huge! The main bath sink drain was extremely slow...it needed cleaned out I assume. The jacuzzi jets looked a bit brown and not so clean, so I was a bit concerned about using that. The stand up showers were great in two baths. My daughter was pleased to have her own room with TV.

One of the things I looked forward to was eating on the terrace by the river...wasn't so due to it being closed for weather reasons...too hot. The food in the Riverwalk Grille was sub par...we were the only guests in there and the food was nothing special at all. The french onion soup was a big disappointment and the sliced cheese laid on top made it look cheap. The taste was simple beef broth...no onion flavor at all...I sent it back and it was removed from my bill. I did not go into the lounge area so I cannot speak on that. I personally liked the back lit nature wall art.

There were a lot of little and BIG extras in this hotel...we will be going back. I hope to utilize the terrace and do hope they do something with their chefs and menu's soon...perhaps they would draw more customers to eat. I also want to walk along the river as I just didn't get the time due to such a short stay. There were kayaks in the river in the morning...too neat!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Sandra W
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Sandra - We loved hearing about your first time visit and plan to address each and every issue you mentioned. We hope your next visit will meet your expectations. Looking forward to hosting you again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gladwin
15 mi away
Lakeside Motel & Cottages
Days Inn of Clare
Days Inn of Clare
#2 of 4 in Clare
Super 8 West Branch
Super 8 West Branch
#1 of 3 in West Branch

Been to Riverwalk Place? Share your experiences!