“Best Spa Resort Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Riverwalk Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gladwin
Riverwalk Place
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gladwin
Stockbridge, Michigan, United States
“Best Spa Resort Ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I have been to many spa resorts (kind of a hobby of mine) and the Oasis Spa inside of Riverwalk was an amazing experience. From the moment I walked into the building I was treated like a queen...from check-in to check-out. The changing room and the waiting lounge were so quiet and peaceful and relaxing and that was before I got my massage from the most amazing massage therapist...Carol. She is definitely an asset to the business. She has a very quiet and relaxing voice...thank you Carol for the best massage I have ever experienced. I asked the receptionist if I could view some of the rooms for future use and they are beautiful...all of the amenities one could ever ask for.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Michele - We're so glad to hear you enjoyed your spa/resort experience with us at Riverwalk Place. Thank you so much for taking the time to review us, we greatly appreciate it!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Burton, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

This was me and my wife's first time to Riverwalk Place for our 7th anniversary. It was wonderful. The service was excellent, the couple's massage we received was perfect, the food and service at the hotel's restaurant was superb, and our room was clean and comfortable. We are now planning on visiting the hotel on our 8th anniversary.

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side of the hotel have a great view. These rooms do not face the parking lot.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much for the review! We're happy we could be a part of your anniversary celebration and wish you many happy years in the future =)
White Lake, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We spent our anniversary here & it was out first time to stay anywhere else besides The Inn @ Bay Harbor or shanty creek resorts. We loved it & would def come back. The food at the grill was by far the best food I've ever had at a resort resteraunt & we've traveled a lot of places! The only thing I would say is to be aware of the times the resteraunt is open for breakfast & dinner throughout your stay! It's so close to downtown that we walked there to shop & watch the game at the local pubs! It also has a beautiful 1 mile trail along the river to walk or take a run on, so peaceful!! I would highly recommend the River walk resort!

• Stayed October 2013
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
@gotogirl2001 Thanks so much for the review - we're ecstatic to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and wish you a happy anniversary!
Flint, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I first visited Riverwalk Place and had massages there years ago when they first opened, and enjoyed it very much. However my visit this August wasn't as good as I had remembered it. The staff were very friendly and tried hard to ensure we were at ease and relaxed, but I was very dissatisfied with the massage I received. I couldn't even feel it! I essentially paid $80 for a simple BACK RUB. I could have stayed home and paid half that amount for a better massage here in Flint!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Maranda - We're so sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your recent spa experience. Please give us a call at (989) 246-8000 if you have any further concerns as we'll be better able to address them while speaking with you. We thank you for your honesty and we will work hard to make sure we improve.
Midland, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2013

My husband and I were so excited to go back to Riverwalk. We had visited in December as a Christmas present to each other. We finally got another chance to take some time to ourselves and decided to go back to Riverwalk because of our experience the first time. However...our second visit wasn't so pleasant. The first time we visited we loved the hot tub after dinner...so relaxing. This time we were not able to use the hot tub because of the large amount of scum floating in it...yuck!! We headed back to our room disappointed but thinking we could selvage the night by using the jet tub in our room but after returning to our room and looking closely at our jet tub we noticed a black dirt ring around the tub...yuck again!! We were sooo disappointed. When we told the staff about our experience in the morning we did not get a single apology. She did compensate us with a $20 gift card for our next visit because apparently that is what they charge for the hot tub. What we wanted was a relaxing experience not $20! If this had been our first visit we would not be back.

Room Tip: View of river was beautiful!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank Beth B
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Beth - We sincerely apologize that this was your experience with us on your second visit. We strive to provide each and every guest with the best and we obviously failed in your case. If you would like to discuss this further please contact Amy at (989) 246-8000.
Macomb, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stopped here on the way home from a trip to Traverse City. Being our first time we didn't know what to expect but booked a few extras at their Spa, which was a first time experience also.

First I'd like to say we booked a double queen river view room and due to them selling our room we were pleasantly surprised by a suite upgrade. Lovely, lovely "condo" like room on the third floor facing the parking lot but also had a view of the river from the master bedroom and bath.

A few things noted that needed work on were the door off the balcony in the master bedroom wouldn't open...it seemed to be stuck so we didn't press it. The living room balcony/patio was huge! The main bath sink drain was extremely slow...it needed cleaned out I assume. The jacuzzi jets looked a bit brown and not so clean, so I was a bit concerned about using that. The stand up showers were great in two baths. My daughter was pleased to have her own room with TV.

One of the things I looked forward to was eating on the terrace by the river...wasn't so due to it being closed for weather reasons...too hot. The food in the Riverwalk Grille was sub par...we were the only guests in there and the food was nothing special at all. The french onion soup was a big disappointment and the sliced cheese laid on top made it look cheap. The taste was simple beef broth...no onion flavor at all...I sent it back and it was removed from my bill. I did not go into the lounge area so I cannot speak on that. I personally liked the back lit nature wall art.

There were a lot of little and BIG extras in this hotel...we will be going back. I hope to utilize the terrace and do hope they do something with their chefs and menu's soon...perhaps they would draw more customers to eat. I also want to walk along the river as I just didn't get the time due to such a short stay. There were kayaks in the river in the morning...too neat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandra W
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Sandra - We loved hearing about your first time visit and plan to address each and every issue you mentioned. We hope your next visit will meet your expectations. Looking forward to hosting you again soon!
Detroit, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for a one night get away for us ladies and Riverwalk Place fit the bill. The hotel looks brand new and quality built. After about a 2 1/2 ride from detroit we arrived at the hotel and were quickly drawn into the hotel boutiques. They merchandise is high quality with some attractive styles you don't find in the malls. This is a great plus. We found that we could not check into our room until 3 pm. It is unusual that their check in is actually from their health spa.

We had signed up for their ladies weekend special for $159 dollars a person. This includes your accommodations, 2 $10.00 off coupons for the grill restaurant, if you purchase $20.00 worth of merchandise you get $10.00 of your purchase. This is for both stores. You also get a spa treatment with a choice of 1 hour massage, pedicure or facial. You get free access to the hot tub and sauna all day. We chose to go there at 10 pm and had the place to ours selves. make sure to let the sauna heat up 15 minutes before you decide to use it.

We decided to go get something to eat first. We chose to sit outside on the terrace. It sits up high looking out on the grounds of the hotel leading down to the river.

On the grounds they have a gazebo with small water way with flowers along with a outside bar with roof. The food was absolutely fabulous. Not only was it delicious but also very affordable. A lot of the sandwiches and burgers were in the $7.99 to $9.99 range but they also had salads and entrees besides. By the time you have a soft drink and sandwich a majority of your meal is paid for with one of your $10.00 coupons. I ordered a greek turkey burger. It was the best turkey burger I ever had with feta cheese, and some olives on it with onion. Others in my group tried the fish tacos and seemed to enjoy it. We all sampled the turtle cheesecake which has a nut, caramel and chocolate topping.

I had heard one of the activities you can enjoy is kayaking, canoeing or tubing down the river. i didn't realize they came right past the hotel and end it at one corner of it. How convenient is that? I believe they drop you off and one point and then you end at the hotel grounds. There is a paved walking path that goes along the back of the hotel at least down to a campground further in town. The other direction leads you under the road to the other side where you can walk for some time. Very peaceful. I don't think the river is very deep especially by the hotel as when people stood up they weren't even knee deep. Other areas of the river are deeper. There is some kind of lawn game you can play which looks like giant badminton birdies that you toss unto a net to earn points.

We all took advantage of our coupons at the boutiques where they had some great sales making the prices even better. We decided to make our spa appointment late afternoon so we wouldn't be rushed. All of us had great relaxing massages and felt wonderful afterwards. Autumn did my massage. Mike is the only guy masseuse and two of the ladies in my group felt he did a very good massage as well. He also offered some helpful advise to my one friend that was useful. The spa waiting room was decorated with attractive layout with leather chairs and clothed chairs with animal print. They had a fake fireplace and tea and cookies for a snack. The ladies locker room had locked lockers where you could put all your personal belonging and also obtain a bath robe. They also had two showers for spa guests.

My massage room had two massage tables so it must be for couples usually. The rooms are painted in brown with soothing american Indian music.

Now for a real treat. If you have four or more in your party for a ladies weekend package you can get a suite. By suite what they really mean is condo. We had room 304. It had a huge living room, long bar stool area in the kitchen as well as a table that could be expand, full working kitchen with stove , refrigerator and dishwasher. There were two balconies one looking out from the side of the hotel on the left side with table and chairs. The other one facing the street from the master bedroom. The master bedroom has a king size bed, flat screen tv, spa tub and separate room for a shower. The next bed room down the hallway has a queen bed with a attached bathroom with a shower. It also has a walk in closet which I used to store my clothes but also as a changing room. It was huge. The last bedroom had two twins beds. There are no windows in this room but this can be an advantage for those that like to sleep in complete darkness. The queen and the king size bedrooms have big beautiful bedrooms but part of the window is up high without any shades on it. This can make your room lit up pretty early in the morning. You might want to bring an eye cover to wear to keep the light out if you are light sensitive. The queen room was the coldest room in the house not sure why it is nice that there are extra comforters in the closet if needed.

There is also a Murphy bed off of the kitchen with a complete queen sized bed. It looks like a giant built in closet. You wouldn't guess a bed is behind it. All the beds were comfortable with no complaints. I was surprised my sheets felt a little nubby but it didn't stop me from sleeping.

The third floor common area is for guests only. You have to have a key for that floor to use it. There is excerise equipment with a big flat screen tv in front of it, a pool table, tables with chairs if you wanted to sit and talk, play a game etc. There are some games and books available for use. There is a bar where you could serve drinks if you are there with a group.

We ate at the grill for both dinner and breakfast the next day. At night they had a two person band group play. They played some really good songs and sang great together. I had the coconut shrimp dinner with sweet potatoes and coleslaw it was very good. Others had the chicken quesadilla and chicken pasta dinner. I guess if you order this chicken dinner it is 500 calories. They had several items 500 calories. But is you wish you can get garlic bread with it but it ups the calorie count.

I highly recommend the eggs Benedict for breakfast and the lemon cake with rainbow sherbet was delicious for us to share. You would think lemon cake would be anything special it looks like just a white cake with custard in the middle with powdered sugar on top but it was very good. There is some kind of membership you can join for free and you can receive a 20% off coupon to use at the Grill restaurant or the shops. Good idea if you plan to come back I guess you get some discounts if you visit on your birthday or anniversary.

There is a room if you wanted to have a bridal or baby shower or meeting. I think this would be a great place to have a wedding as the gazebo on the hotel ground would be the perfect place to do it.

As far as the town it is with in walking distance of the hotel. Most of the shops close early on Saturday and most are closed on Sunday. So if you wish to explore plan accordingly but I think you will be satisfied with the boutiques in the hotel. There is also a Day lily garden about five minute drive but it is closed on Sundays too. You might want to make sure the day lilies are in bloom before you go.

All in all we really enjoyed our time here and would definitely come again. One of the ladies is already thinking she would like to bring her daughters up for a ladies get away too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura T
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
What a fantastic review - Thanks so much Laura! We so appreciate the time you took to review us, we hope to see again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gladwin
Quality Inn
Super 8 West Branch
Super 8 West Branch
#1 of 3 in West Branch
Lakeside Motel & Cottages

Been to Riverwalk Place? Share your experiences!