“Beautiful Place to Stay”
Review of Riverwalk Place

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gladwin
Riverwalk Place
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gladwin
Macomb, Michigan, United States
“Beautiful Place to Stay”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stopped here on the way home from a trip to Traverse City. Being our first time we didn't know what to expect but booked a few extras at their Spa, which was a first time experience also.

First I'd like to say we booked a double queen river view room and due to them selling our room we were pleasantly surprised by a suite upgrade. Lovely, lovely "condo" like room on the third floor facing the parking lot but also had a view of the river from the master bedroom and bath.

A few things noted that needed work on were the door off the balcony in the master bedroom wouldn't open...it seemed to be stuck so we didn't press it. The living room balcony/patio was huge! The main bath sink drain was extremely slow...it needed cleaned out I assume. The jacuzzi jets looked a bit brown and not so clean, so I was a bit concerned about using that. The stand up showers were great in two baths. My daughter was pleased to have her own room with TV.

One of the things I looked forward to was eating on the terrace by the river...wasn't so due to it being closed for weather reasons...too hot. The food in the Riverwalk Grille was sub par...we were the only guests in there and the food was nothing special at all. The french onion soup was a big disappointment and the sliced cheese laid on top made it look cheap. The taste was simple beef broth...no onion flavor at all...I sent it back and it was removed from my bill. I did not go into the lounge area so I cannot speak on that. I personally liked the back lit nature wall art.

There were a lot of little and BIG extras in this hotel...we will be going back. I hope to utilize the terrace and do hope they do something with their chefs and menu's soon...perhaps they would draw more customers to eat. I also want to walk along the river as I just didn't get the time due to such a short stay. There were kayaks in the river in the morning...too neat!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Sandra W
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Sandra - We loved hearing about your first time visit and plan to address each and every issue you mentioned. We hope your next visit will meet your expectations. Looking forward to hosting you again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We were looking for a one night get away for us ladies and Riverwalk Place fit the bill. The hotel looks brand new and quality built. After about a 2 1/2 ride from detroit we arrived at the hotel and were quickly drawn into the hotel boutiques. They merchandise is high quality with some attractive styles you don't find in the malls. This is a great plus. We found that we could not check into our room until 3 pm. It is unusual that their check in is actually from their health spa.

We had signed up for their ladies weekend special for $159 dollars a person. This includes your accommodations, 2 $10.00 off coupons for the grill restaurant, if you purchase $20.00 worth of merchandise you get $10.00 of your purchase. This is for both stores. You also get a spa treatment with a choice of 1 hour massage, pedicure or facial. You get free access to the hot tub and sauna all day. We chose to go there at 10 pm and had the place to ours selves. make sure to let the sauna heat up 15 minutes before you decide to use it.

We decided to go get something to eat first. We chose to sit outside on the terrace. It sits up high looking out on the grounds of the hotel leading down to the river.

On the grounds they have a gazebo with small water way with flowers along with a outside bar with roof. The food was absolutely fabulous. Not only was it delicious but also very affordable. A lot of the sandwiches and burgers were in the $7.99 to $9.99 range but they also had salads and entrees besides. By the time you have a soft drink and sandwich a majority of your meal is paid for with one of your $10.00 coupons. I ordered a greek turkey burger. It was the best turkey burger I ever had with feta cheese, and some olives on it with onion. Others in my group tried the fish tacos and seemed to enjoy it. We all sampled the turtle cheesecake which has a nut, caramel and chocolate topping.

I had heard one of the activities you can enjoy is kayaking, canoeing or tubing down the river. i didn't realize they came right past the hotel and end it at one corner of it. How convenient is that? I believe they drop you off and one point and then you end at the hotel grounds. There is a paved walking path that goes along the back of the hotel at least down to a campground further in town. The other direction leads you under the road to the other side where you can walk for some time. Very peaceful. I don't think the river is very deep especially by the hotel as when people stood up they weren't even knee deep. Other areas of the river are deeper. There is some kind of lawn game you can play which looks like giant badminton birdies that you toss unto a net to earn points.

We all took advantage of our coupons at the boutiques where they had some great sales making the prices even better. We decided to make our spa appointment late afternoon so we wouldn't be rushed. All of us had great relaxing massages and felt wonderful afterwards. Autumn did my massage. Mike is the only guy masseuse and two of the ladies in my group felt he did a very good massage as well. He also offered some helpful advise to my one friend that was useful. The spa waiting room was decorated with attractive layout with leather chairs and clothed chairs with animal print. They had a fake fireplace and tea and cookies for a snack. The ladies locker room had locked lockers where you could put all your personal belonging and also obtain a bath robe. They also had two showers for spa guests.

My massage room had two massage tables so it must be for couples usually. The rooms are painted in brown with soothing american Indian music.

Now for a real treat. If you have four or more in your party for a ladies weekend package you can get a suite. By suite what they really mean is condo. We had room 304. It had a huge living room, long bar stool area in the kitchen as well as a table that could be expand, full working kitchen with stove , refrigerator and dishwasher. There were two balconies one looking out from the side of the hotel on the left side with table and chairs. The other one facing the street from the master bedroom. The master bedroom has a king size bed, flat screen tv, spa tub and separate room for a shower. The next bed room down the hallway has a queen bed with a attached bathroom with a shower. It also has a walk in closet which I used to store my clothes but also as a changing room. It was huge. The last bedroom had two twins beds. There are no windows in this room but this can be an advantage for those that like to sleep in complete darkness. The queen and the king size bedrooms have big beautiful bedrooms but part of the window is up high without any shades on it. This can make your room lit up pretty early in the morning. You might want to bring an eye cover to wear to keep the light out if you are light sensitive. The queen room was the coldest room in the house not sure why it is nice that there are extra comforters in the closet if needed.

There is also a Murphy bed off of the kitchen with a complete queen sized bed. It looks like a giant built in closet. You wouldn't guess a bed is behind it. All the beds were comfortable with no complaints. I was surprised my sheets felt a little nubby but it didn't stop me from sleeping.

The third floor common area is for guests only. You have to have a key for that floor to use it. There is excerise equipment with a big flat screen tv in front of it, a pool table, tables with chairs if you wanted to sit and talk, play a game etc. There are some games and books available for use. There is a bar where you could serve drinks if you are there with a group.

We ate at the grill for both dinner and breakfast the next day. At night they had a two person band group play. They played some really good songs and sang great together. I had the coconut shrimp dinner with sweet potatoes and coleslaw it was very good. Others had the chicken quesadilla and chicken pasta dinner. I guess if you order this chicken dinner it is 500 calories. They had several items 500 calories. But is you wish you can get garlic bread with it but it ups the calorie count.

I highly recommend the eggs Benedict for breakfast and the lemon cake with rainbow sherbet was delicious for us to share. You would think lemon cake would be anything special it looks like just a white cake with custard in the middle with powdered sugar on top but it was very good. There is some kind of membership you can join for free and you can receive a 20% off coupon to use at the Grill restaurant or the shops. Good idea if you plan to come back I guess you get some discounts if you visit on your birthday or anniversary.

There is a room if you wanted to have a bridal or baby shower or meeting. I think this would be a great place to have a wedding as the gazebo on the hotel ground would be the perfect place to do it.

As far as the town it is with in walking distance of the hotel. Most of the shops close early on Saturday and most are closed on Sunday. So if you wish to explore plan accordingly but I think you will be satisfied with the boutiques in the hotel. There is also a Day lily garden about five minute drive but it is closed on Sundays too. You might want to make sure the day lilies are in bloom before you go.

All in all we really enjoyed our time here and would definitely come again. One of the ladies is already thinking she would like to bring her daughters up for a ladies get away too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Laura T
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
What a fantastic review - Thanks so much Laura! We so appreciate the time you took to review us, we hope to see again soon!
Plymouth, Michigan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

My boyfriend and I came to Riverwalk for a weekend getaway we bought the couples package. We had a nice relaxing time the room was clean and nice the staff was very nice and welcoming and the property was very nice.

Thank you for a great weekend!

Room Tip: 201 is a great room for a couples getaway. Nice view and Jacuzzi tub in the room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Meghan K, Guest Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
@AngBlue81 - So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay! We hope to see you again soon!
East Tawas, Michigan
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed in June for my husband's birthday and enjoyed it very much. Rooms were clean and convenient and very comfortable. We shopped and purchased some gifts downstairs in the quaint shops and visited the spa and purchased some products. We had drinks and food in the bar area which has a nice view of the river. Our Friends also stayed in another room down the hall and were very pleased with the accommodations and we both would recommend Riverwalk for a short or long stay. Everything was very neat and tidy and quaint. Gladwin also has some cute shops including a Perennial Farm out in the country listed in the Travel Guide for Gladwin book in each room. We are recommending Riverwalk to friends. Thank you!!! N&M

Room Tip: Our room was quiet and our friends were in a different hall and they felt it was very quiet.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

2 Thank marian c
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Marian - Happy Belated Birthday to your husband! We're so happy that you decided to celebrate at Riverwalk Place and to hear that you enjoyed a relaxing stay. We hope to see you all again soon!
Flint, Michigan, United States
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had some swelling in my leg due to surgery. My therapist recommended massage. I thought it would be fun to bring my daughter out for a spa treatment, as she has been so helpful in my recovery. Everyone at the spa was so friendly, especially the receptionist Jayne. My massage therapist, Kelli, helped my leg so much, and gave me much needed advice on how to take care of my leg at home, this experience was priceless. We did eat at the grill, the food was delicious.
I will certainly be back, and hopefully can convince my friends to come. I had a good nights sleep in the comfortable room, and as we were the only spa guests that night, my daughter and I enjoyed the hot tub by ourselves. This was a great experience

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Pamella W
Pamella - We're so glad to hear we were able to help with your recovery and that you enjoyed your stay. We hope to be your hosts again soon!
Shelby Township, Michigan, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Took my girlfriend for her birthday in January and had a wonderful stay. We liked it so much, we decided to have our wedding at Riverwalk later this year! The rooms are very nice and clean and the couples massage at the spa was very relaxing.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

1 Thank John F
Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
John - We love your review! So happy to hear that your stay was enjoyable and that we'll get to provide you and your bride with a wonderful wedding! See you both soon!
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed May 27, 2013

My husband & I stayed at Riverwalk in one of their condominium units for 10 days last summer & will be going back for 2 wks this July. We ate in the restaurant several times & had good luck with the service & food quality. The condos are set up for larger parties so could be more convenient for only 2 people - but they are well furnished & comfortable. The prices are on the high side - we pay less/night for comparable units in Hawaii & Florida - but, there is no competition in Gladwin, so there is nothing to moderate the prices. I agree with the other reviewers - I was very surprised to find Riverwalk available in a small community in rural Michigan.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Meghan K, Public Relations Manager at Riverwalk Place, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Jean - We're so happy to hear you are returning for an extended stay! We strive to be a destination that people want to return to and we greatly appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. See you soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gladwin
Quality Inn
#2 of 4 in Clare
Super 8 West Branch
Super 8 West Branch
#1 of 3 in West Branch

Been to Riverwalk Place? Share your experiences!