“Pleasantly Surprised”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Gladstone
Madison, Wisconsin
“Pleasantly Surprised”
Reviewed June 22, 2010

A good value for the money. Our room overlooked a beautiful and quiet bay. Onsite restaurant was lovely, Friday Fish Fry an excellent value.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank loripleas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Garden City, Michigan
Reviewed November 4, 2009

I have stayed there for several years usually in September to enjoy Michigan at its finest. I travel a great distance and expect management to be competent enough when they book a room in advance to have that room when you arrive. Well this year when I along with my fiancee arrived they said they gave the room to a golf outing party. They then went on to say well give you another room and 10% off. I booked this particular room due to its location and view egghead, if I wanted a different room I would have reserved it. The point being your only as good as your word and service and they both sucked!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sgtrico343
michigan
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I am responding to the post of the management of the hotel on October 12th from my September posting. In it they state that we were offered a 20% discount which is not true, we were only offered 10%. They also stated that this change of room was only for one night then we could have the room we requested and that is untrue also, we were NEVER told that. We also have never to this day received an apology for their error in giving the room we requested to someone else. Something else that makes no sense is that they stated that they were giving us a room that was ecactly the same as the room we requested but if that were the case why did they give our room to someone else, why not give the other people that room? It was because this room was the end room upstairs so you only had one room on the side of you, no rooms above you and it was right by the entrance/exit stairs so it was easy to come and go and to carry things in and out of the room. That is why we had called and reserved that certain room 4 months earlier and have every year since we started staying there. Also in response to their statement that I suggested that they move the people out of "my room" that is also untrue. What was said was when I asked to speak to the manager the hotel clerk said she would get him but she didn't know what I wanted because they weren't going to kick the people out of the room and when I spoke to the manager I said "You gave my room away", which they did.
Just no customer service here and like I said still to this day NO apology even though they admit they gave someone else the room that we had requested and reserved four months prior to our arrival.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank brira
White Cloud, Michigan
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I made reservations at the Terrace Bay Inn in Gladstone, MI in order to attend my youth pastor's wedding in Escanaba, MI. I was hesitant at first to make a reservation at somewhere other than a "chain hotel." And many of my fellow church-goers made reservations at chain hotels that are in Escanaba. Finding Terrace Bay Inn was super easy, even in the dark which is when I arrived. There's a billboard next to the road a few miles before you come upon the hotel, and a big sign out front right on US-2 at the driveway to the parking lot. The hotel clerk was polite, and my room was clean and comfortable. Very roomy! Bathroom, beds, shower, desk, chairs, etc were all clean! Plus, my room had a great view of Little Bay de Noc. The hotel has a restaurant that serves dinner, so ordering a pizza for room-service when I arrived was a great option... also the indoor hot tub and pool were clean and well-kept. I fell in love with the U.P. (this was my first time there) and will stay at this hotel should I travel to the area again. A side note, my friends who booked at the "chain" hotels in Escanaba were jealous of my inexpensive room rate and all the ammenities the Terrace Bay Inn offered. And my friends had views of parking lots and the highway from their room, and I had the bay! It was great! Oh - and Terrace Bay Inn offers in-room high-speed wireless internet!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Amy B
Minnesota
Reviewed July 24, 2009

We stayed here for one night in July 2009. We had their golf package which includes 1 night hotel stay, 18 holes of golf with cart, range balls, dinner with cocktail and breakfast. A good deal. The hotel is a bit old but it is clean and the rooms are comfortable. We had a room facing the bay and the night we were there, we sat on our balcony and watched Gladstone's fireworks! The restaurant at the hotel is nice and faced the water. The food and service was very good. We definitely would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed July 7, 2009

We live in Chicago but my husband is originally from the UP area. When it came to planning our wedding, we decided the UP would be a unique place to host a “destination” weekend. So we hosted our wedding at this hotel in June and so glad we did! We stayed for a week and had the majority of the rooms booked by the wedding on a Saturday. The staff at the Terrace Bay went out of there way to make our stay there wonderful! The manager, Mike, is very easy to work with and really does want to make sure you and your guests are happy along with the rest of the staff from the maids, front desk, bartenders, etc. Everyone made us feel very welcome and at home. The rooms aren't anything special but they are clean and comfortable and if you are on the bay side, have great views! I was almost sad to leave, it started to feel like home after 7 days! All of the rooms have two double beds, a table and two chairs plus a patio with a table and two chairs. There isn’t much in the room for perks (no hair dryers, irons, fridges, etc.) but there are coffee makers and the front desk will “rent” you an iron and ironing board. The shower was a little small but it had good pressure. The continental breakfast in the lobby is nice. Just enough to get us moving in the morning. We never actually ate in the restaurant for this trip but the food served for the wedding was fantastic! Everyone kept raving to us about it. Also the indoor pool is beautiful! Very large with windows everywhere. There is also a ping pong table, foosball and arcade games. The hot tub was also perfect to sit and unwind in after a long weekend of planning. If you are looking for a nice place to stay with wonderful views, great people and good food, I would highly recommend the Terrace. And I would definitely recommend them to host your wedding or other big event!

• Stayed June 2009
Sebewaing, Michigan
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We, two sisters and our adult daughters, visited the Terrace Bay Inn while attending a wedding in Gladstone. The reception was held there as well which made for a perfect location. It really is an all-season resort. We didn't use the enclosed pool, but it looked very nice, with a hottub, ping pong, and foosball table. I saw a small arcade room. Our room had walk out access to Little Bay de Noc, which in February would be nice if you were there to ice fish. The resort actually had a fish cleaning facility, not something I have ever seen at a motel. Our room was fine, all we needed. The pillows left something to be desired, not very thick. Maybe ask for a few more. We had a complimentary breakfast which was very nice. Make-your-own-waffles were delicious, plus muffins, fruit, coffee, juice, certainly adequate. I heard they also have a bowling alley at the motel. Check out their website for a great story of the resort history. Staff was very friendly. The bar is a great piece of history, and we were told that you can call a cab if you want to go party in Escanaba.

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — Bed pillows.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
2 Thank tk4books
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gladstone
Quality Inn & Suites Escanaba
#1 of 10 in Escanaba
Lakeside Motor Inn
Lakeside Motor Inn
#2 of 2 in Gladstone

Been to Terrace Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!